Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Immigration wave sizes, children, and vampires  (Read 1342 times)

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Immigration wave sizes, children, and vampires
« on: February 29, 2012, 01:44:31 am »

I have an idea for setting up a vampire quarantine inside my outer wall but outside the main fort itself.  But I need some information to set it up properly first.

What's the max size for an immigration wave now?  I know before it wasn't much more than 30, but kids now have the waves jacked up quite a bit. 

Are any of the vampires that arrive ever children, or are they all adults?  If there are no child vampires, I won't need to quarantine the children.

If I don't need to worry about quarantining kids, what the maximum number of adults that arrive in a wave?  I want to build a series of cells outside I can lock the adults into until they get hungry or thirsty or show signs of vampirism, but I need a rough idea of how many I should set up beforehand.

Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Immigration wave sizes, children, and vampires
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 01:57:31 am »

I've seen 25+ adults so far, never heard of a vampire child.

They observe burrows, so set them all in one. When some start getting thirsty, release them. That's how I do it. Last man standing takes the plunge... And spends eternity in a room with 3/7 water, or until I need a new lever puller, manager, or bookkeeper :p

Edit: make sure to have a lockable door on the room, setting a cilivian alert burrow will effectively release them if you activate it.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 01:59:06 am by rtg593 »
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 03:05:52 am »

Only problem with putting them all in one burrow is that a vamp might start feeding on the immigrants.  There's always the remote possibility some may be useful.

Fortressdeath

Castamere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 03:16:34 am »

I got 59 in my previous fort. From 15 to 64. 30 of them were children
I discovered a lot of gold and platinum and made a lot of gold nugget crafts for the first caravan which bumped my wealth high.

Let's just say that I was annoyed by so many children drinking my booze, so I burrowed them outside in a terrifying taiga where zombies/goblin ambushes/goblin zombified ambushes ripped them to shreds. Their parents weren't so happy and brought the fort down with their tantrums. In the end I had over 200 zombies on my map

It was pretty glorious
Playing DF is like getting into an elevator where you know it will freefall forty stories after it climbs about two.

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 03:55:09 am »

So that's basically 29 adults, which was close to the largest size I know about in 31.25.

Fortressdeath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 09:31:21 am »

Every vampire i ever had until now was skilled in a few social skills, a bit higher than other migrants that also had some  social skills, and a lot of them came in with the profession administrator(and a pimpin' sprite thanks to phoeus).
I dont know if thats just me getting lucky but i think you should be (quite)safe with just burrowing dwarves with social skills.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 10:03:36 am by 78325 »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 01:28:28 pm »

Vampires can show up as children, yes.

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2012, 08:22:52 pm »

Well then I'll just have to quarantine the whole damn wave then.  It's not like the kids are doing anything other than getting in my important dwarves' way ATM.  That'll change once I get the sculpture garden put in.

Fortressdeath