Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Vampire nickname fixed. Now what?  (Read 20418 times)

plynxis

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh god I'm so tired, leave me alone...
    • View Profile
Re: Vampire nickname fixed. Now what?
« Reply #60 on: March 03, 2012, 03:27:07 am »

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103389.0 <- check this thread out

its interesting how a glitch can be exploited to find vampires and when its fixed, the solutions become more practical and easier to use :P

i vote for rtg593's solution personally - besides, any fort could use a migrant filter once the waves become huge.
What? Go away, I'm sleep deprived...

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 03, 2012, 03:37:15 am »

Apperently Toady thought that the vampire nickname trick was a bug, and fix this in 0.34.04
Now what will we do to find out vampires?

He tought it was a bug because it was a bug.
At least he didnt leave something in for 10 updates and then finally remove it, making a huge dissapointed reaction from the community *coughminecraftboosterscough*

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Urist McBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 03, 2012, 04:54:09 am »

I've been keeping an eye on all migrants, checking z menu stuff, and I've found most of my dwarfs are atheists. The ones that aren't worship mostly benign gods that haven't done anything except receive worship, when I noticed in my first big wave I got 20 migrants, most of them extended family from my first migrants and again, mostly atheist, except one family.
The husband worships a gambling god that has received worship from humans, goblins and dwarves, and has cursed a couple of dwarves with vampirism. At first I was somewhat disappointed/relieved thinking I would only be dealing with goblins and zombies, but now I am excited and paranoid.
One of my migrants had 1 kill. A dwarf. Could have been self-defense, right?
A few had a couple hundred kills, mostly wildlife, with maybe 1 or 2 goblins. Must be successful hunters.
But there are 2 dwarfs that have me really worried. A couple of old-timers, 100+, with great social skills, no kills, and no relationships. No family, no gods, nothing. Is that normal?
I love this new dynamic. Bracing for !FUN!
This is a known source of vexation.

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 03, 2012, 06:28:25 am »

I think the solution here is a new megaproject: the ONE STATE. A fortress designed with the sole purpose of maximum visibility. Have the dwarves live in towers with the walls made entirely of glass windows and fortifications, and figure out some way of making the floors see-through as well (Can dwarves see through grates?) Then have the barracks in the very centre where they can see everything. NO CRIME SHALL GO UNSEEN!

Then hilarity ensues when one giant bat shuts down all labour in the fortress....
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #64 on: March 03, 2012, 08:07:59 am »

Don't atom-smash, then they become eternal blood-sucking ghosts.

Oh, right.  I forgot about that.  Well, I built an out-of-fortress kennel with a floodgate door operated from within the fortress.  Now all I have to do is process each wave and re-dig what was dug before.  Sadly, I did not get my Clerk again in the next wave.  I got a Bone Doctor, though, which is nice.  I can live a while longer without knowing exactly how many limestone stones I own.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

omniclasm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 03, 2012, 08:23:23 am »

I've just been looking at their history.

50 years old and have been in 30 different groups? Probably a vampire.

Actually haven't missed one using this method. Check every new migrant as they enter the screen.

Tahlin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 03, 2012, 10:29:04 am »

Actually. Who needs to find vampires? I get way too many migrants to care about losing one per month to a killing machine.

Terratoch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 03, 2012, 10:56:20 am »

I started this thread about finding vampires, but it kind of went loly as is standard operating procedure.
The only thing better than dining on a fine goblin is using said goblins tallow for soap to fix up my soldiers.

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 03, 2012, 12:02:33 pm »

Actually. Who needs to find vampires? I get way too many migrants to care about losing one per month to a killing machine.

"Urist McLegendaryWeaponsmith is missing!"

That's why.
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #69 on: March 03, 2012, 12:07:08 pm »

"Urist McLegendaryWeaponsmith is missing!"

That's why.

"Everyone has been found drained of blood."

That's why.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #70 on: March 03, 2012, 01:27:09 pm »

Okay, so now how did my vampire get elected Mayor?  ???  He was locked up from the moment he arrived.  He had no time to become popular with anyone.  He has a passing acquaintanceship with three Dwarves.

I hope the Liasion understands why he is having his meeting outside the walls, locked out of the fortress.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #71 on: March 03, 2012, 01:40:04 pm »

Okay, so now how did my vampire get elected Mayor?

Conversation skills, electoral positions are based on those not friends :P

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #72 on: March 03, 2012, 05:35:33 pm »

He was good at dressing wounds too, but I wasn't going to put him to work in the hospital.   :D

Anyway, he died fighting a small goblin ambush that cost me four migrants.  He might have managed to kill one goblin before he died.  I killed one goblin with the drawbridge, by accident.  The vampire's memorial slab says "Slayer of Dwarves", and "Loving mother and wife".  Oops.  He was a she.  Well, SHE is dead.  Ding-dong, the wicked vampire is dead ...

Added 3 days later, in retrospect:

Okay, so now how did my vampire get elected Mayor?

Conversation skills, electoral positions are based on those not friends :P

It happened again, and this time the vampire was sealed behind a wall as soon as he arrived.  Why would anyone vote for someone entombed behind a wall?  Must mean the candidates they can see and hear are really awful, much like real life.   :D
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 10:27:26 am by slink »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]