Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9

Author Topic: Oh Armok, it has begun!  (Read 12634 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Oh Armok, it has begun!
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2012, 08:36:09 pm »

->

Carp is now a paradox

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2012, 08:41:31 pm »

This must be why the politicians refuse to take action! They cannot self-resolve the liars paradox concering the truthfulness of the asian carp infestation, given that they were informed of the problem's existence by another political group!

Genius! Carp really is a paradox!

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2012, 09:03:42 pm »

Not entirely sure how fish replacing other fish devastates the fishing industry.

If they were jellyfish I would get it but ... carp is edible man.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2012, 09:08:32 pm »

If they were jellyfish I would get it but ... carp is edible man.

Yep, lets completely ignore the eco-system gais  ::)

"Yeah don't worry we just nuked the Amazon, Malaysia and the Galapagos, but we put some Toads in it so it's all cool."

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2012, 09:10:18 pm »

The problem is natural predators, and total carry capacity of the ecosystem.

Take for instance, rabbits in AU.  Rabbits eat the foodsources of indiginous small animals, far outnumber them in a short period, and have no natural predators. They strip the environment of that type of foodsource, leading to biosphere collapse.

Same thing with xenotic zebra mussels in freshwater lakes, and asian carp.

When they are introduced, it is a countdown until there is nothing else in the lake.

*edit: attempt to fix attrocious spelling
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 09:13:12 pm by wierd »

Masta Crouton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2012, 09:15:24 pm »

speak for yourself. i like to think i'm the decedent of all those wiseass tricky Americans.  :P
You mean the same ones who knew to capitalize their I's, and put a dash between wise and ass?
Sorry, had to point out that you didn't have to be a descendant of a wise-ass to BE a wise-ass.

eh, i prefer to keep my grammar and capitalization as informal as possible on here. you assume too much by my forum posting.

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2012, 09:43:12 pm »

Take for instance, rabbits in AU.  Rabbits eat the foodsources of indiginous small animals, far outnumber them in a short period, and have no natural predators. They strip the environment of that type of foodsource, leading to biosphere collapse.

You'd think dingo's would eat the rabbits, or do they just eat babies?
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2012, 09:44:16 pm »

You'd think dingo's would eat the rabbits, or do they just eat babies?

Dingos are canines, they tend to eat everything, and will probably eat themselves to death.
This is a very dorfy thread, and you WILL read it.

Eddren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2012, 09:45:21 pm »

speak for yourself. i like to think i'm the decedent of all those wiseass tricky Americans.  :P
You mean the same ones who knew to capitalize their I's, and put a dash between wise and ass?
Sorry, had to point out that you didn't have to be a descendant of a wise-ass to BE a wise-ass.

eh, i prefer to keep my grammar and capitalization as informal as possible on here. you assume too much by my forum posting.
I'm going to assume you misunderstood why I was stating by that forum posting, and in this case, I'd give my post an 80% chance of being correct, since my post had absolutely nothing to do with the poster, other than a statement that his ancestors weren't the only way that one could be a wise-ass.
Ah, my dwarven heart beats with fierce pride for this.  I can't take it anymore!  I have to go do something profound.

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2012, 09:48:28 pm »

do carp like, taste bad or something? Why don't we just eat them instead?
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2012, 09:49:03 pm »

Insufficient pressure.

Rabbits are the "keystone prey animal" in the northern hemisphere in most temperate climates.
They have multiple litters of 6 to 12 kits per year, and reach sexual maturity in 1 year.

In short: they fricken catsplode. In the northern hemisphere, they are eaten by:

Fox
Wolf
Feral cats
Owls
Hawks
Snakes
Coyote
(Insert northern temperate carnivore here)

In AU, this list is far shorter, and the rabbits reproduce faster than they can be eaten. Add to this the fact that they live in warrens which concentrates the ecological damage they do, and you quickly see how they are a very bad thing.

Feb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2012, 09:57:54 pm »

You'd think all those venomous insects and reptiles down under would be able to deal with the rabbits, but nope, that's not how science and nature work (yes, some retards back in the day tried to argue with that).

At least rabbits have A FEW predators, but the toads, oh god the !!TOADS!!

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 27, 2012, 10:01:10 pm »

Its my understanding that cats were introduced in AU to help deal with the woild rabbit* (and rat/mouse) population.  Of course, the cats out predatored their AU counterparts, leading to massive numbers of cats, and very little for any of the other smaller predators to live off of.

Oh, and if Carp == SRS BSNS (Philosophy) then Carp == Internet Spaceships (which are SRS BSNS, and have been for a decade or so). This means that Dwarf Fortress == Eve Online!  :D

* My apologies, i'd just couldn't resist. ;)
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

tommy521

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2012, 10:12:57 pm »

Sounds about right. I harbor an extreme dislike for society, particularly the vast materialism present in pop culture. Money is the worst - you should be fully capable of obtaining everything you need on your own.

You... you are a wonderful person who shares my beliefs and my want for being independent. And that is why we play Dwarf Fortress. I for one enjoy being able to make decisions that could kill or help an entire civilization.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2012, 10:22:15 pm »

Sounds about right. I harbor an extreme dislike for society, particularly the vast materialism present in pop culture. Money is the worst - you should be fully capable of obtaining everything you need on your own.

You... you are a wonderful person who shares my beliefs and my want for being independent. And that is why we play Dwarf Fortress. I for one enjoy being able to make decisions that could kill or help an entire civilization.

I won't put down anyone that wants to be fully self-actualized and independent. However, there are just too many people on the planet to sustain without the economies of scale that mass production with specialization permits.

That is to say, there just isn't enough land to supply everyone on earth with the raw materials and space they need to practice such a philosophy, and as such, it cannot be practiced by everyone without condemning a huge portion of the global population to starvation.

I find that ethically reprehensible, so I compromise, as per page 2 of this thread.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9