Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Vampire nickname fixed. Now what?  (Read 20414 times)

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
Re: Vampire nickname fixed. Now what?
« Reply #45 on: March 01, 2012, 01:26:46 pm »

Also check apperance descriptions.  Gray haired 45 year old dwarves are likely a vampire.

They don't age so why would they have gray hair?

That one probably was already quite old when he became a vampire, I guess.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Kibstable

• Bay Watcher
  • We didn't start the fire...
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 01, 2012, 02:05:17 pm »

Maybe drop socks in the water from a bridge above, then see who goes to get them...

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 01, 2012, 02:07:09 pm »

I intend to perform a "care and feeding" experiment real soon, where I will test a "blood mist diffuser" on her.  She is currently "very thirsty" for "alcohol", so it should be easy to see if the devi works or not.
No, she's very thirsty for booze because vampires still have the alcohol dependency that comes from being a dwarf. Because vampires need neither alcohol nor water, they don't drink it, and thus they become sober.

Make a booze mist diffuser instead. If blood rain is sufficient to satisfy a vampire's unnatural craving for blood, perhaps a booze rain will satisfy her natural craving for booze.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #48 on: March 01, 2012, 02:08:17 pm »

Seriously? No-one else thinks it's a good idea to murder all your dwarves in an attempt to find that one vampire. We've lost Magma. We've lost Dwarfiness. What's left in the world to guide and protect...Eh...Yeah...Protect our dwarves?! Where is our honor?!

If you kill all the Dwarfs, vampires win.

blue sam3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 01, 2012, 02:15:41 pm »

The solution, of course, is to mod in garlic and its associated syndrome.

That way barrels of garlic juice can be systematically dropped into the !!space heater!!, produce a choking cloud that only mildly irritates normal dwarves, but causes horrible melting death to vampires.

This could be placed in an airlock for migrant processing.

Hmm... that's actually doable now. Can just make vampire curses add a new creature class and have garlic trigger a syndrome in those with said creature class. The same thing could be done with warebeasts/silver, and all manner of other things.

white_darkness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 02, 2012, 03:32:36 am »

All he really had going for him was being a Great Tracker.  Now he's attempting to cook the books, after spending a good year as my underwater excavation unit.
Underwater. Excavation. Unit.
Did you just invent a new way to breach aquifers?
Hell, yeah! There's science to be done!

As for the detection, nickname bug was never necessary part of the detection, just examining migrant's skills in therapist is enough to find them. But trial by zombie or water is good idea anyway.

He worked hard expanding my aquifer supplied well system.  Added well #2 for the hospital with #1 functioning as the meeting area.  Really he only punched the last bit and the 2-zlevels of Well 1 mostly filled 1 zlevel of well 2.  However, he sat there for about a year, eventually becoming a great swimmer.  Which was annoying since he needed to punch the drainage corridor on z-level 2, so well #2 could fill completely.

So I opened up z-level 2 of well #2's wall and mined out a down staircase in the hopes, he might swim over.  By this point he was Great Swimmer or some such.

Nothing

Tried disabling labors, giving him an office and making him the bookkeeper and manager.

Nothing.

Got annoyed, and drained my well cisterns with DFhack, and opened up the constructed wall of well#2 on it's bottom zlevel.

Idiot sat there.

When the water started flowing back in, it pushed him away from where he'd been standing/swimming all this time, he'd try to return to the spot, eventually the water pushed him 2/3 of the way to well #2 cistern, and he just decided to run out and go cook the books.

I am wondering now, if I could release this desperately thirsty little sucker and have him dig into well#2 with some staircases, and excavate well #3 just to see if he will dig in and keep going.  I'll cram everyone into the dining hall and release him at some point.

Actual direct breaching of an aquifer, I could use him for that easily.  However, I wouldn't want to use a vamp to try to punch straight through an aquifer to get to real rock.  I haven't seen one vampire until after the first two hard-coded waves arrive.  I'd hate waiting on the surface all that time, to hopefully get lucky.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 03:40:45 am by white_darkness »

Tiggy

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 02, 2012, 06:35:02 am »

Could you make all the doors to your bed rooms be made of glass so dwarfs could see if he's sucking

gzoker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 02, 2012, 07:34:41 am »

In my current fort i have a strange dwarf.
Odd thing 1: He arrived with a name that didn't showed up in therapist.
Odd thing 2: His profession was butcher, but he had no skills in butchery.
Odd thing 3: He have only seven relatives.
Odd thing 4: His first finger left hand is gone.
Odd thing 5: He has one notable kill, and Six hundred ninety other kills - all goblins (and five trolls).

After they arrive, i always sort out the migrants. This one caught my eye, and I suspected a vampire. A locked him with vertical silver bars into a a 4*5 room. His two pets were with him (puppy, peacock). After a season he become hungry and thirsty, and all his body parts were yellow on the health screen (we are not in an evil area, so no evil rain). I found this strange, so I let him out. I drafted and stationed him outside, far away from my entrance. He stayed there for a few years, always hungry and thirsty. I saw him going for the food stockpiles a few times, but he didn't eat or drink. He just rushed there, and rushed back to his post. He doesn't have a waterskin or backpack. His name changed too. He was Tholtig when he arrived, then he vanished from therapist when a group of migrants came. Now he is called Meng.

Nobody have been killed by bloodsucking. I think i somehow broke something in him. Or his vampirism has gone by itself . Is that even possible?

Or he is just a strange war hero, living in seclusion on the top of the mountain.
Active Interactions: RAIDER_MADNESS

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #53 on: March 02, 2012, 11:15:56 am »

He certainly sounds like a vampire.  I had the same weird name-list behaviors going on in 34.02 when it turned out I had two vampires who immigrated.  Those behaviors stopped when I killed off the vampires.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Chthonic

• Bay Watcher
  • Whispers subterrene.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 02, 2012, 11:38:36 am »

There are other things than vampires that migrate incognito.  I haven't figured what they are, though (although I've heard that necromancers will occasionally come to your fortress as well).

One thing you can do to check your migrants is to offend them badly.  Give them a bunch of terrible thoughts, draft them, assault them with vermin, kill their pets, and otherwise abuse them.  Vampires will always be quite content, while actual dwarves get pissy.  I was playing with temperature off, and I had one vampire (recruit) that I pitted into a volcano.  He sat at the bottom for three years, ultimately becoming enraged at long patrol duty, but his mood never went below quite content.

Chilton

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok Cultist - Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 02, 2012, 11:49:07 am »

The Nickname thing was always Metagamey.
I believe its ultimately realistic to catch them out for the Crime, rather than cheating.
I Like To Think Of Myself As An Artist - I Create Masterpieces With My Tools Of Trade.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 02, 2012, 09:18:59 pm »

Could be a werebeast
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #57 on: March 02, 2012, 10:15:39 pm »

It turns out that putting vampires in your military and posting them permanently outside your fortress isn't a solution after all.  One of mine ran back inside for a quick bite to eat, so to speak.  He killed one of my founders, causing me to have to discard everything since the previous Spring autosave.  I won't tolerate that type of loss.  I guess it is the atom smasher for them now, or walling them into an outdoor kennel for release only during invasions.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

white_darkness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 02, 2012, 11:13:05 pm »

Don't atom-smash, then they become eternal blood-sucking ghosts.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 03, 2012, 12:31:25 am »

Secondly, I'm "blessed" to get low skilled vampires.  Whereas, that high master blacksmith, is really a high master blacksmith.

Urist HighMasterBlacksmith has been found dead, completely drained of blood.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5