Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Ditching the Fortress  (Read 3597 times)

MiniMacker

• Bay Watcher
  • Side-effects include nausia, tantrum and insanity.
    • View Profile
Re: Ditching the Fortress
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2012, 05:59:27 am »

1. Draft half of the migrants to the militia.
2. Outfit them all with suits of steel.
3. Kill off the other half of the migrants.
4. ?????
5. Tantrum spirals.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 01:14:05 pm by MiniMacker »
It isn't a new Dwarf Fortress version until we're made to fear some kind of regular creature.  Carp, Elephants, Unicorns, Badgers, and now Mosquitos.  I've got 5 dorfBucks on the next one being plagues of groundhogs.

Intrinsic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2012, 08:03:07 am »

I learned today from a kobold thief just how copper armor is really very weak.  It's all I have and the traders are not giving enough of the steel, iron and correct ore.  This is even after I've requested it by bumping the slider.

I thought my fort was secure, but the thief must have jumped down from the hill above because you can't walk up that way.

*Update:   A second kobold thief jumped down from the hill and they ignore all cage traps even after being discovered.

It sounds almost liked your jumped in at the deepend? :) if you remove the ramps which lead down to your fort(assuming you built into a cliff face) then they can't do that.

Superb tutorial series which will explain how todo this:
http://afteractionreporter.com/2009/02/09/the-complete-and-utter-newby-tutorial-for-dwarf-fortress-part-1-wtf/
Start Duelyst with a bonus 100gold, use referral code: Buttfungus
Enter during signup or ingame under Settings.

NTJedi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2012, 01:28:29 pm »

It sounds almost liked your jumped in at the deepend? :) if you remove the ramps which lead down to your fort(assuming you built into a cliff face) then they can't do that.

http://afteractionreporter.com/2009/02/09/the-complete-and-utter-newby-tutorial-for-dwarf-fortress-part-1-wtf/

Of course I removed the ramps, I even tested trying to walk up the hill after my gate was closed and couldn't reach it.

Icefire2314

• Bay Watcher
  • Programmer and Space Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2012, 03:51:15 pm »

Of course I removed the ramps, I even tested trying to walk up the hill after my gate was closed and couldn't reach it.

Didn't you hear? Kobolds with wings are all the rage now. :P
"ERUTH PULL THE DAMN LEVER THE ZOMBIES ARE ABOUT TO GET INSIDE!"
"zzz"
BAY 12 MINI CITY: http://bay-12.myminicity.com/

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2012, 04:27:31 pm »

The step where you cheat by making a danger room.

Cannot tell if serious...

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2012, 12:01:57 am »

i didn't mean in the military, i meant in civilian jobs, where the term 'training' still applies. i hate danger rooms. (see my sig)

Lord Snow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2012, 09:21:50 pm »

i didn't mean in the military, i meant in civilian jobs, where the term 'training' still applies. i hate danger rooms. (see my sig)
i dont usually read peoples sigs as if they belonged to the posts; not if they dont mention them specifically :p

Civilian jobs train really fast too.
Just make sure you're actually training them; disable unwanted labours, make a workshop profile-limited to the dwarf, repeat random task.

The only things hard to train are probably milking (just for the FPS impact of large amounts of milkables), architecture and strand extraction.
Not sure what seems to be the problem here.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 09:23:32 pm by Lord Snow »
Pages: 1 [2]