Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1274032 times)

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
Re: PoH's Calm and Cool Progressive Expression Thread
« Reply #225 on: March 06, 2012, 02:55:28 am »

Among those things they'd need: sanity.
Did you even read the project they outlined? Let me tell you, sanity will not help make any progress with that. If anything, sane statements like, "But Wyoming is completely landlocked!" or "Who, exactly, are we going to be launching aircraft at from Yellowstone Lake?" are a hindrance to the whole scheme. A scheme, might I add, that will inevitably result in the best possible place to build a chief of state's residence: the beached ruins of an aircraft carrier in a dried-up lakebed. Just think of the aesthetics.

The legal research behind Wyoming buying an aircraft carrier...?

Alright, seriously though, I just had to look further into this thing and thankfully it appears Wyoming will not be buying an aircraft carrier or looking into other defense plans for now by a margin of just 3 votes....

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It appears that, on reflection, the Wyoming House of Representatives has decided the risk of invasion by its neighbors is remote enough that it can do without its own armed forces for now, and in particular does not need to consider whether an aircraft carrier might come in handy. http://legisweb.state.wy.us/2012/Digest/HB0085.htm

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Sadly, that is indeed the case. Turns out this bill had a very short lifespan, having been introduced just a couple of weeks ago. It did pass an initial vote (43-17), although that may be pretty common. But trouble appeared on the 24th, when the amount appropriated was cut in half. The armed-forces amendment was adopted Feb. 27th, but appears to have been deleted by a later amendment, either later in the day or the 28th.... Even without the aircraft-carrier language, though, the bill itself failed on the 28th on the third reading, though only by three votes (27-30), with three abstaining (or "excused") from the vote.

Rep. Brown was not a sponsor of the bill, although he does seem to have voted for it on the first reading; he later offered the aircraft-carrier amendment, and then voted against the whole thing on the 28th in the third reading (final). So, although he hasn't confirmed it yet, it does look like he may be one of those relatively rare legislators with both a sense of humor and the will to express it in a piece of legislation (which he knew would be deleted). It's nice to be able to get humor out of a legislature this way for once.

Though I'm eternally jaded and skeptical, I'll give Rep. Brown the benefit of the doubt this time.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 03:02:25 am by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: March 06, 2012, 03:00:13 am »

Sweet Siddhartha, these people have absolutely no idea what they're doing, do they?  As much as I find appeal in the audacity of trying to wing it for your entire career, this may be an exception. 
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: March 06, 2012, 03:20:40 am »

Sweet Siddhartha, these people have absolutely no idea what they're doing, do they?  As much as I find appeal in the audacity of trying to wing it for your entire career, this may be an exception.

I'm gonna go with, "no, they don't." Even assuming Representative Brown adding in that part about the aircraft carrier for a landlocked state was a joke (maybe it was, maybe he was serious and nuts), 27 out of 60 still voted for the bill.... Only 30 out of 60 voted against it.... I'm just gonna let people here fill in the blanks.

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: March 06, 2012, 09:20:42 am »

We've been sitting here for a while discussing the relative sanity of a doubly landlocked state buying or not buying itself an aircraft carrier. Let me fix that with a new show I've found, starring Victoria Jackson, by the name of Politichicks, in which four unbelievably bigoted women have a pow-wow about gay Muslims. You can find Episode 1 here.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: March 06, 2012, 09:36:49 am »

Urge to write sexist comments... RISING

Honestly though, I didn't finish watching it, but damn that was embarrassing. For their sake. Or well, for the one with the song's sake. Man, you could even feel the awkwardness of the others through the medium. Especially the black chick, she seemed all "I thought we came here for discussion, not tea party shit talking; what the hell is that woman doing?"
Love, scriver~

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: March 06, 2012, 09:39:42 am »

Wow. The Wyoming thing is just....let me put it this way. When you live in a state where mountain goats outnumber the humans, and the average population density is around that of Mongolia....shit gets a little stir-crazy.

So...haven't seen it talked about, but boy is the Schadenfreude flowing watching Rush Limbaugh talk himself into the ground over the Sarah Fluke thing. I say kudos to Fluke for bascially saying "Fuck your apology," and to the sponsors for pulling their ads even after his "apology". Between that and Breitbart taking a dirt nap (yeah I said it), it's been a good week or so for progressives.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: March 06, 2012, 11:30:16 am »

Giving people like Limbaugh enough rope to hang themselves works pretty well.

