Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 22

Author Topic: Isle: Liberación! Liberación! La tecnocracia ha llegado!  (Read 39952 times)

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
Re: Isle
« Reply #120 on: March 08, 2012, 01:32:40 am »

I'm a bit late, but sorry, I'll ensmallen it now.

Also, why not use both bronze and iron? Not in an alloy, just have some tools made of one and some tools made of the other, depending on what we can get.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Gotdamnmiracle

• Bay Watcher
  • Or I'll cut ya to dust.
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: March 08, 2012, 01:36:07 am »

Yeah. Depends on what we can get. We'll decide when we get there.
Go back see if he's there and run him over, and drink his gun!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 08, 2012, 12:23:27 pm »

Yeah, if we have copper, that will be better than gold/silver/stone, and if we find tin, we can melt down our copper tools and weapons. So for now, make copper farming equipment (plow caps, spades, hoes, etc.) and copper-headed spears for our warriors.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Dragor23

• Bay Watcher
  • A brazillion of football
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 08, 2012, 12:39:37 pm »

Yeah, if we have copper, that will be better than gold/silver/stone, and if we find tin, we can melt down our copper tools and weapons. So for now, make copper farming equipment (plow caps, spades, hoes, etc.) and copper-headed spears for our warriors.

Copper is somewhat smooth... Better use stone.
We have to find tin...

obolisk0430

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 08, 2012, 05:20:17 pm »

We have to find tin...

You on something?  Copper > stone.  There was an entier copper age, where the primary metal used in tools and weapons was copper.  It is better than stone.
Let this be a lesson to us all: Immortality is only temporary. That's why its called immortality.

Gotdamnmiracle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: March 08, 2012, 06:33:12 pm »

We have to find tin...

The answer here is a modest "Sort of" The copper age was never really as big a deal as the iron or bronze age because stone was still primarily used during the copper age. Flint can still cut steel. Copper was heavy, overly malleable, and plentiful. It was used because it was malleable but a stone knife or macuahuitl was worlds more useful and common than a copper sword. You could make some tools, but you would spend more time fixing the tools than doing the job.
You on something?  Copper > stone.  There was an entier copper age, where the primary metal used in tools and weapons was copper.  It is better than stone.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 07:37:22 pm by Gotdamnmiracle »

obolisk0430

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: March 08, 2012, 07:31:32 pm »

You seem to have mangled that quote, but I will do some research.
Let this be a lesson to us all: Immortality is only temporary. That's why its called immortality.

Gotdamnmiracle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: March 08, 2012, 07:37:01 pm »

Aw damnit. Lemme edit that. You get the idea though.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 09, 2012, 12:44:56 am »

Copper is easily worked, and it occasionally occurs as a pure metal, sometimes in quite large masses. However, it is so soft that it is comparatively useless for most tools and weapons in its native state. By the time we see the first copper artefacts, stone technology was so advanced that stone tools were better than copper for most applications.

Because copper is comparatively soft, it can be worked by cold hammering with stone tools. Some early copper smith must have discovered that "cold working" can more than double the hardness of copper, to the point where it equals pure iron, though then the copper is brittle and cracks very easily. However, some gentle heating will anneal the copper, which can then be cold-worked again to give a fairly heavy tool with a comparatively hard surface that can, if desired, be shaped to form a sharp edge. From the hands of skilled smiths, small copper tools may have been better than commonly supposed.

Source.

Seems reasonable enough for our purposes. And in either case, gathering copper now means that if/when we discover tin, we only need one mining operation. And going by the source, if we cold-smith it, we have iron-equivalent tools and weapons, though (even more) brittle than iron, which should do well enough for the time being.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Gotdamnmiracle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: March 09, 2012, 12:57:28 am »

Okay, so the decision is to survey for metals then. Gogogogogo!

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: March 09, 2012, 03:13:07 pm »

The big, fat party is very important.
A large party is thrown in your fathers honor. The people laugh and celebrate his life as well as his death. They seem a little happier with your rule.

Okay, so the decision is to survey for metals then. Gogogogogo!
You send out scouts into the wilderness to look for metal deposits. You don't have the skill to work them yet, but your people have enough skill with the gold and silver deposits to know what a metal looks like, and some belive that any metal may be worked with the right conditions.

They will return in a few months.

Random Event!
   A small craft of fishermen was washed away in a light storm a few days ago. While the tribe mourned them, thinking them lost, they searched for a way home. And when they finally arrived, they had quite a story to tell! It seems that across the waters to the north lies another land, where the grass grows gold and tall, and waves in the wind as if it were water itself. The dirt is dark and cool, moist but not mud, a perfect loam. It sounds as if it were a veritable garden of eden! Of course, there is but one problem; it's across the horizon, and your village is simply to large now to be transported! How will you make use of this new land?

MAJOR DISCOVERY!
AGRICULTURE!

Your wise men have been toiling away at your fathers last request for knowledge, and now come to you with the answer. They have discovered that the hard shells inside of the fruits you eat do indeed grow new plants! Unfortunately, trees take a long time to grow, more than half a lifetime, so the crop of trees is simply to much work for too little gain. But then, one wise man decided to try it with the berries. While they lacked the shells within, the berries did grow new bushes, which, if tended properly, will grow a new batch of berries by next winter! Joy of joys, chieftan, your people have food! You shall surely never go hungry again!

The waves grow choppy.
There is a strong wind from the south-east.
The farmlands are neither fertile nor barren.
Pollen drifts from the north.
The clergy are dead. MOA MOA does not respond.

The religious despise you.
Morale set to HIGH!
Food stockpile set to FRUITFUL!
Your people eat well.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Dragor23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: March 09, 2012, 03:29:18 pm »

Huzzah!
Agriculture is the new way to a bright future!
Now try to find some wild cereal and start to plant it.
Onward to bread!

Also, Moa Moa seems to not very caring about his dead clergy. Clearly a sign, that he hated them.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: March 09, 2012, 03:35:06 pm »

Huzzah!
Onward to bread!

Also, Moa Moa seems to not very caring about his dead clergy. Clearly a sign, that he hated them.
MOA MOA does not respond.  :P
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Dragor23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: March 09, 2012, 03:40:19 pm »

Huzzah!
Onward to bread!

MOA MOA does not respond.  :P

Woah, Moa Moa must be a busy god.  :P

Gotdamnmiracle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: March 09, 2012, 06:04:34 pm »

>Let's use some of our seafaring canoes to try and set up a colony on this newfound eden, or atleast just scout it out (get the specs on size, workable recources,yaddi yadda).

>Begin research into metal molding and mold crafting. (This is how you make tools and weapons FAST.)

We need to do something about the religious hating us.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 22