Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2 quick questions  (Read 4214 times)

Pvt.Tibbs

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
2 quick questions
« on: May 16, 2008, 01:27:00 pm »

Is there a way to build a portculas or large gate to allow for a 3 wide opening in  a fortress wall and still make it able to be defended easily and secondly. How do you make ballista ammo, i have the arrow heads what do i need to make the rest of it?
nowledge is power thats why squirrels scare people.

Goblin Dragoon 085

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 2 quick questions
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2008, 01:32:00 pm »

3 wide opening:

Well, you can use bridges. They can be strechted to 9x9 max, I think.
Or you can use 3 doors, because although a door needs a wall next to it when being built, it does not need the wall as support.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2008, 01:35:00 pm »

10x10, actually.  You can also use floodgates, as they do not require a standing wall.

You need wooden logs to make ballista bolts.  They're made at the siege workshop, I believe.  One log per bolt.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2008, 01:51:00 pm »

You can use floodgates to simulate a portcullis, but you should remember that they can be destroyed by certain enemies (trolls, demons).
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Sevrun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2008, 01:53:00 pm »

you only need the arrow heads if you're making something other than a raw wooden bolt, which is basically an overly large wooden stake  ;)
Demon of Darkness

zagibu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2008, 04:41:00 pm »

I think the option is "assemble a wooden ballista arrow" or something like that. If you already have arrow heads, you might want to try one of the other assemble options...
99 barrels of beer in the pile
99 barrels of beer!
If some dwarves know the way to the pile
0 barrels of beer in the pile!

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2008, 04:50:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Goblin Dragoon 085:
<STRONG>3 wide opening:

Or you can use 3 doors, because although a door needs a wall next to it when being built, it does not need the wall as support.</STRONG>

Goblin dragoon has not actually played DF for several months, it seems. Doors will not accept other locked doors as adjacent walls anymore. Floodgates and Bridges both work.

A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2008, 05:18:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by PTTG??:
<STRONG>

Goblin dragoon has not actually played DF for several months, it seems. Doors will not accept other locked doors as adjacent walls anymore. Floodgates and Bridges both work.</STRONG>

PTTG?? has no been paying attention, it seems. Doors can be built between two other doors by constructing a wall in a tile next to the tile wherein you want to build the door. Then deconstruct the wall and you have a three-wide door.

Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

toast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2008, 06:27:00 pm »

to get around the doors needing a support, you can build a wall/statue diagnally behind it, and then deconstruct it once you have your door(s) built.
-Toast-_

Pvt.Tibbs

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2008, 07:53:00 pm »

Thanks for the tips guys. Now heres another quick question. I just fended off a large party of goblins and 2 of my dwarves have suffered really bad leg injuries. How do i help them out and heal them?
nowledge is power thats why squirrels scare people.

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2008, 08:06:00 pm »

They'll take any unclaimed or Barracks beds and simply stay there until they're better. Dwarves with the Health Care labour switched on will (eventually) bring them food and water, and aside from that, it's a matter of time. A lot of time. Years, potentially.
Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

Sevrun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2008, 10:42:00 pm »

quote:
PTTG?? has no been paying attention, it seems. Doors can be built between two other doors by constructing a wall in a tile next to the tile wherein you want to build the door. Then deconstruct the wall and you have a three-wide door.

I gotta agree with PTTG on this one, I've never been able to erect a door with other doors as anchor points, and if you cut the wall away from one side of a double doorway then the door on that side falls over.

Demon of Darkness

Tenebrous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2008, 03:22:00 am »

I think what Dragoon and Kidiri were talking about was this setup, which works for me:

code:

#.....#   #:Wall, .: Floor, D: Door
##D.D##
#.....#   Normally, you cannot anchor the center door here.

#..#..#   By [C]onstructing a wall adjacent to the center,
##DDD##   building a door is now possible.
#.....#

#.....#   Once built, the center door doesn't require the
##DDD##   [C]onstructed wall, so it can be remove[d, n].
#.....#

The three door setup is nice for within your fortress in high-traffic hallways, but is not great for your fortress entrance. I like floodgates because they will keep out kobolds, and not block wagons if your Depot is within your fortress.

Enter TO CREATE THE WORLD.

Temetrix - Nilk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2008, 05:58:00 am »

Some words of warning. If you have trade depot inside, the wagons are not able to go through doors. No matter how wide row of doors you have. Thats why I prefer using drawbridges to seal my entrance.
um-beer coockies!

Goblin Dragoon 085

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2008, 05:35:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Goblin Dragoon 085:
<STRONG>3 wide opening:

Or you can use 3 doors, because although a door needs a wall next to it when being built, it does not need the wall as support.</STRONG>

I always wanted to quote myself.
See, the "although a door needs a wall next to it, when being built" shows that I am well aware of the fact, that you cannot place without a wall next to it.
but the "it does not need the wall as support" is actually a hint which indicated, that there might be a way, how to build in such a way, that you end up with multiple doors in a row that only support each other.

Btw: Why do people like to make a fool of oneself? I see this everywhere:

"NOOO, you seem to have no clue: Zombiegardeners are immune to acid based attacks"

"Hmm, yeah well. I guess I must be doing something wrong, cause I just killed a zombie gardener with the speel acidwave. And that spell deals only acid."

"Dude, you must really suck at this game. Are most likely dont even now what a zombie gardener looks like and mistaken him for a zombie nanny. Those can be harmed with acid."

"Nha, I can keep them apart. But I applied the official patch 3.2 (which was released 6 months ago) that removed acid immunity from several creatures, cause elemental mages keep getting stuck in the celestial caves and other places."

"*akward silence*"

If you try to correct someone, don't fail or else you will look like a fool.
The absolute classic being the grammar/spelling nazi who manages to have  several spelling/grammar errors in his corrective posts.