Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What dwarf fortress NEEDS  (Read 1249 times)

Washcloth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What dwarf fortress NEEDS
« on: February 28, 2012, 06:53:19 pm »

A assign all function for burrows.... once your pop hits 200 and your getting seiged every five minutes it gets real annoying having to manualy go through the list one by one.

NOT whineing or anything, id  GLADLY hit enter 200 times in order to play this game. just a happy WISH!
"My dwarves seem to have Terminal Party Syndrome; i can't get them to stop partying all of a sudden"- RCIX

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What dwarf fortress NEEDS
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 06:56:50 pm »

...Something tells me you don't know how to use alerts.

If you set a burrow to an alert and then set the civilian alert level to that alert, the dwarves will do everything in their power to get into that burrow and stay there. All the dwarves will do so, even the ones not assigned to that burrow. And when you switch the alert status to another alert, they'll leave the burrow if they have reason to. You don't need to assign dwarves to burrows manually to keep them safe.

Alternatively, you could make a macro to assign dwarves to a burrow en masse, but that's much less efficient than using the burrow system the way it's meant to be used.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

trees

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUNDANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 06:58:26 pm »

This is why alerts exist.

Your entire fortress is always set to exactly one civilian alert level. This restricts where civilians, any non-military dwarf in the entire fort, may go. To define the restriction area, you must first create a burrow encompassing the area you want to restrict your civilians to. Then, go to the alert screen (a in the military screen), create a new alert level (you can Name it something like 'Danger'), highlight it in the left pane, then press enter on the correct burrow in the rightmost pane.

E: NecroRebel beat me. Aw.
I am often bad at phrasing things - don't hesitate to ask for clarification if something I said doesn't make sense.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 06:58:52 pm »

...Something tells me you don't know how to use alerts.

If you set a burrow to an alert and then set the civilian alert level to that alert, the dwarves will do everything in their power to get into that burrow and stay there. All the dwarves will do so, even the ones not assigned to that burrow. And when you switch the alert status to another alert, they'll leave the burrow if they have reason to. You don't need to assign dwarves to burrows manually to keep them safe.

Alternatively, you could make a macro to assign dwarves to a burrow en masse, but that's much less efficient than using the burrow system the way it's meant to be used.
^

Search and ask before assuming functionality for a given thing doesn't exist.  :P

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Necromunger

• Bay Watcher
  • Last Survivor of Bodicebent.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 06:59:27 pm »

you press "m" "a" then move across to the selected burrow and then press enter.

then they all run to that burrow.
for (Dwarf * newDwarf in dwarfArray){
      [newDwarf cancelJob];
      [newDwarf Drink];
}

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 07:04:05 pm »

then they all run to that burrow.

Well technically nothing stops them from leaving the burrow.....

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 07:16:37 pm »

Actually, when burrows are set by alerts dwarves will be interrupted (a "forbidden area" interruption) whenever they leave the burrow, and they actually do do their best to be inside the burrow, so in that case something does stop them from leaving the burrow.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2012, 07:23:10 pm »

Actually, when burrows are set by alerts dwarves will be interrupted (a "forbidden area" interruption) whenever they leave the burrow, and they actually do do their best to be inside the burrow, so in that case something does stop them from leaving the burrow.
...Unless they are forced to leave the burrow :P

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2012, 07:33:11 pm »

...Unless they are forced to leave the burrow :P
But put another way, alert-burrowing is MORE STRICT than spamming "assign 1 dwarf to this burrow". The latter only restricts where they can do jobs and get mats, the former REALLY stops them from going out.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2012, 08:09:57 pm »

The only things that allows a dwarf out of an alert burrow are life-saving means, namely leaving to get food or water before dying, being pushed by cave-in or water, or when the dwarf is running away from an enemy.

Well, moods will also partially negate burrows with Planepacked side-effects.