Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 177 178 [179] 180 181 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1275198 times)

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Re: PoH's Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #2670 on: August 27, 2012, 10:11:32 am »

... wrong thread?

Jervill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2671 on: August 27, 2012, 10:24:13 am »

Maybe he's referring to the Arizona law thing?

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2672 on: August 27, 2012, 12:48:42 pm »

Wait. I thought this was the thread for stuff not big enough to rage about. See, sleep deprivation is getting to me. I feel really freaking stupid now.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2673 on: August 27, 2012, 03:53:03 pm »

Happy: Bill Nye rips creationists a new one.

WTF: Georgia investigators uncover an anarchist militia within the US Army which was plotting to kill the President and overthrow the US government.

I'm pretty certain those guys could be facing death by firing squad now. They'll be lucky if it gets tossed to a civilian court.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2674 on: August 27, 2012, 03:58:19 pm »

The second link isn't working for me redking.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2675 on: August 27, 2012, 04:06:41 pm »

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #2676 on: August 27, 2012, 04:12:41 pm »

Just finished reading that article. There are a lot of really bad comments below it.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2677 on: August 27, 2012, 04:15:33 pm »

Yeah that's pretty WTF. Wonder what would've happened if they had stayed undetected longer. Would we have the next Timothy McVeigh?
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2678 on: August 27, 2012, 04:50:17 pm »

Very scary.
Love, scriver~

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2679 on: August 27, 2012, 04:52:33 pm »

Remember me of an article in the Economist about how the GOP destroyed the (small-ish) units within the DHS that was researching right-wing terrorrism, because it's obviously an agenda to restrict 2nd amendment freedoms and smack the right...

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #2680 on: August 27, 2012, 05:54:08 pm »

Happy: Bill Nye rips creationists a new one.

No idea where to stand on this one. Want to respect people's beliefs, but then a.) how do you explain all those dinosaurs, and b.) a lot of people's beliefs say I'm evil.... ???

I think the travesty of it all is, we don't teach kids in that grouping how to think and arrive at ideas: the process of it. O sure, we don't do too great of a job at that generally, but to just shut down the process deliberately is sad. There's a reason we have hypothesis thinking. There's a reason we should have paragraph and sentence structure (I'm talking the more advanced stuff). Without that organization we get stuff like "I can see Russia from my house," and "Taxing the rich won't matter." People don't automatically think about how to justify their actions before they do them. That's sort of a problem.

Then there's this.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/paul-slansky-/paul-ryan-said-something-_b_1832377.html
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 06:03:18 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2681 on: August 28, 2012, 04:54:14 am »

Respecting people's belief? Why? You can respect people people without respecting their belief, and if they're wrong you actually do them a disservice by respecting their ideas.

As for Ryan, well, that's liberals making a big fuss out of nothing, like the conservatives did about Biden's comment about the chain. Rape can be a method of conception. A terrible, horrible one, but since it cause pregnancy, it's definitevely a method of conception.

If you share his premise that a foetus is living and that abortion is murder, it doesn't make sense to allow it in case of rapes. Why punish the baby? He didn't do a thing.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 05:01:00 am by Sheb »

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #2682 on: August 28, 2012, 10:34:59 am »

I don't like Paul Ryan overmuch, but he is technically correct that it is a (terrible, unthinkable, unwanted) method of conception. It was a pretty dumb way to put it, but my bar for him was never really high in the first place. If we're throwing stone about getting people off the presidential ticket:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that hosting private fundraisers for expats and foreign nationals is illegal.
Quote from: Supreme Court 9-0 decision in Bluman v. Federal Election Commission

(a) Prohibition

It shall be unlawful for —

(1) a foreign national, directly or indirectly, to make —

(A) a contribution or donation of money or other thing of value, or to make an express or implied promise to make a contribution or donation, in connection with a Federal, State, or local election;

(B) a contribution or donation to a committee of a political party; or

(C) an expenditure, independent expenditure, or disbursement for an electioneering communication (within the meaning of section 434(f)(3) of this title); or

(2) a person to solicit, accept, or receive a contribution or donation described in subparagraph (A) or (B) of paragraph (1) from a foreign national.

2 U.S.C. § 441e(a).[fn2] The statute continues to define “foreign national” to include all foreign citizens except those who have been admitted as lawful permanent residents. Id. § 441e(b).

$75,000 for a seat at a fundraiser dinner for expats.
Romney added a further $2 million to his coffers at a $75,000-a-head dinner for affluent US expatriates, held at the Mandarin Oriental Hotel on Thursday.

Also seen here.

Headline: Mitt Romney aims to leapfrog Barack Obama with expat fundraising
The Republican candidate and former boss of Bain Capital, has tapped deep into his network of banking and private equity contacts to fill places at a £50,000-a-plate dinner at to be held at a secret location in London.

And so forth.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2683 on: August 28, 2012, 10:46:07 am »

Those are US citizens living in Britain. What's the problem?

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2684 on: August 28, 2012, 10:56:25 am »

Yeah, they're not actually foreign nationals so I don't see any issue.
Pages: 1 ... 177 178 [179] 180 181 ... 759