Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Please! HELP!!!  (Read 7400 times)

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Please! HELP!!!
« on: February 29, 2012, 05:11:05 am »

I'm now desperate for help.

My fortress is going along well (my first one), and i've got over 50 dwarves and all my dwarves (kind of) sorted. The one problem that i've had is getting military ready...

Now i've got a big problem... I NEED it. Goblins have decided to attack, and all I have is 4 rows of traps in my entrance (one cage and 3 stonefall).

So, i need a dummies tutorial on how to get a small military going. I have about 10 'disposable' dwarves (I only use them for hauling), which i'm willing to use as untrained (and almost unarmed) dwarves. I've already got weapons queued up in the blacksmiths (steel), which I hadn't bothered to make previously.

I also have many dwarves working outside (which I'd rather not let fight). I read somewhere about burrows, but cannot find out how to set a burrow to make them hide.

Please! A super easy, step by step walkthough to save my sorry little a**.
Bay12 Forums... Probably one of the last few sanctuaries on the internet. We're all equally insane in our own way, and it is that insanity that brings us together

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
Re: Please! HELP!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 05:32:44 am »

Remember, losing is fun. Experiment. Mash buttons at random. If one or more of the goblins die, bonus points! Learning through experience is the best sort of learning.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 05:36:25 am »

Burrows are created with (w), (a)dd a new one, then enter to define it, like designation a dig site. Then use (m)ilitary, then (a)lerts to select the burrow for a civilian alert level. Activate it, they all run in. As far as simple.... Well.... You do know what game you're playing, fight? Lol

Wiki simple military steps:
 http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Attack

Personally,I just spam cage traps in an alternate entrance, close off my main, and use mass pitting to take care of gobbies.

Good luck!
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 05:38:32 am by rtg593 »
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

McFlow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 05:38:57 am »

Dwarf Fortress Wiki has created a masterpiece!

I suggest you check out this quickstart guide for military. There are also articles on the wiki telling you about burrows.

And don't forget your emergency seal-the-fortress lever if things go awry! And locking a dwarf in there in case of danger. Yesterday I lost one of my precious and most advanced fortresses to due to Urist McIdiot not pulling the lever when he needed to, and my fortress flooding with 30 goblins and 10 trolls...

Oh, and last but not least, if an article seems unfindable on the wiki because of the new version, change the "2012" in the URL to "2010". Instant article creation!
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 06:49:15 am by McFlow »
I embarked on an island, saw the ocean was frozen, and decided to dig a fort in there. I forgot that it wasn't a freezing biome...

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 05:45:33 am »

Dwarf Fortress Wiki has created a masterpiece!

I suggest you check out this quickstart guide for military. There are also articles on the wiki telling you about burrows.

And don't forget your emergency seal-the-fortress lever if things go awry! And locking a dwarf in there in case of danger. Yesterday I lost one of my precious and most advanced fortresses to due to Urist McIdiot not pulling the lever when he needed to, and my fortress flooding with 30 goblins and 10 trolls...

Oh, and last but not least, if an article seems unfindable on the wiki because of the new version, change the "2012" in the URL to "2010". Instant article creation!

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/v0.31:Military_quickstart is the fixed link, you had too many http's :D

Also changing that to 2010 doesn't work for me. I have to change it to v0.31 for it to go back a version.
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

Calech

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 05:47:19 am »

If it's just a disposable military...

a) Give all your victims trainees a custom profession so you can find them easily. "Fodder" is a good one to use.

b) In the (m)ilitary screen, (c)reate your first squad (or, if you've got a squad, create a squad appointed by the (l)eader), assign it no uniform, then select your chosen dwarves for each position until either the squad is full or you run out of disposable dwarves. (Normally, smaller squads are better for training, but since this is just throwing dwarves at something, cramming in as many as possible works too)

c) Exit the military screen, then go to the (s)quads menu, select your new squad by letter, then either order them to (m)ove or attac(k) as required.

d) Queue up 10 coffins at the Mason's workshop, or if you have no stone, 10 caskets at the Carpenter's.

As to burrows;

a) Define a burro(w) covering the area you want your dwarves to stay inside. Call it something identifable, like "EMERGENCY" or similar.

b) In the (m)ilitary screen, go into the (a)lerts tab.

Here you can set a Civilian Alert, and define which burrows your Civilians will be restricted to once set to that alert. Normally it's enough to have one burrow covering 'safe' areas, assign that to your Active/Training alert, and then switch the Civilian alert using this screen when hostiles appear. (Be warned that although most dwarves will respect this, sometimes you'll get one or two who won't - a Conduct Meeting job for example overrides this, so make sure your mayoral offices are located somewhere suitable!)

