Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dumping that food for the lower populations.  (Read 1676 times)

Necromunger

• Bay Watcher
  • Last Survivor of Bodicebent.
    • View Profile
Dumping that food for the lower populations.
« on: February 28, 2012, 07:06:38 pm »

I at the moment want to keep all my metal craters in a nice little enclosed room.

I have been trying to get dwarfs to auto give them food in their little pile but its not working.

Do i actually have to make a dumping spot higher up the shaft and make it fall into the food pile or something?

is their some way to automate this?
for (Dwarf * newDwarf in dwarfArray){
      [newDwarf cancelJob];
      [newDwarf Drink];
}

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Dumping that food for the lower populations.
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 07:09:39 pm »

Do i actually have to make a dumping spot higher up the shaft and make it fall into the food pile or something?

is their some way to automate this?

1. Yes
2. No :(

The closest you could get is a mass dump selection of a food stockpile into a dump over a food chute to the lower level stockpile, where it is reclaimed

Necromunger

• Bay Watcher
  • Last Survivor of Bodicebent.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 07:14:41 pm »

Ok thanks.

I guess you could do this with wood to, makes a very modular fortress.
for (Dwarf * newDwarf in dwarfArray){
      [newDwarf cancelJob];
      [newDwarf Drink];
}

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 07:34:24 pm »

I'm sure it's theoretically possible to make an automated chute with a stockpile, water and pressure plates.  Dwarf deposits food on stockpile, walking away he triggers the pressure plate, that pushes out some water, water pushes the food down the chute.  People with more experience setting such things up should say more about how to make this fully automated (what I can think of has a possibility of failure but I'm probably just not being crafty enough).

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 07:50:13 pm »

Can you make a retracting bridge, and put a food stockpile on it?  If so, a water clock (or some other form of long duration repeater) can periodically dump the contents by retracting the bridge.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 07:57:05 pm »

The undump thread had something that might work, no necessary.  I believe you can put stockpiles on floor hatches, so you could just have the hauler trigger it to drop whenever they leave.  You might need some sort of one way entrance thing so they don't cancel the job when it opens in front of them, though.  Not sure if that would actually be a problem, so long as the pressure plate isn't directly adjacent to the stockpile, and there's only one stockpile tile.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 07:58:38 pm »

Also if you are having trouble having people move stuff into a second/duplicate stock pile it is favoring the oldest one and won't move anything into the second until the first is full.  A way to get around this is to make the second stockpile take from the first.  Use Q and highlight the second stockpile.

Also it would just be easier to set up a dump pit if the distance between the two is really far.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2012, 08:01:16 pm »

A stockpile can't be placed on a building.  This means no putting stockpiles on bridges or floor hatches.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2012, 08:11:30 pm »

A dump zone may be placed onto a hatch or bridge, however.  Bridges will flint items while hatches simply drops.

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2012, 08:28:49 pm »

A dump zone may be placed onto a hatch or bridge, however.  Bridges will flint items while hatches simply drops.

This is how i do it:p
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

Maopownow

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2012, 09:24:17 pm »

I made a little quarantine room for shell shocked migrants that make it past the acrid rain and zombies in my hellfort. I don't want healthy dwarves interacting with them, so i made a little tunnel with a channel at the end right above the room. Then i place a one square garbage dump zone adjacent to the hole and mark a bunch of food and drink barrels to be dumped. as long as you dont have any other garbage zones nearby to interfere, dwarves will carry the food and drink and whatever mats/junk and throw it into the channel. The stuff ends up on the floor of the quarantine room, where i un-forbid it all. the poor suckers in the quarantine room can now carry it to stockpiles in there, or just drink it off the floor when they feel the need.

There was a thread around here about making a modular fortress using the dumphole idea, but i cant remember where.

Nan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2012, 05:52:56 am »

The undump thread had something that might work, no necessary.  I believe you can put stockpiles on floor hatches, so you could just have the hauler trigger it to drop whenever they leave.  You might need some sort of one way entrance thing so they don't cancel the job when it opens in front of them, though.  Not sure if that would actually be a problem, so long as the pressure plate isn't directly adjacent to the stockpile, and there's only one stockpile tile.

It's possible though the big challenge is that, as far as I know, everything which can move an item, can also move a dwarf and items and dwarves being moved by external forces follow the same rules. This means that the item shunt/fling/drop needs to only happen when dwarves are excluded. Essentially you need a "dwarvern computer" which closes entry to the stockpile, waits for dwarves to clear from it, then flushes the items down a z-level or perhaps through fortifications.
Well actually is one difference between dwarves and items, in that dwarves can also move under their own power - provided they aren't stunned (and a dwarf who falls a z-level IS stunned!). So it would be potentially possible to make a "conveyor belt" of sorts which pushes items along horizontally while allowing dwarves to get off, the problem however is that dwarves will tend to try and grab the items which are being pushed along - if they aren't on a stockpile tile - or if they are on a stockpile tile, they'll go to that stockpile tile to put items on it.
I think it is possible using a combination of pumps, staircases, pressure plates, hatches and restricted traffic zones - to make a system that automatically filters out items from dwarves and drops the items to a lower z-level without ever restricting dwarf access. While this would be dwarvern engineering at it's finest, it would probably be less effort to just use a dump zone every so often, or just use a burrow to "mind control" dwarves into their quarantine areas.
(but of course, now that I've conceived of this contraption, I just have to try and build it...)