Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: how to create a sand tile on sandless embark?  (Read 12135 times)

TeleDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
how to create a sand tile on sandless embark?
« on: February 27, 2012, 05:06:53 pm »

I have tried to pour some sand I purchased from caravan on the gound, but my dwarves decided to clean it up  :(
why can't they clean up blood trails!?  anyway. How can I have a working glass industry without any original sand? any way to create one?

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
Re: how to create a sand tile on sandless embark?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 05:16:01 pm »

Usually when you cut a tree on a cavern it chooses a random kind of soil to replace that tile.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Daenyth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 11:05:13 pm »

If you pack enough grazers on a square they trample it to sand.

Strelek

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 07:29:04 am »

I remember reading somewhere that pouring lava over mud will create sand.

UnHerpers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 09:37:19 am »

You can change the raws of one of your current soil layers (Or the layer that appears under trees in the caverns) to be sand.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 03:18:15 pm »

You can't create sand on a sandless embark.

*Sad violin music*

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 04:47:23 pm »

Usually when you cut a tree on a cavern it chooses a random kind of soil to replace that tile.

Yes, but only chosen from the types of soil that are already on your site.  If you have no sand, this won't create it.

On a sandless embark, you will have to buy bags of sand from traders.

I'd like to know where you read that, because it is completely incorrect.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Strelek

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2012, 11:14:20 am »

It was in the story of The Saga of Weatherwires http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=93279.0.

DS

• Bay Watcher
  • DS cancels Attend Party: no floor space.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2012, 12:06:02 pm »

I'd like to know where you read that, because it is completely incorrect.

Not completely. There is one more step involved - the muddied stone must be allowed to grow vegetation, which is then burned away by magma, leaving a soil tile, as detailed in this post. Later, I discovered that magma is not actually crucial in the process - paving over mud growth with constructions, then removing them, seems to do the trick just as well.

As it turned out, even though there was no actual soil layer consisting of sand on my map, the upper cavern layer (I didn't check the others) apparently consisted of equal parts silt and red sand, hidden beneath the cave fungus. This soil can be revealed via the same method - magma or paving over (or foot traffic or animals, if you have enough) - and was, in my case, completely unrelated to any other soil on the map.

So, while that method worked for "fabricating" sand in my fortress, it was completely unnecessary for the purposes of fueling a glass industry, since that sand already existed elsewhere on the map, hidden from view. In conclusion, even if there appears to be no sand on your map, it may very well exist in the caverns.
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.