Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How can I get water to my poor injured dwarves in winter  (Read 1057 times)

Daratabaratamisata

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
How can I get water to my poor injured dwarves in winter
« on: May 16, 2008, 12:05:00 am »

I'm playing on a temperate map - warm in the summer, frozen tundra in the winter. No magma (at least that I've found, and I've dug several d-layers deep).

It seems my dwarves are bred to get injured in the late summer or early autumn. This way, just as their mangled leg or whatever heals, the dehydration does them off.

I know that injured dwarves only drink water. So plump helmets (my otherwise-savior) are useless.

I've tried building a well in a pond, but it breaks during winter (once the ice freezes over you get the mechanism and a bucket at the bottom).

Is there a simple way of, I dunno, maybe having a couple water barrels for times like these? Nothing like losing two elite wrestlers to routine sparring injuries...    :(

[ May 16, 2008: Message edited by: Daratabaratamisata ]

Solara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How can I get water to my poor injured dwarves in winter
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2008, 12:14:00 am »

Try building your wells a few levels down. I'm not sure exactly how deep it has to be but after a certain point water won't freeze.

Daratabaratamisata

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2008, 12:31:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Solara:
<STRONG>Try building your wells a few levels down. I'm not sure exactly how deep it has to be but after a certain point water won't freeze.</STRONG>

Yeah, I figured it'd have to be this. BTW, if my understanding of the wiki is correct, it doesn't matter what z-level the water is, so long as there's a (natural? I think...) ceiling above it.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2008, 12:32:00 am »

Hollow out a large chamber and tap all the nearby ponds into it.  If you've got a river, all the better, but you've got to be careful so you don't flood yourself (read up on the "U-bend bug").  So long as water is underground (it doesn't matter how deep down it is, just that there's a natural floor above it) it will not freeze.  You may want to try and set up an "icefarm" outside by freezing a shallow pool in winter.  Any amount of water will turn into a full block of ice, and a full block of ice will always melt into a 7/7 tile of water.  Set up a design that will allow you to refill your reservoir with that handy little exploit.

Goblin Dragoon 085

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2008, 06:24:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Daratabaratamisata:
<STRONG>
Yeah, I figured it'd have to be this. BTW, if my understanding of the wiki is correct, it doesn't matter what z-level the water is, so long as there's a (natural? I think...) ceiling above it.</STRONG>

Pretty much. The tile has to be DARK and then water wont freeze.