Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: well from an aquifer  (Read 1075 times)

quarague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
well from an aquifer
« on: February 27, 2012, 04:40:26 pm »

is there a way to build a well that is feed by an aquifer above it? I channeled out some stuff below the aquifer but it always completly floods, I barely got the miners out there without anyone drowning.
More importantly, ... , making the project pointlessly difficult and requiring greatly overcomplicated means to set up  ...
from Sphalerite

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: well from an aquifer
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 04:42:27 pm »

You need to read up on pressure on the wiki. It's pretty simple - water will flood to whatever level the source is from. There are various ways to control it though.

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 04:44:52 pm »

floodgate.
This is a very dorfy thread, and you WILL read it.

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 04:45:36 pm »

Floodgates are a quick and dirty method :< Much nicer to have your reservoir always full because the pressure is right!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 04:47:22 pm »

diagonal flow removes pressure
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

white_darkness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2012, 04:49:04 pm »

Dig out your cistern, then excavate the passage towards the aquifer, if it's above the well location, make sure you have a diagonal at the cistern end of the feed line, instead of horizontal or vertical, this way the accumulated water pressure from dropping down is eliminated.  There's nothing like having your well overflow and fill up everything up to the aquifer source.

You'll also want to cover the floor of the feed line before hand, either with roads, or just a stockpile designation.  Once done, send a "lucky" miner to hack out the rock on the border of the aquifer, and it should start trickling out.  It does move somewhat quick, but out of a few hundred tries, I've never had a dwarf drown doing it.

I've had some other remarkably hilarious drowning situations though.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2012, 04:49:59 pm »

diagonal flow removes pressure

It depressurizes, but this water can still be pressurized :/

Easiest way is just to dig a room above the aquifer and channel down lines through floor, perfectly safe and wells can be built over it (going to nab scrn caps)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2012, 05:12:29 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Should look like that ^-^

white_darkness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2012, 11:57:07 pm »

Definitely simpler than my long spiel.  :)

Heh, though I had great fun when I tried to expand to another well, and carved a fortification into the existing cistern, and the water shot across the way, and slammed into the wall of the new storage facility, about 50 tiles away.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2012, 12:18:43 am »

OK, first locate the damp layer below the aquifer.

When you have that located, below that build a room that looks like this:

Code: [Select]
X = wall
# = floor grate (channeled out below)
F = floodgate
* = floor

XXXXX
XX##X
*F#XX
XX##X
XXXXX
And on the level below that:
X = wall
F = floodgate
* = floor

XXXXXXX
XXXX**X
*F#**XX
XXXX**X
XXXXXXX

Below that grate is a channel going down the desired number of Z levels. 

It is important that you ensure all passages used in the construction of the downward channel are sealed properly to stop water BEFORE you do the last step in order to prevent excessive water based FUN.

At the bottom, build this exactly:

X = wall
* = floor
F = floodgate

XXXXXX
XXF*XX
X*X*** (To TOP level of cistern for well)
XXF*XX
XXXXXX

The cistern should be constructed as desired with a path directly to this device above.  This device is a "pressure reduction valve", safely turning pressurized water into unpressurized water.  There are many designs, but they all do the same thing - diagonal flow removes pressure.

The floodgates are optional.

The distance to the cistern should be as short as possible.  The longer the distance is, the longer the well will take to fill.

When everything is complete, dig out an upward ramp into the base of the aquifer like this:

X = wall
F = floodgate
* = floor
^ = upward ramp

XXXXX
XX##X
*F#^X
XX##X
XXXXX

If done correctly, water will gush from the upward ramp and pour down the grates.  Your miner should be able to escape, and this level as well as the level below this should be sealed off for optimal fun prevention.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.