Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: random musings on vampiric care and feeding...  (Read 651 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
random musings on vampiric care and feeding...
« on: February 28, 2012, 03:03:04 pm »

Due to the recent confusion concerning the proper care and feeding of our nocturnally feeding undead bretheren, I have been thinking of some work-arounds to the "I want warm blood from a sleeping body! Not some nasty juice in a barrel!" Problem.

First, what we know:

1) vampires don't drink, because they never get thirsty.
2) we cannot mod vampires to be thirsty, because the exact nature of their syndrome is hard set at worldgen and doesn't come from the raws.
3) vampires will only suck a living body, while it is sleeping because of a "nodrink" tag in the generated syndrome.

Suggested science experiments:

1) try a vermin creature venom that induces thirst, with no other effects. Assign to something deployable, like bees.

2) combat the autogenned syndrome with another syndrome. Create a new syndrome associated with contact with (benign contaminant here, eg, water) that redacts the nodrink tag as its effect. This may have unfortunate consequences for animals who get wet, and then get thirsty though.

3) others?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: random musings on vampiric care and feeding...
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 03:14:33 pm »

Your solutions involve modding and are second-rate because of this.  Generally accepted appropriate science is anything that can be done with a fresh set of raws.

Code: [Select]
########
#  DBD #
#  ### #
#  X=X #
#  X=X 
#  X=X #
########
This has been my current method of vampire feeding - assuming adult vampire.  To the left is the containment area, where the vampire resides and does whatever he's supposed to do (ie, chair for a manager, etc).  To the upper center is an airlock with a bed in it.  This bed is assigned to a child.  When the child goes to sleep, you lock the outside door and unlock the inside, thus trapping the child in the room with the vampire.  To the lower center is a set of small stockpiles.  These should contain booze, food, and corpse piles.  The food stockpiles should be set to "take from" the main food stores, and the corpse can be left alone.  Disable barrels on the food stockpile for simplicity, prepared meals work best.  An additional barrel stockpile is usually needed to retrieve used booze barrels, or you could make the vampire into a brewer, or have a well.  In any case, you'll need items to keep the child(ren) alive.

When the cell needs to be stocked, you open the fort-side doors, in this case floodgates due to the large opening needed, and lock the vampire-side doors.  Dwarves will quickly take food from the main fort and load it into the airlock.  You then shift doors, closing the fort and opening the vampire.  An additional stockpile in the cell should be set to "take from" the airlock piles, thus encouraging the vampire to move items into the cell.  At the same time, if the vampire has killed any children he should quickly move the corpse onto the designated corpse stockpile.  Windows may be needed to encourage others to "discover" the corpse, in which case the top wall of the small bedroom would be ideal for a window.

It's a bit of micromanagement, but allows you to keep vampires separate from your fort with zero possible contact, except children and/or useless migrants.  An additional door can be installed in the cell, allowing the vampire to exit the fort and face a siege.  Barracks and equipment should be provided in the cell for the purposes of training and not being naked.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 03:15:52 pm »

...Tried removing [NO_DRINK] from the vampire interaction raws?

Oh yeah, it does come from the raws btw :P

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 04:15:00 pm »

Your solutions involve modding and are second-rate because of this.  Generally accepted appropriate science is anything that can be done with a fresh set of raws.

Code: [Select]
########
#  DBD #
#  ### #
#  X=X #
#  X=X 
#  X=X #
########
This has been my current method of vampire feeding - assuming adult vampire.  To the left is the containment area, where the vampire resides and does whatever he's supposed to do (ie, chair for a manager, etc).  To the upper center is an airlock with a bed in it.  This bed is assigned to a child.  When the child goes to sleep, you lock the outside door and unlock the inside, thus trapping the child in the room with the vampire.  To the lower center is a set of small stockpiles.  These should contain booze, food, and corpse piles.  The food stockpiles should be set to "take from" the main food stores, and the corpse can be left alone.  Disable barrels on the food stockpile for simplicity, prepared meals work best.  An additional barrel stockpile is usually needed to retrieve used booze barrels, or you could make the vampire into a brewer, or have a well.  In any case, you'll need items to keep the child(ren) alive.

When the cell needs to be stocked, you open the fort-side doors, in this case floodgates due to the large opening needed, and lock the vampire-side doors.  Dwarves will quickly take food from the main fort and load it into the airlock.  You then shift doors, closing the fort and opening the vampire.  An additional stockpile in the cell should be set to "take from" the airlock piles, thus encouraging the vampire to move items into the cell.  At the same time, if the vampire has killed any children he should quickly move the corpse onto the designated corpse stockpile.  Windows may be needed to encourage others to "discover" the corpse, in which case the top wall of the small bedroom would be ideal for a window.

It's a bit of micromanagement, but allows you to keep vampires separate from your fort with zero possible contact, except children and/or useless migrants.  An additional door can be installed in the cell, allowing the vampire to exit the fort and face a siege.  Barracks and equipment should be provided in the cell for the purposes of training and not being naked.

While driving I had another idea that does not involve modding, but does involve fire.

It has been reported that blood rain sates vampire feeding.  Barrels of blood won't directly feed aa vampire, which is verified.  However, what happens if we exploit the "artifacts never completely burn up" phenomenon to create a "blood gas infuser"?

Basically, create fortification walls or wall grates surrounding a "hot spot" where you have deposited said !!artifact!!.  From the room above, drop a barrel of blood into the hotspot.

The heat from the !!artifact!! Makes the barrel explode, blowing blood mist/vapor everywhere. We want this to get on Urist McVampire. This coats his clothing in blood, replicating the effect of bloody rain.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 04:23:49 pm »

The interactions in the raws are purely examples. I did a couple of regens using the same seed and end date, altering only the number of vampire curses in the raws vs. the number of vampire curses in the worldgen parameters. Ze raws, zey do nothing.

I have been thinking of some work-arounds to the "I want warm blood from a sleeping body! Not some nasty juice in a barrel!"
[....]
1) try a vermin creature venom that induces thirst, with no other effects. Assign to something deployable, like bees.
Isn't this like trying to make dwarves eat by making them drowsy? Bloodsucking and drinking (ie. the needs and behaviours caused by the lack of the NO_DRINK tag) are two different things.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 04:29:42 pm »

The idea is to make "permanently incarcerated" vampires thirsty, so they seek out the stockpile.  Not to integrate them into society.

Making them thirsty as a reaction to venom might possibly get them to drink booze.