Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: "Keydanced" - An Analysis  (Read 3669 times)

Veylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: "Keydanced" - An Analysis
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2012, 01:26:37 am »

With an eye to your defense, I'm noticing that you have no doors between your main area and the cage traps. If you have a hidden siege attack, the cage traps would catch up to four of them, but the rest would be free to savage your dwarves and you'd have no way to seal them off.

Also, the ramps next to your bridge lead into your fort instead of out. If you pull the bridge out from under an enemy and they fall in, they can immediately get up next to the closed bridge. A building destroyer could then attack the doors diagonally as well as the bridge. Ideally, there should be nowhere for an invader to stand on your side of the moat.

Otherwise, I've only got nitpicks. You've got ore in your masons' stone stockpile. That doesn't need to be there. There's a lever in an office; it should really be in the statue room so that there's always an idle dwarf nearby to pull it. The refuse heap is outside your defences; you are likely to lose a dwarf that way and you'll be completely cut off from it during sieges. Build a wall around an empty plot of land and connect it via tunnel to your fort to avoid that. I'm guessing there's a good spot directly above the dining room or farm.

On the plus side, things are reasonably compact, organized, and defensible. The dwarves have everything they need, even a gym!
At what point did the suggestion of child sacrifice become the more ethical option?

Necromunger

• Bay Watcher
  • Last Survivor of Bodicebent.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2012, 01:27:14 am »

My plan to avoid falling off that bridge is a military compound on the exterior of the fortress. And that bridge will be a fall-back location.
for (Dwarf * newDwarf in dwarfArray){
      [newDwarf cancelJob];
      [newDwarf Drink];
}

Necromunger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2012, 01:29:41 am »

@Veylon :P thanks i forgot about diagonal movement in that case i will have to fix that up.
      [newDwarf cancelJob];
      [newDwarf Drink];
}

Necromunger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2012, 01:33:11 am »

There are still a few things i'm waiting for someone to spot.
      [newDwarf cancelJob];
      [newDwarf Drink];
}

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2012, 01:51:27 am »

Your outside animal pasture is rather tiny - you'll start getting fights. And the fact that it's outside could be a problem.

That mace-goblin outside your statue garden might be an issue too :P
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2012, 01:56:35 am »

There are still a few things i'm waiting for someone to spot.

2 chairs to each table?
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

NonconsensualSurgery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2012, 01:59:56 am »

It's a very compact and shallow fort. You're leaving space for a large megaproject?

You have dry screw pumps to train the military, but you have a bridge trap that will make ogres dodge to the side and then break the doors from the diagonal. You either like using the military or have no fear of being attacked by a large goblin siege. I'd have to compulsively line it with walls to prevent dodging onto the grass even if I wasn't expecting an attack.

The random livestock could be used as a crude kobold alarm if they were clustered directly in front of the entrance instead of off to the side, if applicable.

The lever in the room would be more effective if it were in the statue garden. Statue gardens make excellent lever rooms until you can upgrade to vampire logic.

Your trade depot is not accessible by wagon! You're missing out if this is the latest version. A three-wide hallway is a must now.

Having two chairs per table results in unhappy thoughts. Two tables end to end and two chairs has the same aesthetic effect.

Never had a bat massacre people with an axe before.
EDIT2: Oh god, the bat has got a title now.

dragginmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2012, 02:24:21 am »

No analysis just two questions:

1) where do i need to go to get the little dwarf mans instead of the happy faces.

2) how'd u make the map blocks squares instead of rectangles?

Necromunger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2012, 02:27:14 am »

When i get a new version of DF I:

Set graphics mode to YES

Set windowed to NO

thats it, the game figures out my resolution.

Then i make some in game key changes like Alt+Up for - and things like that.
      [newDwarf cancelJob];
      [newDwarf Drink];
}

dragginmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2012, 03:17:42 am »

When i get a new version of DF I:

Set graphics mode to YES

Set windowed to NO

thats it, the game figures out my resolution.

Then i make some in game key changes like Alt+Up for - and things like that.

And thats it? No packs to install?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2012, 03:23:29 am »

I see your doorways are 1-wide, as are your bedrooms. I stopped using 1-wide doorways and corridors after learning how that negatively influences FPS through pathing issues
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Necromunger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2012, 05:07:13 am »

My computer is an 8 core with a AMD 6950 graphics card. I dont reach much FPS Problems
      [newDwarf cancelJob];
      [newDwarf Drink];
}

Necromunger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2012, 05:09:52 am »

Isn't the pathing an A* Algorithm? single doors shouldn't effect this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A*_search_algorithm
      [newDwarf cancelJob];
      [newDwarf Drink];
}

Stefrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2012, 08:36:31 am »

Isn't the pathing an A* Algorithm? single doors shouldn't effect this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A*_search_algorithm

A single tile path does effect it, because it needs to calculate more 'side-steps' whenever 2 players get to the same tile.
Having an empty tile right next to the double-occupied tile should make the path calculation a lot simplier.. (instead of pathing several tiles, it will commonly just read 1 tile).
Say 2 dwarves want to enter the same door at the same time, it will have to path somewhere different for 1 dwarf, only to figure out it can't actually path thru somewhere else. This calculation probably takes a lot longer than just '1 step to the side'.
I'm not too high on A* Algorithms, but I did make a simple AI pathing procedure once. (pathing around walls and such)

Also I believed that multiple cores will not help that much with Dwarf Fortress, or has there been some multiple thread feature introduced? ( I keep Dwarf fortress on 'realtime' as I figured it'll only use 1 core to the max )

I've been designing my fortress on this theory, eventho I have no clue how much ( if any) difference it makes.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2012, 02:37:37 pm »

Farms finished.

You appear to have Dwarfs growing in your farm.
Pages: 1 [2] 3