Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Do cave creatures respawn over time?  (Read 1160 times)

Bogdanov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Do cave creatures respawn over time?
« on: May 16, 2008, 09:22:00 pm »

I mean cave creatures as in bats, rats, troglodytes, and such... There were plenty when i arrived but they're all dead now (i used a utility to start off with a legendary marksman/ambusher/wrestler/etc...) and i'm wondering if i'll see any more of them

Even wild animals arent respawning, even though i know they normallly do, so i'm kinda worried that my game file might be corrupt in some way (maybe i altered the init file without noticing or something)

Thanks for any enlightening answer

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Do cave creatures respawn over time?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2008, 03:35:00 am »

As far as I know, cave and magma creatures do not respawn. Wildlife should, however.
Did you have wildlife in the first place? Because it is possible to embark on a map that lacks wildife.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Bogdanov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2008, 11:36:00 am »

Fire imps do respawn, actually.

And yes, i had wildlife, and plenty mole dogs and troglodytes, and my marksdwarf slaughtered all of them.

Nothing has respawned yet.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2008, 12:48:00 pm »

in the 2d version ratmen and antmen and such would sometimes ambush you from the chasm (sometimes with over 100 units at a time!). Sadly, this does not happen anymore and what you see when you start out is what you get.

I hope at some point the ambushes will be re-added, they were one of my favorite parts of the 2d version and I never nuked my chasm because it was fun to fight off the ratman hoards.

Edit: fire imps and such in volcanoes don't respawn either, once they are dead they are dead for good. Again, in the 2d version sometimes fire imps would ambush from the magma but not anymore.

[ May 17, 2008: Message edited by: BurnedToast ]

An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2008, 01:44:00 pm »

Indeed I have to second Burned Toast on the respawning fire imp issue. I've never had them respawn, not even in 25-year fortresses. Dead is dead, as far as native buggers are concerned.
Please, if we are wrong, Bogdanov, do tell and show us a save.

[ May 17, 2008: Message edited by: martinuzz ]

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Thasero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2008, 03:45:00 pm »

Cave and magma critters don't respawn, nor do they breed, so what you have at the beginning is what you get.

Also, chasm residents in general have a very low life span and will die of old age quite rapidly.

Lyrax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2008, 03:48:00 pm »

This is one of those things that I'm sure will be remedied in the future.  For now, we merely mourn the loss of ambushes past.
Witty

Comedian
Dabbling Pacifier
Dabbling Judge of Intent
Skilled Forum Poster

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2008, 05:50:00 pm »

<sings>

Bogdanov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2008, 09:59:00 am »

Yo, i was spending the weekend at my gf's so i couldn't reply earlier, my apologies.

Anyway, i'm almost certain that i once had fire imps respawn. The map i started in had 4 fire imps at the start, and i killed them but not all 4 at once. If i remember correctly, they never respawned when there was still one of them alive, but when the last one got killed, i eventually had 4 new fire imps in the area.

I have no idea when this happened (i mean, what version i was playing) and i have no saved file to prove it, but i'm pretty sure it happened.