Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Ditching the Fortress  (Read 3600 times)

NTJedi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Ditching the Fortress
« on: February 28, 2012, 02:22:36 pm »

I've reached 77 migrants and since the beginning they've all had terrible skills... not a single one worth mentioning much less bragging.  For some reason they keep arriving with doctor skills (level_10+).  I have enough doctors to provide medical care for the entire region.  I'm getting ready to walk away and start another fortress.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
Re: Ditching the Fortress
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 02:25:45 pm »

And you want advice on how to get rid of the fortress?

*Grabs popcorn*

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

NTJedi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 02:32:46 pm »

I think I will just place the fortress in storage then return sometime in the future when my game knowledge is better.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 03:23:47 pm »

You sure you don't want... Help in destroying it? :P

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 03:29:12 pm »

Dig. dig. dig.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 03:47:56 pm »

I don't understand the point of this thread.

So, magma everything.

Scarpa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 03:49:14 pm »

I've reached 77 migrants and since the beginning they've all had terrible skills... not a single one worth mentioning much less bragging.  For some reason they keep arriving with doctor skills (level_10+).  I have enough doctors to provide medical care for the entire region.  I'm getting ready to walk away and start another fortress.

Just change their labors, they'll develop skills over time.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2012, 04:25:26 pm »

Spoiler: As an alternative (click to show/hide)

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

NTJedi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2012, 07:36:32 pm »

I learned today from a kobold thief just how copper armor is really very weak.  It's all I have and the traders are not giving enough of the steel, iron and correct ore.  This is even after I've requested it by bumping the slider.

I thought my fort was secure, but the thief must have jumped down from the hill above because you can't walk up that way.

*Update:   A second kobold thief jumped down from the hill and they ignore all cage traps even after being discovered.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 07:58:44 pm by NTJedi »

WaffleEggnog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2012, 09:08:41 pm »

You can't defend against some kobold things? *Muffled laugh*. Well, I dont blame you, this happens to me all the time, but if you assign them labors via Dwarf therapist or the cluncky in game way, they will develop over time. Also, heads up, if the kobolds succeed in enough theivery, they will attack, and kill your aperantly defenseless fort.
WHEN POSSIBLE, I PREFER TO CONSUME YOUR FACE.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2012, 09:10:35 pm »

Wait, is your fortress so defenseless that they somehow overcome their cowardly natures and don't run away as soon as they're spotted?  :P

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

NTJedi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2012, 11:34:38 pm »

Also, heads up, if the kobolds succeed in enough theivery, they will attack, and kill your aperantly defenseless fort.
They haven't escaped with any stolen goods, but they jump down from the hill in front of my cavern entrance.

Wait, is your fortress so defenseless that they somehow overcome their cowardly natures and don't run away as soon as they're spotted?  :P
The second kobold ran away... the first one recognized my dwarf military dude was only wearing copper and actually stood his ground fighting back to the bitter end.  The kobold managed to cut his foot and hand which disarmed my soldier, but luckily my toughest soldier arrived and saved him. 
In the previous game I had one soldier wearing all iron and it took like 3minutes before the 7 goblins took him down.  For some reason he wasn't fighting back even after I instructed specifically him to attack them.  All he did was keep stepping backwards cowering in fear... if he would have fought back I'm sure he could have killed a couple.

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2012, 11:51:27 pm »

only takes 1-2 seasons to train a peasant to a legend. unskilled workforce is not a slow killer, its a golden opportunity to shape your labor force as you see fit.

NTJedi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2012, 09:17:13 pm »

only takes 1-2 seasons to train a peasant to a legend.

I have my soldiers training and I read the reports of them sparring, but they aren't reaching legend after 2 seasons... not even after 2 years.  What steps could I be missing?

Lord Snow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2012, 10:11:15 pm »

only takes 1-2 seasons to train a peasant to a legend.

I have my soldiers training and I read the reports of them sparring, but they aren't reaching legend after 2 seasons... not even after 2 years.  What steps could I be missing?
The step where you cheat by making a danger room.

Also, small squads reportedly train much faster than bigger ones, legit.
And assigning them a weapon type.
Pages: [1] 2