Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Urist dies of suffocation...  (Read 6956 times)

McFlow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Urist dies of suffocation...
« on: February 29, 2012, 05:44:26 am »

In my last fort I had about ten dorfs die over the course of two years due to suffocation. There were no ill-effects anywhere on the map as far as I can tell. Anyone has an idea why dorfs randomly suffocate? Are they weary of life?
I embarked on an island, saw the ocean was frozen, and decided to dig a fort in there. I forgot that it wasn't a freezing biome...

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Urist dies of suffocation...
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 05:49:53 am »

Sheesh, what do they think they are, dolphins? Committing suicide by choosing not to breathe, my goodness...

:p I've wondered that, too. To add in personal additional info, which I assume this is the same for you, it happens to me, even tho i've not breached the circus, the caverns, or had a titan wondering around. I've not embarked in any kind of evil, so it's not a mist/rain/fog/dust for me, at least. Just a random suffocation.

Wait, we have serial killers, now, don't we? Is there a dwarf smothering dwarfs in their sleep?
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 05:55:05 am »

There could be multiple reasons.

If you're on a pre 0.34 world, then most likely it belongs to:

A forgotten beast showed up and tarred the place in paralysing extract affecting the lungs, causing death.

Unlucky dwarves in combat getting two bruised lungs. Having both lungs bruised = death. One lung bruised is considered a mortal wound.

Or you may have been playing about in the raws, although only you know whether you have. :P

muxaun

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 06:20:50 am »

I had this happen in different forts several times.

All dwarves were suffocating while mining high in mountains.
No FBs, no combat reports.
Just dead bodies up there.

McFlow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 06:28:09 am »

Well, it was kind of realistic at one time, because I had a meeting hall with about 40 dwarves designed for about 10 after a giant immigration wave. Urist got crushed between his fellow dwarves. Apart from that, Reudh, I have not messed with the raws, no dwarf had bruised lungs an neither was there a forgotten beast around.

I am using the Masterwork Mod though, maybe that changes something (although I suspect not). Anyone has similar experiences?
I embarked on an island, saw the ocean was frozen, and decided to dig a fort in there. I forgot that it wasn't a freezing biome...

muxaun

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 06:34:16 am »

the only guess i have is that they died because of falling and injuring their lungs.
unfortunately, there is no way to see injures of dead dwarves.

dwarven pathoanatomist is required.)

arzzult

• Bay Watcher
  • This statement is false.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 06:39:39 am »

Hehe, yeah. Have you been mining coal? I don't use Masterwork my self but I recall some one mentioning that there are pockets of special "coal" the boil on being minded out causing a syndrome "black lung" which is quite deadly.
I just realized two things. 1. For the Win and F___ the World have the same initials. 2. They have the same meaning in Dwarf Fortress.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2012, 06:40:09 am »

^^ Yeah that. Ninja.
Masterwork adds Black Lung from mining coal IIRC, so have you been mining coal?
*Hugs*

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2012, 06:58:24 am »

Well, it was kind of realistic at one time, because I had a meeting hall with about 40 dwarves designed for about 10 after a giant immigration wave. Urist got crushed between his fellow dwarves. Apart from that, Reudh, I have not messed with the raws, no dwarf had bruised lungs an neither was there a forgotten beast around.

I am using the Masterwork Mod though, maybe that changes something (although I suspect not). Anyone has similar experiences?

Ah, then the solution is this:
Masterwork mod includes the coal dust mod, in bitominous coal there is fake coal that, when inhaled by your miners, causes lung necrosis.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

McFlow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2012, 07:20:31 am »

Thanks for your help guys! Now I know (at least suspect to know) what happened!

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2012, 08:10:12 am »

One has to admit that it would be a very dorfy way for depressed dwaerves to end their life this way :D

Urist McGyver

• Bay Watcher
  • I love Roc Birds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2012, 08:42:43 am »

*The Forgotten Beast McReallyImpressive has arrived! Beware its deadly glamour!*
*Urist McImpressed gasps*
*Urist McImpressed has been struck down*
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 09:29:42 am by Urist McGyver »
It's treated as completely normal because this is Dwarf Fortress.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with surrounding yourself with a wall of flames, only to later realize that you're surrounded by a wall of flames.
There's nothing that can't be solved by hurling fifteen roc birds at it.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2012, 08:49:58 am »

Ah, then the solution is this:
Masterwork mod includes the coal dust mod, in bitominous coal there is fake coal that, when inhaled by your miners, causes lung necrosis.

Which is about as close as we can get to conditions in real coal mines.  :-X

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Naros

• Bay Watcher
  • [COVETS_SPOONS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2012, 09:23:32 am »

One has to admit that it would be a very dorfy way for depressed dwaerves to end their life this way :D

*tantrums* Imma hold my breath FOREVER!

Koremu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2012, 09:27:37 am »

Which is about as close as we can get to conditions in real coal mines.  :-X
The syndrome is a bit too hardcore for real coal mines.
It's a dwarf.  Their natural habitat is "trapped on the wrong side of a wall".

Flinging children halfway across the map to land in magma is good, wholesome fun, but extramarital reproduction?  Why, that's just unseemly!
Pages: [1] 2