Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Kid Immigrants  (Read 2646 times)

celebrinborn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Kid Immigrants
« on: February 29, 2012, 05:00:35 pm »

I just started a new fortress and for my first Immigrant wave, I recieved 3 adult workers, an Armorer, a Carpenter, and a Fisherdwarf. I also received 4 children. My question is if this is normal dwarf behavior or if it is a bug. If it is a bug, I would like to ask what information do I need to gather to file a bug report. Thank you very much.

ohgoditburns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kid Immigrants
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 05:07:50 pm »

It's normal.

Hide yo wives, hid yo kids, they be snatchin everyone round here.
The landscape routinely being soaked in flammable fluids somehow seems less than benevolent.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 05:24:58 pm »

What's surprising you about child immigrants?

celebrinborn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 05:29:11 pm »

I've just never noticed it before. I've always used dwarf therapist for everything and it wasn't displaying the kids so I didn't realize that they could immigrate too.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 05:30:19 pm »

Huh, Dwarf Therapist, I've never used it before, it any good?

celebrinborn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 05:56:51 pm »

it is EXTREMELY good. I can't wait for it to get updated for the new version of DF

pushy

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 06:52:55 pm »

I've just never noticed it before. I've always used dwarf therapist for everything and it wasn't displaying the kids so I didn't realize that they could immigrate too.
Well, they always could but they didn't tend to immigrate in large numbers in older versions (you'd maybe get one to three in a migration wave of 20+ dwarves, sometimes none at all and very rarely four or more), whereas now they annoyingly can very easily make up the bulk of your immigrants. In one of my forts in 0.34.01 I had 62 dwarves total and 38 of them were kids (that's 61% of all dwarves in the fort and 69% of all immigrants). That was admittedly pretty extreme, but I'm still frequently seeing around 25% of my forts' populations being kids, with many of the adults being married and popping out babies on a regular basis as well.
Quote from: Tim Edwards, PC Gamer UK
There are three things I know about dwarves:
1. They've got beards. Even the women.
2. They're short. Especially the women.
3. They're Scottish.

ohgoditburns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2012, 07:10:55 pm »

Mandatory.
The landscape routinely being soaked in flammable fluids somehow seems less than benevolent.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2012, 08:30:40 pm »

That has been the norm for me as well.

Mandatory.
+1. Unless LW is trolling (again).  :P

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Necromunger

• Bay Watcher
  • Last Survivor of Bodicebent.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2012, 08:58:44 pm »

In 2 years of Dwarf Fortress i started therapist once and did not like it.

Never used it again.
for (Dwarf * newDwarf in dwarfArray){
      [newDwarf cancelJob];
      [newDwarf Drink];
}

DungeonJerk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2012, 09:06:01 pm »

I got 21 dwarf kids in my one Migration wave last night. Not a single vampire either.

I was not happy.

It's like I have a hidden chuck-e-cheese's in my fortress.

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2012, 12:46:29 am »

Well, they always could but they didn't tend to immigrate in large numbers in older versions (you'd maybe get one to three in a migration wave of 20+ dwarves, sometimes none at all and very rarely four or more), whereas now they annoyingly can very easily make up the bulk of your immigrants. In one of my forts in 0.34.01 I had 62 dwarves total and 38 of them were kids (that's 61% of all dwarves in the fort and 69% of all immigrants). That was admittedly pretty extreme, but I'm still frequently seeing around 25% of my forts' populations being kids[/quote]

This.  So much this.

This is my fort after just 5 immigration waves:

Just got another wave and about half are kids.  Total 96 dorfs, and out of that 32 are kids.  That's 1 out of 3.  There were occasional kids and couples previously, but since .34 I've been getting lots of families in waves.  Some of these kids are pretty old though, like 10 or older so that's not too bad, they'll grow up soon.

Speaking of which, any of you get something like this:

I've seen this before, kids that come to the fort that are 13 years old.  Bah, grow up already!

I'm thinking it might be a bug where the kid is generated in worldgen, but doesn't grow up until it reaches the fort.
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

Agent_86

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2012, 01:09:28 am »

I've seen this before, kids that come to the fort that are 13 years old.  Bah, grow up already!

I'm thinking it might be a bug where the kid is generated in worldgen, but doesn't grow up until it reaches the fort.
I believe it's a result of historical figures coming as migrants - they're listed in the historical lists as kids, but turned 12 before they come to your fort.  But because historical figures aren't tracked while your fort is running, the game didn't recognize that the "kid" had already grown up.   IIRC they'll turn into adults once the season changes.
When something isn't quite dorfy enough, just add magma.

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2012, 01:31:23 am »

it is EXTREMELY good. I can't wait for it to get updated for the new version of DF

What kind of update does it need? I know it autoupdated to be compatible with 34.03, is it not yet with 34.04?
Or is there a bugfix coming I don't know about?

But ya, I can't live without it. Nothing like knowing exactly what dwarf has what labor enables, what social skills each has, and what military skills, all with just a couple clicks.

DT needs to be integrated into DF :P
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2012, 01:32:57 am »

I believe it's a result of historical figures coming as migrants - they're listed in the historical lists as kids, but turned 12 before they come to your fort.  But because historical figures aren't tracked while your fort is running, the game didn't recognize that the "kid" had already grown up.   IIRC they'll turn into adults once the season changes.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking.
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath
Pages: [1] 2