Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: "Keydanced" - An Analysis  (Read 3666 times)

Necromunger

• Bay Watcher
  • Last Survivor of Bodicebent.
    • View Profile
"Keydanced" - An Analysis
« on: March 01, 2012, 12:46:52 am »

Hello guys iv been playing for about 2 years now and im going to be putting up the history of the fort Keydanced in this thread and i would appreciate an analysis and comments on the fort.

This fort is currently still running and will be giving image/text updates in this post as it go.

Speculate on my play style and plans for the fortress.

Tell me what i don't all ready know about my play style if you can.

Embark Year 100.

12'th of Galena, Year 102. Late Summer.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

for (Dwarf * newDwarf in dwarfArray){
      [newDwarf cancelJob];
      [newDwarf Drink];
}

saltmummy626

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Lich of Gulgatha
    • View Profile
Re: "Keydanced" - An Analysis
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 12:55:38 am »

decent layout, I would have made the main hall a little wider, but that's just me, I hate having my dwarves get jammed together in hallways.
All is silence. The road is straight, without turning, in darkness. Now let there be an end to all things.

Necromunger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 12:56:21 am »

I agree with you. But i did this for social purposes.
      [newDwarf cancelJob];
      [newDwarf Drink];
}

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 01:01:59 am »

I have some pet peeves here. Like the beds being behind the cabinets. I imagine the dwarves having to climb over the damn things to get to bed but that's just me. I like to give them 2x2 rooms. Larger for families.

I am also annoyed by the different color scheme of some rooms. Red on white? ACK my eyes! I would rebuild it completely! ... but none of this affects gameplay.

HOWEVER ... in a recent fort I saw the mountains coming and I gasped with joy as they brought with them wagons! Wagons have been broken forever so I was excited... but seeing how the wagons are 3 tiles wide they will have no way of reaching your trade depot.
 also I am curious if your dwarves ever get the "complained about crowded tables lately" thought?
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 01:03:16 am »

Don't have room to get merchant wagons-- is that as intended?
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

Necromunger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2012, 01:05:09 am »

Yeah i know about the wagons iv had them a few times but im not really interested in their exports. So if they are just on horseback or whatever i thought ill accept it.

And also just so you know those top rooms are smoothed floor between to rock veins. Which is what caused the white on red.
      [newDwarf cancelJob];
      [newDwarf Drink];
}

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2012, 01:11:42 am »

You care about your dwarves. You give them all bedrooms instead of a mass dorm. Not a whole lot, because them's some tiny little rooms, but yes.

You don't care about efficiency, looking at the layout, total amount of workshops, and the high number of idlers.

Uhm. You're digging a farm?

Necromunger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2012, 01:13:07 am »

Farms finished.
      [newDwarf cancelJob];
      [newDwarf Drink];
}

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2012, 01:14:06 am »

And also just so you know those top rooms are smoothed floor between to rock veins. Which is what caused the white on red.

I know. :) I just personally prefer to build new walls in those places so it has a uniform layout. heh ... sounds pedantic maybe.
I have an art blog now.

neotemplar

• Bay Watcher
  • The [Weapon] has lodged firmly in the wound!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2012, 01:15:13 am »

Engrave the dining hall.  Always do this, it is the spiral stopper.  Also increase ding room size, they love them.

Nice organization.  Personally I just throw things in ass I need them without any semblance of real planning.  Not that this has cause me problems, I never get a spiral.
If not under Neotemplar look for Vellum.

<22:07:06> "Terry": If a kid is old enough to play D&D
<22:07:20> "Terry": A kid is old enough to experience a dolphin being strangled

schismatise

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2012, 01:15:28 am »

I enjoy these types of threads, as well as analysing and critiquing things.

I notice you're working with the top layer as the main part of your fort. Implies you may have not yet dug very deep in your playing so far, and possibly that your forts so far have not been large enough for more efficient use of space and pathfinding design methods to be relevant.

I like your bedrooms, simple but effective. I see that you dug out the dirt walls of some bedrooms and replaced them with stone walls, and that you have also smoothed/floored the area around the bedrooms, but not anywhere else in the fort. And also that you've happily used a large chunk of what i assume is iron ore deposit as part of the housing area walls, as opposed to digging out every piece of ore. Implies an interesting mix of efficiency and attention to detail without the often associated obsessive compulsive perfectionism.

Lack of obsessive iron ore usage also implies a lack of military strength, confirmed by the doors and bridge at your entrance, and no apparent adjacent military training area.

I'm curious as to what that room on the far left is for. Are those screw pumps?

That's all i can think of. Enjoy! :P
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 01:16:59 am by schismatise »

Necromunger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2012, 01:16:42 am »

@Aspgren haha i think my OCD level is between you and some low level because if you look below the stone walls run into that dirt, some of those walls used to be dirt.

So i couldn't put up with dirt but i could JUST put up with the colours.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 01:21:26 am by Necromunger »
      [newDwarf cancelJob];
      [newDwarf Drink];
}

Necromunger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2012, 01:19:29 am »

Those screw pumps are for growing the muscles on the Miners and Wood Cutters.

Its funny i used to be strict vertical fortress and mass production, large areas but i have changed to this.

I have started on metal works a floor below.
      [newDwarf cancelJob];
      [newDwarf Drink];
}

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2012, 01:21:08 am »

I have an art blog now.

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2012, 01:24:47 am »

I think-- that when you penetrate the caverns, you'll have a few trees growing, blocking your corridors.  I'd get the loam refloored.

I'm also a little concerned about how you plan on dealing with sieges.  You can't sit back and shoot from anywhere-- are you planning on sending in melee?  Your melee will be hurt more than helped by the narrow bridge-- they'll probably be dodging a lot more frequently than the goblins.

BTW, it's a pleasure to see somebody with minimal graphics add-ons-- I usually have a devil of a time figuring out screenshots.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.
Pages: [1] 2 3