Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Vampire nickname fixed. Now what?  (Read 20430 times)

white_darkness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Vampire nickname fixed. Now what?
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2012, 12:36:47 am »

Myself, I'm hoping Toady will give us the option to form an elite cadre of dwarven vampire hunters.  I plan to call mine Section XIII.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2012, 12:39:17 am »

Well you could ... um ...

Hand out informational pamphlets on which dwarves it is ok / not ok to eat. Give these to all migrants.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

white_darkness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2012, 12:43:10 am »

Urist McVampireHunter cancels make rock blocks, senses one of the d*mned undead, needing the eternal iron stake.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2012, 12:55:58 am »

The solution, of course, is to mod in garlic and its associated syndrome.

That way barrels of garlic juice can be systematically dropped into the !!space heater!!, produce a choking cloud that only mildly irritates normal dwarves, but causes horrible melting death to vampires.

This could be placed in an airlock for migrant processing.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2012, 01:08:15 am »

Vampire-blight: When you need your vampires to die a terrible screaming, slow and melty death. That you can't hear

MoonSheep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2012, 01:50:56 am »

I had a vampire in a barrow, behind a forbidden door and he still managed to chow down on my legendary chef... the guy who reported him. Sort of a revenge thing?

Anyway, either the maceman (only witness) is a vampire (83 years old but no jewelery and only a citizen of my fort) or this known vampire left his burrow, through a forbidden door and sucked the life out of someone. An update just happened, maybe they don't honor burrows?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2012, 02:16:21 am »

My vampymaid seems to obey her burrow restriction long enough to wall her in permanently.

I intend to perform a "care and feeding" experiment real soon, where I will test a "blood mist diffuser" on her.  She is currently "very thirsty" for "alcohol", so it should be easy to see if the devi works or not.

I am still contemplating how to safely fill a single tile of her quarters with barrel exploding magma. Conveniently, her holding cell is located in very close proximity to the cone of the volcano, but I need to do this the right way to keep from flooding her containment cell.

The idea comes from the observation that vampires caught in bloody rain do not need to feed.
This experiment tries to replicate the effect by misting the blood instead of raining it.

Rask

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2012, 04:33:13 am »

All he really had going for him was being a Great Tracker.  Now he's attempting to cook the books, after spending a good year as my underwater excavation unit.

Underwater. Excavation. Unit.

Did you just invent a new way to breach aquifers?

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2012, 05:08:48 am »

All he really had going for him was being a Great Tracker.  Now he's attempting to cook the books, after spending a good year as my underwater excavation unit.
Underwater. Excavation. Unit.
Did you just invent a new way to breach aquifers?
Hell, yeah! There's science to be done!

As for the detection, nickname bug was never necessary part of the detection, just examining migrant's skills in therapist is enough to find them. But trial by zombie or water is good idea anyway.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

daneel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2012, 05:58:28 am »

Just got a very obvious vampire in 34.04, lots of various skills and a very long shady history. One feature that still exists is if you give him a nickname, that nickname will show up in the bio for the god who cursed him.

Often this is one of the deities the vampire himself worships.

lemmily

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • BatFinchBears
« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2012, 08:41:28 am »

Just got a very obvious vampire in 34.04, lots of various skills and a very long shady history. One feature that still exists is if you give him a nickname, that nickname will show up in the bio for the god who cursed him.

Often this is one of the deities the vampire himself worships.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I really enjoy the fact you also nickname your suspected vampires "vampy" .....

/oh so useful contribution

Also, I think it's just going to have to be super sleuthing skills, combined with the usual near death traps. When I find vampires, I burrow them to a room next my entrance, so when the gobbos/trolls come they have to fight them and usually die due to being horrendously overwhelmed and under-equipped..... whoops. It's amazing how quickly they gain the fighter skill.
I make furry things - BatFinch Bears

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2012, 09:19:11 am »

If your suspected vampire is a noble, check what mandates he issues.  If they do not match his perferences, then it's probably a vampire.  For example you have a sock export ban, but your mayor doesn't have a prefernce for socks, then it's probably a vampire.  If you have an iron product mandate and the noble likes iron then it may not be a vampire.

Also check apperance descriptions.  Gray haired 45 year old dwarves are likely a vampire.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

Jerg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 01, 2012, 11:13:00 am »

I actually found my third vampire just by going through all the dwarves' traits and thoughts, after someone died from blood draining. I condemned him and my unarmed (my fortress is still new) captain of the guards walks up to the vampire and threw a single punch, jammed the vampire's skull in and killed him instantly.

The previous two vampires took days of beating by the captain with insta-healing. So this was surprising.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 01, 2012, 12:14:07 pm »

Also check apperance descriptions.  Gray haired 45 year old dwarves are likely a vampire.

They don't age so why would they have gray hair?

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 01, 2012, 01:11:02 pm »

I just place all new immigrants in a room behind my trade depot. When they start getting thirsty, I start releasing them. Never had a burrow ignoring problem except, of course, if the dwarf has already started a hauling job. Then they stop dead in their tracks complaining about the hauling location being forbidden/inaccessible. Pretty sure that is supposed to be a bug; it sure bugs me:p
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5