That should sort out your excess dwarf problems, at least - if you want a more detailed overview, Girlinhat has recently done a wonderful tutorial on military usage (edit: found here), plus the wiki has various articles covering the military system.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 05:50:06 am by Calech »

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 05:50:22 am »

Remember, losing is fun. Experiment. Mash buttons at random. If one or more of the goblins die, bonus points! Learning through experience is the best sort of learning.

Yes it is :) but i would rather lose on circumstances created by the game, rather than not having a clue what to do...

So if in this, i learn how to control my military, and i still die, then I'll die happy...

I'll try navigate the wiki again :p I kept trying and trying to get a schedule to work, but the dwarves just wouldnt train, and then before coming here, i tried to change the schedule, and failed miserably...

I'll report back tomorrow on how i go :)
Bay12 Forums... Probably one of the last few sanctuaries on the internet. We're all equally insane in our own way, and it is that insanity that brings us together

hjd_uk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2012, 06:09:24 am »

Think of every lost fortress as XP gained :) as long as you learn why you had so much Fun!

Thorus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2012, 06:17:10 am »

[...]
d) Queue up 10 coffins at the Mason's workshop, or if you have no stone, 10 caskets at the Carpenter's.
[...]

This one made me giggle. :D

@Mimodo:
You could wall of your current entrance and build a second one with more [cage] traps.
Thorus likes badgers for their conga lines.

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2012, 06:27:10 am »

[...]
[...]

This one made me giggle. :D

@Mimodo:
You could wall of your current entrance and build a second one with more [cage] traps.

Actually, that is a great idea... I didn't think to make myself a fail safe, so instead, I'll tell all the dwarves to get their butt into the fortress, and block off my stairs... I'll have to try assign all the dwarves to forget about everything else though, to get it built in time. I pretty much paused the game the second I heard about the goblins, so I'm hoping this means that I have time to build 3 walls...

Im assuming that if I don't burry the dead, others get "bad thoughts" or whatever, which turns out to be bad later? If so, then probs a good idea to make me some :p but seriously... Who the hell has no stone!?

Think of every lost fortress as XP gained :) as long as you learn why you had so much Fun!

Yeah, and I've already got a drawing for my next base layout (with that fail safe included), as well as guard animals. I'm just not wanting to lose in a situation where I've got no clue of how to even go remotely close to defending myself. If I still lose after using these tips, then I'll still be happy, because I'll know how to better control things next time, and I'll have a little experience doing it too, rather than just written crap.

gzoker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2012, 07:14:23 am »

Those three stone traps are quite a nice touch.
Who the hell has no stone!?
Wait till you meet the Aquifer. (That's going to be a boss fight)

Active Interactions: RAIDER_MADNESS

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2012, 07:33:18 am »

Those three stone traps are quite a nice touch.
Who the hell has no stone!?
Wait till you meet the Aquifer. (That's going to be a boss fight)
I haven't even tackled a small murky pool! Let's not go taking on an aquifer just yet hey ;) I will get it one day though! And I'll probably be here writing another one of these posts crying for help because my fortress got flooded :p

Mazonas

• Bay Watcher
  • Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2012, 08:48:49 am »

For emergencies, if you have doors at the entrance you can lock them and at least delay the goblins getting in.  Make sure any burrow you set up for the civilian dwarves covers the food and booze stockpiles.  I usually either have a dedicated panic room with stockpiles and beds already set up, or make a quickie one over the main food stockpiles if I need to.

Station your military just inside the locked doors if you have them with (s) (a) (m), enter on where you want them to stand.  Station them OUT OF VIEW OF THE GOBLINS so that all 10 have a chance to gather there before you send them out.  If you don't the first one or two to get there will rush straight out to kill the goblins, get mobbed and die.  A full force has a better chance of success if they rush together.  Once the goblins have gone through your traps and reduced their numbers a bit, and once all/most of your military are in position (s) (a) (m) and enter where the goblins are, and unlock the doors.  Or (s) (a) (k) (r) and mark out a rectangle  over the area the goblins are in.

Good luck!
All is gems and pregnancy
All is gems and pregnancy
All is gems and pregnancy and apes!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2012, 08:52:35 am »

If it's only an ambush, those traps and a group of drafted miners (with their picks!) can probably take care of it without much difficulty. Unless there are archers. Goddamn archers.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Darchitect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2012, 10:13:13 am »

This guy's military tutorial was the one that finally helped me to understand how to successfully and (relatively) easily set up functional squads.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=88207.0

And do read girlinhat's thread, which has already been mentioned. Also check her signature links for some very useful information.
Pages: [1] 2