Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Kobold Zombie Picked a Lock!  (Read 1791 times)

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
Kobold Zombie Picked a Lock!
« on: March 01, 2012, 01:27:50 am »

It wasn't trying to enter the fort, but instead random-wandered into the previously zombie-proof door. It is also immune to the cage trap on the other side. The horde of 90+ zombies and a few necromancers outside are now converging on the front door. If I survive this, I am so going to build drawbridges for emergency isolation.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
Re: Kobold Zombie Picked a Lock!
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 01:29:48 am »

Oh dear.

They aren't very cute when they're destroying the world ...
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 01:33:40 am »

Yup. Sucks that they keep their natural kobald abilities like that. Not encountered em yet (zombified), but all the talk on here about it has me planning ahead :D
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 01:48:50 am »

Survived. The kobold corpse was busy bashing the poor guard dog, so I dispatched the militia commander to the scene, who took it down with a few strikes of his artifact iron spear. I then ordered him to exit through the front door, so I could regain the ability to forbid it. Thankfully, he retreated once I canceled his move order, so I was able to lock out the zombies without a heroic sacrifice being necessary. The door has now been walled off.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 01:57:56 am »

Genius move, and the RNG was with you!

Your predicament was absolutely hilarious, though :P
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2012, 02:01:27 am »

Do doors that are set as pet-impassible stop being pet-impassible when kobolds pick them? I hope not, because I'm kind of reliant on pet-impassible doors to keep the zombie horses out.

If they don't, having three or four pet-impassible doors and/or hatches between you and the outside could be a fine way of at least limiting the number of zombies that can invade you.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2012, 02:20:07 am »

The trick is to set up a repeating spike hallway with the best spikes you can find as a shorter, straighter enterance set as a high traffic zone and a longer path around it as a low traffic zone for your dwarves.  As invaders ignore your traffic designations, they will generally follow the shortest path.

...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2012, 02:32:54 am »

They aren't very cute when they're destroying the world ...

Lets face it, Kobolds are still cute when they're apocalyptic walking corpses

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2012, 03:20:52 am »

Not only can they pick locks. I noticed undead kobolds can be hidden/invisible as well.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

JelloSnark

• Bay Watcher
  • Ever play Half-Life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2012, 03:39:02 am »

I wonder if you chopped one to bits if the limbs could also pick the locks. I'm seeing in my mind a kobold hand sticking it's finger into the lock and jiggling it around.
Beware... while my screen-name has 'Snark' in it, I am actually Snarky.
Hehe
'Nom Nom Nom'
God of god of god.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2012, 03:44:51 am »

Not only can they pick locks. I noticed undead kobolds can be hidden/invisible as well.

NO-ONE expects the kobold imposition!

(Dun-dun-DUNNN!!)

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2012, 08:35:42 am »

Only kobolds would run though one dead trap (evil biome) into another dead trap (your fort) for a sock.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2012, 10:09:03 am »

Sounds like it's time to resurrect the obsidian sealer.

Lever engages two pumps pumping magma and water respectively, while also opening floodgates protecting fortifications. The two mix, and seal the tile in the middle.

Easy way to automatically seal all entrances without worrying about dwarfs cancelling the project.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2012, 02:35:07 pm »

Only kobolds would run though one death trap (evil biome) into another death trap (your fort) for a sock.

Only Kobolds would continue stealing said sock when they're dead

pushy

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2012, 11:52:36 am »

The trick is to set up a repeating spike hallway with the best spikes you can find as a shorter, straighter enterance set as a high traffic zone and a longer path around it as a low traffic zone for your dwarves.  As invaders ignore your traffic designations, they will generally follow the shortest path.
You've got the traffic zones the wrong way round - the shorter entrance is set to low/restricted-traffic so it costs more points for dwarves to travel through it, and the longer entrance is set to high-traffic so it costs fewer points for them to travel through it.

Only kobolds would run though one dead trap (evil biome) into another dead trap (your fort) for a sock.
No, dwarves are very fond of going through both death traps in the reverse order for a sock :P
Quote from: Tim Edwards, PC Gamer UK
There are three things I know about dwarves:
1. They've got beards. Even the women.
2. They're short. Especially the women.
3. They're Scottish.