Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Kickstarter for DF?  (Read 1651 times)

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Kickstarter for DF?
« on: February 28, 2012, 09:47:04 am »

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
Re: Kickstarter for DF?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 09:59:16 am »

Yeah but hes using the money ro make books of his comics, what would toady do with the money? Pay his living ofcourse but I have feeling thats not really tje poknt of kickstarter. Mayby if he would start selling DF merchandise or something. Or if he was in financilly bad cituation. I've understood hes stable on money side right now.
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 10:03:14 am »

Yeah, well Rich Burlew sell products, but Toady could offer other things. He could've used it for financing the animal sponsorship drive, for example.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 10:21:11 am »

Does anyone use Kickstarter for long-term, ongoing support?  Raising $1 million becomes less appealing if you can only do it once.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 10:54:48 am »

Well, one million would give Toady $4000 for twenty years...but I see your point. Anyway, I don't think DF would raise that much.

Warmist

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of unfinished jobs
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 11:20:29 am »

Does anyone use Kickstarter for long-term, ongoing support?  Raising $1 million becomes less appealing if you can only do it once.
No, kickstarter requires quite the oposite: you can only get it for a on thing and then it ends. It's meant to kickstart things where you can't do without some sum of money (e.g. printing works, electronics etc...) if funding fails, the money is not taken away and not given to the project so it's all or nothing.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 11:53:39 am »

No, kickstarter requires quite the oposite: you can only get it for a on thing and then it ends. It's meant to kickstart things where you can't do without some sum of money (e.g. printing works, electronics etc...) if funding fails, the money is not taken away and not given to the project so it's all or nothing.

Perhaps it'd be worth looking at for a specific project requirement, like a new server?
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2012, 04:23:18 pm »

I don't think so.  People use it when they have a goal they want funded.  Suppose that, I don't know, Toady wanted to make DF 64-bit but needed hardware to make that happen.  Then Kickstarter might make sense.  On the other hand, he could just handle all that himself.  I mean, he already takes donations, so he could just start a whatever fund if need be.  Kickstarter might give more exposure, but I have no idea how much.

Rich Burlew was only the 3rd guy to get $1M on Kickstarter, after all.  And that was for a reprint drive for some comics of his that had mostly gone out of print.  I wouldn't expect every drive to go that well.
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.