Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Where are the fortresses made in Lego?!  (Read 7314 times)

Eddren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Where are the fortress mods in Lego?!
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2012, 06:24:06 pm »

In describing DF to other people, I always use Lego as one of the associations. "The same freedom, that Lego allowed you as a kid, it's only boundary being your own imagination"

*COUGHandthebugsofthegameCOUGH*
I take it you don't weaponize bugs, then?
Ah, my dwarven heart beats with fierce pride for this.  I can't take it anymore!  I have to go do something profound.

Linenoise02

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Where are the fortresses made in Lego?!
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2012, 11:53:07 pm »

I have been mucking around with Lego with the boy and couldn't help but think that there should be heaps of cross over appeal between DF fans and Lego fans - however - a quick google search reveals nothing. No one has attempted to model a fortress, illustrate a story, make a movie, or anything DF related with Lego! This must've rectified!

I assume that rampant alcoholism, child labor, murder, violent dismemberment, genocide (for profit), genocide (for fun), and science experiments far beyond any horror movie are all things Lego would want to distance itself from.

TinyPirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2012, 01:34:18 am »

Oh, they don't need to put out sets, I am just surprised there are no Lego/DF crossover geeks who have modelled, say, their fortress entrance in Lego.

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
  • if you drive alone you drive with hitler
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2012, 02:08:20 am »

I have always said that there is only two games in world, Dwarf Fortress and Brikwars. All other game-things are just lame copies which are made for people who don't have imagination.

And I have build few DF-things to legos. Mainly minifigs, nothing big. Underground fortress would be extremely hard to make.

treczoks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2012, 03:19:04 am »

I have been mucking around with Lego with the boy and couldn't help but think that there should be heaps of cross over appeal between DF fans and Lego fans - however - a quick google search reveals nothing. No one has attempted to model a fortress, illustrate a story, make a movie, or anything DF related with Lego! This must've rectified!
This is an Outing :-)
I'm a so-called "AFOL" - Adult Fan Of Lego. One of those guys who build LEGO models for fun. And I'm a dwarf herder, too. So why haven't I build a Dwarf Fortress from LEGO bricks?

Well, have a look at the average fortress: All you can see from the surface is a hole in the ground, surrounded by a few walls, some animal pens, a trampeled path to the river and a lot of treestumps. All the interesting stuff happens down below. Honestly, this is not exactly inspiring.

I do have LEGO dwarves, and I plan on making one of them my avatar here, but DF does not deliver much to show.

Apart from that, each embark quare is about a sqare metre if build to a sensible scale, and would take a LOT of bricks.

I have to admit, though, that I used LEGO as a planning tool. Just grab a base plate, a few bricks, and start laying out your fortress, one stud per tile.

Leg bedre,
Christian
I fall into a strange mood. I withdraw from society. I claim a computer. I draw pictures of bedrooms. I draw pictures of farming levels. I draw pictures of defenses. I draw pictures of pipes and pumps. I start playing Dwarf Fortress!

TinyPirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2012, 04:08:29 am »

Good point - but I was thinking that my fortress entrance, for example, would be a great Lego model, being through a waterfall into a cliff face. I think you could definitely do scenes from DF, or tell a comic. What fun it would be.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2012, 08:40:04 am »

I build worlds with my Legos and my cats play the parts of megabeasts with the building destroyer flag set.  Does that count?   :)

Only if you take pictures and post them here.

The whole thing is posted here: http://www.drislink.com/slink/lego/fun.htm  I never finished it because I had to go run a family business for a few years.  I am actually on the next set of cats and haven't managed yet to clean up all of the Legos from the dining room.   :D
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

C0NNULL

• Bay Watcher
  • A bastion of crazy in a small area near Hurricanes
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2012, 09:32:00 am »

@slink, I think you out Lego me.

I was going to mention that it would be hard to look about my place and not see computers or Legos, (or the cat or ferret,) but I am outclassed. (Also, no photos due to walking out the door and going to work. We all know we need photos.)

