Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: tower caps clogging an aqueduct?  (Read 1027 times)

Captain Xenon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
tower caps clogging an aqueduct?
« on: May 17, 2008, 02:18:00 am »

my waterfall just cut off... i go hunt down why, and i find a tower-cap mushroom has grown in the intake hallway. its not too hard to get in there thankfully, but its got me thinking of every other place the bloody things can clog, like the drain into the chasm... where 15 more are growing! and i dont have an acess to that at the moment. the drain water gets to 7 deep in the one passageway.

is there a good way to prevent muddy stone tunnels full of water from getting clogged with mushrooms? or do i just need to leave myself an access point to send in a woodcutter? i suppose i could channel the drain to be two-high so it will flow over the bloody things.

awdball

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: tower caps clogging an aqueduct?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2008, 02:57:00 am »

Two high will work.
Trees don't grow on ramps or on constructed floors either though.
If you can turn off the water and re-floor the whole path then you'll be fine.
It's a lot of work but it's the best way I've found so far.

I seem to rememebr hearing that bridges would work as well as floors. If that's true then it would likely take less time and definitely fewer keystrokes and stone.

AWDBall

brainfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: tower caps clogging an aqueduct?
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2008, 11:26:00 am »

I assume building a paved r
  • ad would also prevent them from growing, since it prevents surface trees from growing.
You can allow or stop your dwarves from eating these mushrooms, but it's entirely optional and doesn't turn Dwarf Fortress into Dwarf hookah-smoking pad.