Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Goblin Sieges won't work properly  (Read 821 times)

RPharazon

• Bay Watcher
  • [SEVERONBREAKS]
    • View Profile
Goblin Sieges won't work properly
« on: May 16, 2008, 04:15:00 pm »

In the past five goblin sieges that I've had, one squad inevitably just hangs out in one spot for a season or more, annoying my dwarves (which are 40 horizontal tiles away and 4 z-levels lower than the goblins), and don't really do anything.

This is especially bad since the caravans don't come anymore due to previous "problems", so they can't stimulate the goblins to attack.

My latest goblin siege has lasted for three seasons because of this...

<Zaratustra> DF -is- a complex version of the sims
<Zaratustra> except instead of purchasing new sofas
<Zaratustra> you die

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Goblin Sieges won't work properly
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2008, 05:00:00 pm »

Yeah, that happens. They tend to mull over things for a while and sometimes don't do anything at all. Try drafting someone into the military, stationing them near them to get their attention, then undraft him (thus causing him to run back to your Fort). That might get them motivated.
Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

RPharazon

• Bay Watcher
  • [SEVERONBREAKS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2008, 06:21:00 pm »

Well, I can't really do that since all of my dwarves would then rush out and loot the corpses. The goblins would inevitably kill them. Setting orders to military-dwarves only creates a bigger problem because of the skylights leading to the bedrooms in order to prevent cave adaptation. The dwarves wouldn't be able to get to their bedrooms and sleep, and they'd go crazy.

I also don't want to forbid every single item on every single already-dead goblin. That'd take more time than it would take the live goblins to do something.

<Zaratustra> DF -is- a complex version of the sims
<Zaratustra> except instead of purchasing new sofas
<Zaratustra> you die

toast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2008, 06:24:00 pm »

use "d->f" to forbid large areas of ground at a time. also, what i have done is dig a long channel around the entrance of my fort, enclosing a huge amount of land. once all the gobbos are inside the channels (they cross one of three bridges) i can pull a lever, thus preventing them from leaving. i can then either 1. wait for them to destroy themselves on my traps at their leisure (sp?) or send out my soldiers to wipe them out. it works quite well.
-Toast-_

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2008, 03:39:00 am »

Your trader problem might be fixable by deconstructing and rebuilding your trade depot..
As for you skylights, maybe you can build a extra underground passageway to be used in case of siege? If you set it's traffic designation to restricted your dwarfs will still use the skylighted passages when they are allowed to go outside.
Or even simpler, make two doors so you can lock the extra passageway when you don't want it used.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479