Team Wyoming: World Police would be hilarious, if it wasnt actually someones actual real batshit crazy idea. Nobody tell Scotland, they have enough grand plans of thier own.
This is a blank sig.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: March 06, 2012, 12:20:50 pm »

We've been sitting here for a while discussing the relative sanity of a doubly landlocked state buying or not buying itself an aircraft carrier. Let me fix that with a new show I've found, starring Victoria Jackson, by the name of Politichicks, in which four unbelievably bigoted women have a pow-wow about gay Muslims. You can find Episode 1 here.

Until I looked at the video, I seriously read that as Politic Hicks rather than Politi-Chicks. This honestly almost borders of parody... but it's not funny...

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #233 on: March 06, 2012, 01:34:16 pm »

I'm pretty sure Wyoming also has a law against hunting whales in it's waters. So yeah...

Do you see any Whales in Wyoming? Oh that's right, the pond-hunters killed them all :|

Also, you'd be surprised the loopholes people would abuse if these laws didn't exist :P

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: March 06, 2012, 01:38:27 pm »

Until I looked at the video, I seriously read that as Politic Hicks rather than Politi-Chicks. This honestly almost borders of parody... but it's not funny...
The same could be said of quite a few things in the U.S. at the moment, and that scares me. I've said it before: it feels as if we're living in a Tom Tomorrowesque bizarro world when current events read like a comedian's list of jokes.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: March 06, 2012, 01:59:12 pm »

Every night, the writers of Steven Colbert go to bed a little bit happier, as current politics make their job a little bit easier.

Though of course, they're worried that they'll be out of a job if this goes on any longer. All Steve will have to do in a few years months is just read off current events and headlines. :/
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: March 06, 2012, 02:18:40 pm »

He had a good one the other night when he mentioned that the Sarah Fluke testimony "irritated radio talk-show host and poster boy for contraception, Rush Limbaugh". Wordplay FTW.  :P

I'm hoping this turns into a "bridge too far" moment for Rush. He's already been dropped by 2 stations, a number of others are coming under concerted pressure to do so, and there are rumblings that the Armed Forces Network (the Pentagon's worldwide radio network) is coming under serious pressure from female vets and active duty soldiers to drop him. If he loses AFN, that's a BIG blow to his credibility (and bottom line).

For their part, I think there are more than a few people in the GOP establishment who would love to see Rush go down in flames, so they wouldn't have to worry about his rabble-rousing against them every time they have to cut a compromise deal. Boehner came out today criticizing Limbaugh, and why not? He's already lost every shred of credibility with the Tea Party types, so why not jump on the chance to take down one of their demagogues?

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: March 06, 2012, 03:37:20 pm »

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kevinunderhill/2012/03/05/attorney-general-explains-why-its-okay-to-kill-u-s-citizens-without-a-trial/

Attorney General Eric Holder scares the living shit out of me. This article explains exactly why. Seriously, we're a police state now. If some undisclosed official uses undisclosed evidence saying he thinks you're a national security threat of some undisclosed type, then you are and a fucking bomb can be dropped on you. I can't believe that's right. I keep reading that sentence over and over again thinking it can't be true, but somehow it appears to be. So, we can with complete lack of any accountability or even review after the fact kill pretty much anyone at any time?

It just blows my mind, you can't have a trial even after the fact or before in the absence of the accused? A court hearing? Something? Anything? We're basically giving the unchecked power of being judge jury and executioner to ... who exactly? It's not even the President. It's some bureaucrat with no name or accountability to anyone...?

Please don't quote me.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: March 06, 2012, 03:56:50 pm »

He had a good one the other night when he mentioned that the Sarah Fluke testimony "irritated radio talk-show host and poster boy for contraception, Rush Limbaugh". Wordplay FTW.  :P
Zing! Burn!

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kevinunderhill/2012/03/05/attorney-general-explains-why-its-okay-to-kill-u-s-citizens-without-a-trial/

Attorney General Eric Holder scares the living shit out of me. This article explains exactly why. Seriously, we're a police state now. If some undisclosed official uses undisclosed evidence saying he thinks you're a national security threat of some undisclosed type, then you are and a fucking bomb can be dropped on you. I can't believe that's right. I keep reading that sentence over and over again thinking it can't be true, but somehow it appears to be. So, we can with complete lack of any accountability or even review after the fact kill pretty much anyone at any time?

It just blows my mind, you can't have a trial even after the fact or before in the absence of the accused? A court hearing? Something? Anything? We're basically giving the unchecked power of being judge jury and executioner to ... who exactly? It's not even the President. It's some bureaucrat with no name or accountability to anyone...?
I know this only works for people outside the country, but I can't help but think of all the political enemies of other countries that are living in exile right now.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: March 06, 2012, 04:03:43 pm »

It just blows my mind
Use of that figure of speech is becoming ever more dangerous.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 759