Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1274407 times)

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: PoH's Calm and Cool Progressive Expression Thread
« Reply #1050 on: April 19, 2012, 06:21:14 pm »

We are a police state.

When Fikre was released on Sept. 14, he had lost nearly 30 pounds. He has applied for asylum in Sweden.

Yeah, he wasn't tortured. He was just on a diet.... Really?
So...

Is this a, "if you're Muslim, you're fair game, and your rights will be violated" thing?

Why does this remind me of the "War Relocation Camps" Japanese Americans went to?

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #1051 on: April 19, 2012, 06:44:35 pm »

« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 09:31:57 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1052 on: April 19, 2012, 07:05:33 pm »

Meh. Does multiculturalism include respecting cultural aspects that discriminate against women?
No.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1053 on: April 19, 2012, 07:16:43 pm »

I don't believe there's ever a good reason to respect something you morally disagree with (save maybe some auxiliary pragmatic goal).

When it comes to respecting culture, you just need more reason than "I don't understand it" or "I don't like it" before you're justified in mocking it, I think. There's no further obligation.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1054 on: April 19, 2012, 07:21:03 pm »

There's a difference between respecting a culture and respecting it's aspects though. You can criticize misogynist practices in Arab culture without disrespecting people for being Arab.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1055 on: April 19, 2012, 07:28:43 pm »

http://news.yahoo.com/gop-pushes-business-tax-cut-divided-house-175922596--finance.html
Lick your masters' hands for the scraps.... Maybe they'll give you some, maybe they won't. "Small business tax cut" [smirks] either show me specifically where there is an upper limit to this tax break that doesn't include Mr. Burns, or have the decency to call it what it is....

"The House GOP measure would let employers with fewer than 500 workers deduct 20 percent of their domestic earnings this year."

So, are they incompetent, in a coma, or just plain old in on it? Your "Jobs Bill" rewards people with FEWER employees? Fewer? Why not cap the earnings, even at a couple or a few million? Why not have the tax break scale up and provide a greater tax break to businesses who employ MORE employees? Especially reward businesses who hire NEW employees.... Did they just not think of that or were they paid not to? So now with a dummy corporate structure, you can use accounting tricks to move domestic earnings to a smaller subsidiary company with no or few employees and...... Does everyone see the tax loophole giant expressway with a sign saying how to get out of paying taxes for bigger businesses?

I don't believe there's ever a good reason to respect something you morally disagree with (save maybe some auxiliary pragmatic goal).

When it comes to respecting culture, you just need more reason than "I don't understand it" or "I don't like it" before you're justified in mocking it, I think. There's no further obligation.

I like treating everyone the same. Doesn't matter who you are or where you come from. That's colorblindness. This multiculturalism thing, I don't care for it. It's completely impractical in the real world. You're just a collection of atoms and molecules like everybody else. Don't give a shit what color you are; don't care about anything about you. Next person in line please.... Don't give a shit, I got 20 more to do today and do not have time to care about those details. I said NEXT! :P
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 07:36:01 pm by Truean »

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1056 on: April 20, 2012, 12:56:49 am »

I don't think you understand what "multiculturalism" even means, Truean. Care to explain what you believe it is?

The difference is that while you might disagree with and argue and work against the misogynic parts of the culture, you should still respect an adult woman's choice to wear depersonalising clothing. It doesn't matter if she has been brainwashed or indoctrinated, it's still her choice.
Love, scriver~

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1057 on: April 20, 2012, 12:59:21 am »

'Course. Forcing them to wear some other type of clothing would be exactly the same, just with a different outfit.
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #1058 on: April 20, 2012, 02:34:35 am »

As for the 500 and under tax cuts deal, while not a real solution by any means (We need to tax people who own the wealth, not the people who are already living hand to mouth), it's not quite as bad as you make it out to be.  I'd actually be fine with smaller companies in general being taxed far less than larger ones.  Of course, employee count is a dumb metric to go by, and a very gameable one.  Of course, it's important to note that literally none of these tax savings will trickle down or create jobs.  Companies will always tend to run as close to the metal as they can, and any savings in overhead are going to be pocketed directly. 

Edit:  To go further on the whole "rewarding people who create less jobs", I see that as a fallacy, but only because capitalism's entire drive is not to create jobs at all.  The endgame of capitalism is basically one company that is entirely automated with everyone in the world reliant on their products.  There's very little you can do to coax people with capital people into creating jobs, so long as manpower is undervalued, and it's always more profitable and less risky to simply invest excess money in financials.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 02:52:39 am by Capntastic »

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1059 on: April 20, 2012, 07:33:35 am »

Some issues with the Arpanio case.
Now that Arpaio’s prosecutor sidekick has been disbarred for what the a panel of the Arizona court system found to be “evidence … beyond a reasonable doubt” of “a criminal conspiracy,” the odds that there is enough to convict Shurf Joe have shortened enormously. [ Text of Arizona disbarment findings.] That makes me tend to agree with the four prosecutors who just issued a statement calling on Eric Holder to fish or cut bait.

Still, this isn’t a simple problem. Holder works for Barack Obama. Barack Obama is running for re-election, with Arizona in play. Arpaio is a  pillar of Arizona’s Republican establishment, and just pulled a “birther” stunt - covered as straight news by media outlets that should have known better - which might well have been designed to make an indictment appear to be retaliation.

The day Arpaio is indicted, the Shurf himself, with half of Wingnutistan on his side, is going to start howling about politicized law enforcement. And even his enemies have to admit that, on that topic, Arpaio is an accredited expert.
Links at original.

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1060 on: April 20, 2012, 10:06:12 am »

I don't think you understand what "multiculturalism" even means, Truean. Care to explain what you believe it is?
What is multiculturalism? Different people seem to use it to refer to very different concepts.
Soaplent green is goblins!

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1061 on: April 20, 2012, 10:50:51 am »

True, that's why I asked True to explain her idea of it before I start ranting about my own.
Love, scriver~

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1062 on: April 20, 2012, 11:10:55 am »

Much to my dismay, I do. I know what it pretends to be: the answer to human conflicts based on different cultures through tolerance, education and understanding of said cultures. Human beings, all of them, are despicable things incapable of understanding, tolerance or being educated. Teaching people about other cultures and tolerance thereof? It's a wasted effort at best.

Want different people to "play nice together?" The best you can hope for is colorblindness and the idea that people just treat everyone the same. An individual person [singular] might, MIGHT be able to be smart. People [plural] are dumb, dangerous, panicky stupid animals and you know it. They'll literally kill other people to save a few dollars. If we can't explain to people why trampling someone else for a better deal on some stupid product or products is a bad idea, then how does anyone intend to teach them about other cultures? You might as well be trying to teach them trigonometry; people won't get it. And even if they had the slightest possibility of being able to so much as comprehend it, they'd never accept it, really accept it when no one is watching.

Please don't quote me.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1063 on: April 20, 2012, 11:13:19 am »

Are you being hyperbolic or did you just call every single human being a misanthropic?

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1064 on: April 20, 2012, 11:18:01 am »

And do you realise you contradicted your linked definition of multiculturalism in your rant?  It's about allowing multiple cultures in society rather than trying to push everyone towards the same one.

Other than that it's quite difficult to respond since none of your links are relevant to your points, and your points seem to just be asserting that people are too stupid to get multiculturalism.
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 759