Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1273978 times)

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
Re: PoH's Calm and Cool Progressive Expression Thread
« Reply #195 on: March 05, 2012, 06:01:46 pm »

Lately I've been liking the idea of something like Demarchy as an alternative to democracy and a solution to government corruption(which I think is rampant).  Demarchy is where the decision makers are essentially chosen at random from the country's population to serve some period of time instead of being elected. 

In theory it helps eliminate the possibility of corruption because the person's career is no longer tied to politics.  People might say that "You've got a chance of getting people who are incompetent in government with Demarchy.", but I'm not convinced that isn't the case now.  :)
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: March 05, 2012, 06:21:30 pm »

We do that for jury duty, and the Athenians also used that (one month on the senate for all randomly selected citizens i think).

If you assign most people to committees etc rather than individual responsibility then you also mitigate the damage a single poor choice makes.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: March 05, 2012, 06:35:24 pm »

Yep, China may be half the current U.S. GDP but they doubled that in only 5 years. So looks likely that China's GDP will surpass USA very soon.
Total GDP, possibly. But per capita is unlikely. Most of the gains made by China are due to infrastructure improvements. They're very much still developing. To catch up with the US in per-capita income, they'd still need to pass the part where a large part of the work force receives higher education and the part where the social and economical styructures are (
somewhat) sanitized. Sure, the US could gain some on the later points, but not nearly as much as China still has to catch up.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: March 05, 2012, 06:38:57 pm »

I agree on per-capita, but that's never been the source of power. Total economic capacity is power, not per capita wealth.

In fact, i'd make the argument that western wealth (or concentration thereof) is built on out-sourcing low-paying jobs to poor countries. Those become a de facto part of your economy, so the higher per-capita wealth of the west is partially illusionary since those economic structures couldn't exist without those sweatshops in third world partner countries.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 06:43:00 pm by Reelya »

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: March 05, 2012, 06:44:58 pm »

So what you are saying is that everything we buy was produced by cheap over seas labour?

Remind me, was blatant, over the top sarcasm allowed in this thread?

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: March 05, 2012, 08:59:20 pm »

What exactly happened to the UN, which doesn't appear to be doing a whole lot, despite there being numerous humanitarian disasters in the world?

It's hard to get the UN to do anything useful when a veto is pulled out of someone's pocket at the thought of even something as simple as a written condemnation of Israel's actions. Although, in this case, it's actually Russia/China being the bad guys. Everyone has their fingers in the middle east at this point.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: March 05, 2012, 10:36:17 pm »

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/06/us/politics/holder-explains-threat-that-would-call-for-killing-without-trial.html

I love living in a police state.... How is this not in violation of the 14th amendment? So judge, jury, and executioner....

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/03/04/7th-advertiser-pulls-out-limbaughs-show/?test=latestnews

Let's take the rest of 'em out of the equation.... Also the link says "7th," but it's really, "9th."
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

trees

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUNDANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: March 05, 2012, 11:32:33 pm »

I'm... not sure why it took me this long to find the progressive thread's reboot. Hm.

http://news.yahoo.com/ap-exclusive-obamas-transgender-ex-nanny-outcast-070907242.html
Worldwide, at least one person is killed every other day, according to the Trans Murder Monitoring Project, which collects homicide reports.

I sure feel safe, now. Ugh.
I am often bad at phrasing things - don't hesitate to ask for clarification if something I said doesn't make sense.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: March 05, 2012, 11:39:08 pm »

Are you trans, trees?
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

trees

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUNDANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: March 05, 2012, 11:45:46 pm »

Yeah.
I am often bad at phrasing things - don't hesitate to ask for clarification if something I said doesn't make sense.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: March 05, 2012, 11:46:37 pm »

* Descan hugs trees.

* Descan is a tree-hugger, now.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: March 05, 2012, 11:57:37 pm »

That makes what... four, five? We attract a lot of outliers.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: March 05, 2012, 11:59:46 pm »

Seriously, this forum's demographics are definitely not at all in line with the larger population. Or even the internet population, for that matter.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: March 06, 2012, 12:02:09 am »

Seriously, this forum's demographics are definitely not at all in line with the larger population. Or even the internet population, for that matter.

Or it is in line, and the larger population is awfully discreet.   :P
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #209 on: March 06, 2012, 12:06:29 am »

I dunno, ~10 in 54,000 seems basically in line with 'real world' statistics.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 759