Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Your most evil things in evil biomes.  (Read 4459 times)

CheatingChicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Your most evil things in evil biomes.
« on: February 28, 2012, 07:01:55 am »

Gather your stories about the most evil, dangerous or funny things or moments you've had in evil biomes.

I just had a cloud of yellow "wicked ash" move over my map. It was the most dangerous thing for dwarves. It caused necrosis in the liver of anything it touched :D

Moddan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Your most evil things in evil biomes.
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 07:05:01 am »

It caused necrosis in the liver of anything it touched :D

For all of them?!

CheatingChicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 07:18:01 am »

I made my dwarves retreat inside as soon as i saw the cloud coming for me, but all the wild animals that were inside the cloud died from rotten livers

Scraggletag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 10:19:48 am »

I'm not sure whether this is incredibly creepy or incredibly funny, but here is my story. The first time I embarked in a .34 evil biome, I made the mistake of butchering some animals.

I usually bring several extra turkeys with me because they are an excellent use of starting points. A single turkey provides up to 19 meals plus 6 bones, a skull and a hide. Four turkeys can almost outfit a entire marksdwarf (bone helm, greaves, gauntlets, crossbow and bolts plus leather armor, quiver, waterskin and boots).

So, I embark in an evil area with my usual rafter of turkeys with the intent of setting up a few marksdwarves ASAP. While the undead were milling about the edge of the map I told my soon-to-be marksdwarves to start gathering plants (mainly so they have one civilian skill). The miner starts digging a defensive ditch while the carpenter is cutting down trees, making a wooden weapon rack and shields. The farmer sets up a butchery and tannery and I give the order to have one of the turkeys put down.

The farmer grabs a turkey, drags it over to the butchers shop and very neatly separates it into its constituent parts. Next, he grabs the skin and takes it to the tannery to turn it into a piece of leather. A moment latter, all my dwarves scatter and the announcements page is filled with red interruptions. I thought the undead were attacking already, but it turns out that the turkey skin reanimated before the tanning process was complete. Fortunately, nobody was injured. The dogs I brought with me promptly tore the turkey skin apart.

Can you imagine a hollow turkey skin flopping about angrily and radiating pure hatred for the living? Yeah, me neither.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 10:38:36 am »

Giant Badger Corpses.  Like 7 of them, already present when my dwarves arrived.

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 11:54:21 am »

Hordes of wild boar corpses, the skin of butchered animals coming to life, and on this latest embark, vile soot that causes instant death. Luckily for me, I don't have undeath on this map.
Thank you everyone for the help! I've since flooded the fortress I was working on and now have a new one going up.

Old Greg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was evitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 12:04:56 pm »

Embark. Designate mining. Giant Hamster corpse immediately charges and bites the heads of three dwarves.

GOOD START

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2012, 12:18:24 pm »

The most evil things in my evil bioms are stair wierdness and dwarf stupidity.

The stair thing allows flying enemies to enter the tunnel to my archer tower by moving through a semi-vertical diagonal gap.

The dwarf stupidity is where some of my most valuable dwarfs inexplicable wander out into the undead wasteland if I turn off the burrow. I have a meeting hall, and they don't even have jobs up there, but they just wander up with 'No Job' if given half a chance and get themselves killed.
(Of course, if un-burrowed they try and go up there with cleaning jobs too if I don't stop them. Why is cleaning even a job? It seems to serve only to kill dwarfs.)

I also have undead wildlife, animating bodies, and husk-making mist clouds, but those don't cause as much trouble as the aforementioned problems.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 12:20:30 pm by EveryZig »
Soaplent green is goblins!

KtosoX

• Bay Watcher
  • Playing DF since 18.08.2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2012, 12:31:17 pm »

You could say that the cloud *puts sunglasses on* had something to de-liver...
Build a grid of floor grates above the entire city. Draft a squadron of masons and bomb the crap out of the city with falling constructed walls.
The Geneva Convention would like to have a word with you.
Quote from: Aleksanderus
I have clicked "d" in a forge and look what it did!

Enki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2012, 01:01:02 pm »

A stray kitten (tame) becoming a husk ... it killed all my 20 dwarves and the caravan ... beware Luzlemas!!

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2012, 01:18:03 pm »

Gather your stories about the most evil, dangerous or funny things or moments you've had in evil biomes.

I just had a cloud of yellow "wicked ash" move over my map. It was the most dangerous thing for dwarves. It caused necrosis in the liver of anything it touched :D

In my limited !!science!! whit poisoned wolf blood, liver disfunction does not cause anything.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2012, 01:36:03 pm »

So far, every save scum I've done on the current fort has succumbed to Water buffalo corpses. They completely destroyed the caravan, despite the valor of the two axedwarves. I suspect they're stronger by a lot than living Water Buffalo.
: Miner dwarves? In my volcano?

:I put childs into danger room...
They die, and their parents care nothing because legendary dining room.

simonthedwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • ¤Death¤
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2012, 01:45:34 pm »

It's me.
Quote from: Syndic
Sentry towers, manned by orang-utangs./quote]

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2012, 01:50:12 pm »

You could say that the cloud *puts sunglasses on* had something to de-liver...

Brilliant. I need a laughing emote here.
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Urists in a half shell (Turtle Power)

Schizotek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2012, 01:54:25 pm »

I melted my glacier. I caged 5 megabeasts and have them battle hordes of crundle husks and live troglodytes and ogres. I throw the living corpses of my migrants into the magma sea, to burn in agony for eternity.
That being said.....there's this REALLY annoying ghost who keeps battering my dwarves, and his corpse isn't available for engraving. Way more evil than me.
Imagine the will it took to create a fortress like this. And what have you elves built? Nothing. You can only loot and break. You're not dwarves!! You're just termites at Versailles.

It's not that I don't suffer, it's that I know the unimportance of suffering, I know that pain is to be fought and thrown aside, not to be accepted as part of one's soul and as a permanent scar across one's view of existence.
Pages: [1] 2