Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Vampire nickname fixed. Now what?  (Read 20433 times)

Koremu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Vampire nickname fixed. Now what?
« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2012, 10:13:45 pm »

oooh! ooh! I've got the solution.  Build a T intersection with some zombies at the top of the T behind fortifications (or stone windows ;) ).  Have all migrants file in single file from left to right, so the zombies are on their left.  When they get to the intersection, the vampires will continue on to the right exit, while non vampires, being scared to death of zombies, should run away from the windows (down the stem of the T) where they can be corraled, calmed, and integrated into your non-blood-sucking population.  The vampires can, of course, then be integrated into your rapid-reaction-militia/execution squads.

The only flaw I can think of, is if the heartbeat equipped dwarves run back the way they came instead of turning right to run away from the Zs.  :-\

Pressure plate induced one way doors? Or some method of revealing the zombies at a critical point.
It's a dwarf.  Their natural habitat is "trapped on the wrong side of a wall".

Flinging children halfway across the map to land in magma is good, wholesome fun, but extramarital reproduction?  Why, that's just unseemly!

arzzult

• Bay Watcher
  • This statement is false.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2012, 10:15:11 pm »

oooh! ooh! I've got the solution.  Build a T intersection with some zombies at the top of the T behind fortifications (or stone windows ;) ).  Have all migrants file in single file from left to right, so the zombies are on their left.  When they get to the intersection, the vampires will continue on to the right exit, while non vampires, being scared to death of zombies, should run away from the windows (down the stem of the T) where they can be corraled, calmed, and integrated into your non-blood-sucking population.  The vampires can, of course, then be integrated into your rapid-reaction-militia/execution squads.

The only flaw I can think of, is if the heartbeat equipped dwarves run back the way they came instead of turning right to run away from the Zs.  :-\

I can think of another. You might get necromancer dwarves also going into the vamp section and getting drained. Since I believe necros don't have a problem with zombies.
I just realized two things. 1. For the Win and F___ the World have the same initials. 2. They have the same meaning in Dwarf Fortress.

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 29, 2012, 10:38:23 pm »

Individual quarantine rooms will be how i handle it I think.
Magma is overrated.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 29, 2012, 10:40:47 pm »

A burrow submerged in water.

Normal dwarves just won't go in.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 29, 2012, 10:43:09 pm »

I can think of another. You might get necromancer dwarves also going into the vamp section and getting drained. Since I believe necros don't have a problem with zombies.
Wait ... this is a problem? :D

Just think, you have a chance for your necro to become a vampire ...
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 29, 2012, 10:48:29 pm »

If the description for their recent food and drink is fat, you've got a dwarf, Jack.  If the description isn't there, you've got a vampire, square.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

Eddren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 29, 2012, 10:49:56 pm »

Wait ... this is a problem? :D

Just think, you have a chance for your necro to become a vampire ...
Make your Necro-Vampire a bonecarver.
Ah, my dwarven heart beats with fierce pride for this.  I can't take it anymore!  I have to go do something profound.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 29, 2012, 10:54:47 pm »

He'll take forever unless you feed him delicious dwarven children, hansel and grettel style.

Eddren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 29, 2012, 10:59:22 pm »

But just imagine what might happen; you'll get master-craft bone arrows, and bones that don't even need shooting to kill the enemies! It'll be like he's an artifact carver ALL THE TIME!!
Ah, my dwarven heart beats with fierce pride for this.  I can't take it anymore!  I have to go do something profound.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 29, 2012, 11:02:48 pm »

Make a large meeting area, large enough for all your dwarves to occupy different tiles, and make this meeting area a retracting bridge over a one-level drop. Normal dwarves will get stunned, vampire dwarves won't. Pause just after the drop and peruse them at your leisure. Oh, and make sure the dwarf pulling the lever isn't a vampire.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 29, 2012, 11:09:11 pm »

Flood fort with magma. Garunteed to kill any vampires hiding amongst you.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Interloper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 29, 2012, 11:10:05 pm »

So I've only had two vampires, and both of them had high levels in all the social skills. I don't know if it was a fluke or not, but I figure that because they've lived for so long, they have more practice in socializing. So I've had luck in screening vamps based on looking for Masterful Persuaders and Liars and such.

A sidenote: Because my vamps are more social, they're hilariously much more likely to be elected mayor.
http://www.smbc-comics.com/index.php?db=comics&id=431#comic

Also, I noticed that the vamp thoughts say something like "She needs alcohol to get through the day, and it is becoming scarce." There is plenty of booze in the fortress, and the *non* vamps don't have that status. I think this dwarf is thirsty for something else . . .

white_darkness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 29, 2012, 11:26:45 pm »

Don't forget, no one really has any food/booze thoughts, urges at first.

Secondly, I'm "blessed" to get low skilled vampires.  Whereas, that high master blacksmith, is really a high master blacksmith.

My current vampire is flimsy, poor empathy, difficulty with words, meager ability with social relationships, iffy sense for music, poor creativity and really poor focus.

All he really had going for him was being a Great Tracker.  Now he's attempting to cook the books, after spending a good year as my underwater excavation unit.

However there is the trusty..."He needs alcohol to get through the working day, and has gone without a drink for far, far too long."

So spotting him now would be my therapist cross reference check, or the almost drowning chamber may be a solution.

czolus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2012, 12:20:22 am »

Execute anything that sparkles in the sun.

More seriously, do they develop cave adaptation?
Sic sum in ignis; sic sum quiritatio

Jingles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2012, 12:28:27 am »

Why cant you just hammer all your citizens to death until you find the right one?  The one that didn't die or get seriously injured.  Then wall the vampire into your mega project.

Ok,  I'll be honest, sending the Hammerer out on witch hunts just makes me happy.  So does the Hammerer performing her duties.  There's no dwarf that doesn't deserve what she's got to give.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5