Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 156 157 [158] 159 160 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1275581 times)

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
Re: PoH's Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #2355 on: July 24, 2012, 01:11:46 pm »

Lynching it is not. A lynching is a public murder. That's breaking and entering, assault, and arson.

If she was dragged out into the street, hung up on a lamp post while a crowd watched, that would be a lynching.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2356 on: July 24, 2012, 01:31:25 pm »

Still attempted murder.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2357 on: July 24, 2012, 03:11:34 pm »

http://hardware.slashdot.org/story/12/07/23/1615213/us-regaining-manufacturing-might-with-robots-and-3d-printing

The future of robotic manufacture:

one of China’s largest manufacturers, Taiwan-based Foxconn Technology Group, announced last August that it plans to install one million robots within three years to do the work that its workers in China presently do. It found Chinese labor to be too expensive and demanding.

If Chinese labor is "too expensive" dropping the US minimum wage to "be competitive" isn't going to help.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2358 on: July 24, 2012, 03:19:56 pm »

I think the point was that the American robot slaves will do the work, and they don't need to be paid at all. 

This is actually pretty interesting, as with the prices of 3d printing and manufacturing coming down, I can see China losing a lot of its employers, which could potentially be catastrophic. 
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 03:21:39 pm by Levi »
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2359 on: July 24, 2012, 03:35:17 pm »

Yeah, but the Chinese robot workers will work on even less maintenance than those lazy American robots with their greedy demands for "oil" and "gaskets" and "electricity".

I'm telling you, the robot unions are going to kill this country.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #2360 on: July 24, 2012, 04:00:53 pm »

« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 09:50:22 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2361 on: July 24, 2012, 04:11:58 pm »

I rather love the idea of a knockoff Chinese Terminator. It will be called the XTerminator. (See ma? No copyright infringement!)
And it will utter catch phrases like "I'll return."

Or, it might just look like this:

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2362 on: July 24, 2012, 04:13:00 pm »

Chinese managers save the "good stuff" for local engineering projects. Quite simply because they execute people for taking "short cuts" about things the party cares about.

They have the three longest bridges in the world, you can bet they spared no expense ensuring those were solid (bullet to the head for failure is a good incentive).

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2363 on: July 24, 2012, 07:38:42 pm »

Yet more Chick-fil-A fallout.

Boston mayor bans them from the city.

Then there is this.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
"They aren't boycotting us. Their toys aren't safe for children! We cut ties with them!"

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2364 on: July 24, 2012, 07:43:03 pm »

People should go around with sticky notes that say "Lies and Treason!" and put them on those signs.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2365 on: July 24, 2012, 07:54:12 pm »

The blatant lying is pretty bad, but I disagree with the Boston mayor's decision. Banning a restaurant chain seems like a violation of free speech to me.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2366 on: July 24, 2012, 08:05:14 pm »

Companies aren't people. They don't have the right to free speech.

Though I wonder just how he got that past the city council and such, though. Bit more authority than I imagine a mayor actually has, at least alone.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #2367 on: July 24, 2012, 10:53:14 pm »

Quote from: The United States Constitution, 1st Amendment
Congress shall make no law.

So yeah, they do have a right to free speech.

I also find it priceless that anyone would argue that certain huge corporations (and labour unions, but no one talks about them) shouldn't be allowed freedom of speech, but other huge corporations (Specifically, news corporations) are allowed to be gigantic propaganda factories on the basis on specifically making money from it.
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2368 on: July 24, 2012, 11:00:08 pm »

Quote from: The United States Constitution, 1st Amendment
Congress shall make no law.

So yeah, they do have a right to free speech.

I also find it priceless that anyone would argue that certain huge corporations (and labour unions, but no one talks about them) shouldn't be allowed freedom of speech, but other huge corporations (Specifically, news corporations) are allowed to be gigantic propaganda factories on the basis on specifically making money from it.
I don't really agree with the Mayor of Boston's decision, but Freedom of Speech only applies to people. That's why the First Amendment specifically mentions Freedom of the Press, and that is what news corporations fall under. A business that isn't press doesn't necessarily have a right to free speech except that the Supreme Court has ruled that they do.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #2369 on: July 24, 2012, 11:04:46 pm »

Though I wonder just how he got that past the city council and such, though. Bit more authority than I imagine a mayor actually has, at least alone.

The republican appointed majority of the supreme court disagrees with you.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.
Pages: 1 ... 156 157 [158] 159 160 ... 759