Plus, printer is using paper I no longer stock. Nice touch.
The cat, Anom, approves of Scamps' methods. She admires fine scars on her human's body. She purrs in a method most disturbing. She thinks Scamps needs to train the human better. She rolls on the floor in a luxurious pile of catnip. She attacks her human lightly.
Rimamused  -  Dorfen Itza

Pawel1997PL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2012, 09:49:58 am »

*COUGHandthebugsofthegameCOUGH*

Bugs what bugs, are you talking about those ants or maybe about beetles, oh I know about what are you talking, you're talking about those mosquitos arent you?

Miuramir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2012, 01:50:52 pm »

I'm a so-called "AFOL" - Adult Fan Of Lego. One of those guys who build LEGO models for fun. And I'm a dwarf herder, too. So why haven't I build a Dwarf Fortress from LEGO bricks?

Also an AFOL here, although not super active these days.  Most of my purchases lately have been to support my growing Pirates fleet, as we use those for miniatures gaming; but I've been a Castle fan for a very long time. 

Well, have a look at the average fortress: All you can see from the surface is a hole in the ground, surrounded by a few walls, some animal pens, a trampeled path to the river and a lot of treestumps. All the interesting stuff happens down below. Honestly, this is not exactly inspiring.

Your lack of faith is disappointing :) I've seen some really neat MOCs over the years that are very DF like; a quick search turns up stuff like the following:  (note that none of these are mine)
* Ty Keltner's "Dwarf Mine"
* DARKspawn's "The Necromancer Bites Off More Than He Can Chew"
* DNL's "The dwarves mine"
* Bryan Graham's "Balin's Tomb"

In general, you are correct, but there's (at least) three obvious ways around the problem:
* Set the diorama when something exciting is happening; incoming caravan racing for the doors with a goblin ambush just behind, magma death machine evaporating an elf siege, or whatever
* Do a cross-section or other interior view, showing the much more interesting interior of the fort
* Plenty of folks do above-ground forts anyway, the Lego dwarves could be no exception

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2012, 01:53:22 pm »

In describing DF to other people, I always use Lego as one of the associations. "The same freedom, that Lego allowed you as a kid, it's only boundary being your own imagination"
And your hardware.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2012, 03:12:16 pm »

And your hardware.
Hmmyea, and that. Still, the freedom Lego offers you is also limited by hardware. In this case the amount of cash your parents were willing to spend to buy you those additional block sets.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Urist McUristy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2012, 03:15:26 pm »

Man I just can picture building a set and having a white dwarven minifigure behind some walls and having someone ask me what he is doing and be all like "Oh, he just walled himself in."

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2012, 04:55:20 pm »

@slink, I think you out Lego me.

I was going to mention that it would be hard to look about my place and not see computers or Legos, (or the cat or ferret,) but I am outclassed. (Also, no photos due to walking out the door and going to work. We all know we need photos.)

Plus, printer is using paper I no longer stock. Nice touch.

I still have one large box each of normal and wide tractor-feed paper, but the ribbons have long since dried out.  The printers that used it are buried under other stuff, but were working when I last tried them.  So is the laserjet that replaced them (broken), and the three inkjets that replaced the laserjet (one broken and two very expensive to keep in ink) .  We are back to laserjet again, now.  I also have a collection of computers in varying degrees of disrepair going back as far as 8086.  I gave away the Ataris, and the Z-80 that I built myself, about 20 years ago.  I am gradually throwing out about 25 years worth of PC Magazine.  After that I plant to start throwing out BYTE, and then some others which I have in much smaller numbers.

In between bouts of playing DF, I'm playing MM6, which is from 1998.  It's a very nice game.   ;D
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

TinyPirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 29, 2012, 12:59:50 am »

Great picture!

I would -love- to see a side on, cut away fortress. That would look awesome. Or failing that, some vignettes. There's a lot that could be done.
Pages: 1 [2] 3