Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Feral Merchants?  (Read 778 times)

Lalandrathon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Feral Merchants?
« on: March 19, 2008, 10:41:00 am »

So... I just downloaded this game, and have been entertained with my new fortress... nothing too exciting has happened so far, though I expect at this point too exciting would mean a fortress of dead dwarves. Anyway, when the dwarven caravan first arrived, I had a trading post downstairs in my fortress with a winding width one passage to get there. The merchants complined that there was no path to the trading post, so I built a new one outside and deleted the old one, and proceeded to try to trade, though I don't think it ended up being successful. Except, after the caravan supposedly left, I looked in the downstairs room that used to be a trading post, and there's a camel, a donkey, a macedwarf, a speardwarf, and a couple merchants milling around. And they haven't left. After 3 years. And the dwarf caravan hasn't returned. It's not like they're bothering anyone, just milling about in an out of the way room. So, what exactly should I do about it, if anything?

Trollvottel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Feral Merchants?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 11:22:00 am »

a) To access the depot with wagons, the traders need a three tile wide path from the map edge to your depot.

To check if they have access, press Shift-D and scroll around the map a lot.
To remove an obstacle: chop trees / smooth rocks (on stone ground) / build a 3 tile wide ramp if you need to change altitude (z-levels).

b) Traders standing around IMO means they want to exit the map, but can't find a path. If I remember correctly, they may go mad (berserk) if you don't create a path to the map edge.

Did you lock them in by raising a drawbridge, maybe?

c) I'm quite sure that the traders arrive from one spot on the map, but leave in a different direction. They may not be able to find a path to e.g. that elevated southeast corner without ramps, or so.

I've had merchants stick around far longer than normal, twice so far, but only the wagons. The first time it turned out that while the traders were in the dpot, a tree grew up and blocked  my main entrance. The second time was on a mountain map where whole levels were inaccessible: building lots of ramps and rock-smoothing a path through the rock boulder fields fixed it.

[ March 19, 2008: Message edited by: Trollvottel ]

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2008, 11:28:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Trollvottel:
<STRONG>c) I'm quite sure that the traders arrive from one spot on the map, but leave in a different direction.</STRONG>

They arrive from a particular spot.  They leave via the nearest exit.

brainfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2008, 12:13:00 pm »

Building a road/floors will prevent trees from growing up in your carefully-prepared pathway. Plus they look cool and will probably get your dwarves killed by ambushers.
You can allow or stop your dwarves from eating these mushrooms, but it's entirely optional and doesn't turn Dwarf Fortress into Dwarf hookah-smoking pad.

Samyotix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2008, 01:01:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by benoit.hudson:
<STRONG>

They arrive from a particular spot.  They leave via the nearest exit.</STRONG>

That would explain it - Thanks!