Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: I am suck at this games.  (Read 5976 times)

makpantek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I am suck at this games.
« on: February 27, 2012, 09:30:02 am »

My first fortress and the aftermath of the very first goblin siege(and my fail irrigation):

While you guys laughing at my expense, i would like to as a few newbie's questions.
Where can i make a lever for my floodgate?
Can a dwarf pass through an "open" floodgate? so that i can mine an underground lake to flood my farm.

Now i understand why you guys hate tree hugging elves, they trade tree product but straight away pissed off as soon as i offer wooden barrels full of wine/alcohol.
What's a good(valuable) trading items for trading at the beginning (for all races caravan)?
For some reason on trading phase, it show the weight instead of trading value, perhaps i pressed a wrong button somewhere,
How to set it back so i can see trading values?

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I am suck at this games.
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 09:34:52 am »

While you guys laughing at my expense, i would like to as a few newbie's questions.
Where can i make a lever for my floodgate?
Can a dwarf pass through an "open" floodgate? so that i can mine an underground lake to flood my farm.

Now i understand why you guys hate tree hugging elves, they trade tree product but straight away pissed off as soon as i offer wooden barrels full of wine/alcohol.
What's a good(valuable) trading items for trading at the beginning (for all races caravan)?
For some reason on trading phase, it show the weight instead of trading value, perhaps i pressed a wrong button somewhere,
How to set it back so i can see trading values?

You can make a lever for your floodgate anywhere, probably close and in a location where it'll be clear what it is hooked up to. When you make it, you'll need to link it up to the floodgate with two mechanisms. Dwarfs can walk through an open floodgate, yes.

I usually just build a bunch of rock crafts (set on repeat), gets rid of worthless stone, everyone likes them, and you can encrust with gems as well to up the value.

Not sure about the trade question,  I'd have to go look into it. It is probably a hotkey somewhere on the trade screen, tho.

Enki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 09:39:25 am »

If I understood this lever question correctly, you're asking where you can build and then construct them? You need mechanisms for them, made at a mechanic's workshop. You need three of them to make a lever and link it to a floodgate. You can construct a lever by pressing [T][l].

Linkeron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My FB page
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 09:40:41 am »

Firstly, we're not laughing at you. Haven't you ever heard of Bronzemurder and Oilfurnace? Dwarf Fortress is like war, Tic Tac Toe, and The Game (I just lost, BTW). The only winning move is not to play. Congratulations, you popped your cherry.

Secondly, the command string for building levers is (b)uild, (T)raps/Levers, and then (l)evers. You need one mechanism to build the lever, and an additional two to connect it to an object, say a floodgate.

Open floodgates are technically non-existant as long as it's open. Anything may pass through. Make sure you know how to close it.

Stonecrafting is my defacto method for amassing wealth in the first few years. If you start with a Proficient Stonecrafter in one of your starting 7, and immediately have him set to work making stone goods, he'll be pumping out masterwork quality goods by the time your first caravan arrives. Make sure you build lots of Bins to hold them, otherwise your stockpiles will fill up FAST.

I dunno about the 'only displaying weight' bit. Perhaps a lack of 'appraiser' skill on your broker denies seeing prices on goods?

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 09:50:13 am »

One point - do NOT trade whole bins of stone goods to Elves, as the bins piss them off. You unfortunately have to select every stone craft individually out of the bin to avoid making them mad.

Linkeron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My FB page
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2012, 09:54:21 am »

One point - do NOT trade whole bins of stone goods to Elves, as the bins piss them off. You unfortunately have to select every stone craft individually out of the bin to avoid making them mad.
I do that anyway. The bin itself typically does not have a decent price to it, and every bin I trade away I either have to make due without or cut down another tree to replace, and the logs would be better put to use making a palisade, bed, or even charcoal to make metal bars.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2012, 09:58:12 am »

Make drawbridges and link them to levers.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2012, 09:59:02 am »

well, if you get access to lead, I'd recommend making bins out of that instead of wood. As far as the weight thing goes, it's most likely a lack of appraisal. Your broker works that skill every time you trade and stuff, so it'll fix itself eventually. levers are ‼FUN‼ if you do them wrong, but they're one of the easiest things to get the hang of imo.
This is a very dorfy thread, and you WILL read it.

Rodge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2012, 10:03:45 am »

I usually just build a bunch of rock crafts (set on repeat), gets rid of worthless stone, everyone likes them, and you can encrust with gems as well to up the value.

Wow, I'm not even THAT patient. I just give them random rocks I have a lot of, not even  bothering to make crafts. They take it just fine, and with my mining I always have way more then they can carry with whatever I choose to give them. Same for most traders, really.

I don't trade, I have garbagemen that pay me for the honor.
People keep saying that doing an Evil embark is like experiencing a Zombie Apocalypse but that's not accurate. In a zombie apocalypse the zombies overwhelm the inhabitants corrupting the land and trapping a band of survivors. In DF a group of people with a perfectly fine place to live, look at a corrupted hellhole overrun by the legions of the undead boot them out and say "No, we live here now."

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2012, 10:04:11 am »

This. I speed this up with macros. ctrl-r, down t down t down t for a full page, ctrl-r, ctrl-s, save as "trade full select", the hit ctrl-p to make it repeat what you just did. That'll work for anything, by the way. ctrl-l to load a saved macro.

To reiterate, make sure you sell them nothing wood, lol.

Stone crafts are good, I find goblins wear a ridiculous amount of giant silk cloth items, that can be a good revenue source if you have a few dozen cage traps to catch them, and mugs can be nice, type of stone craft.

To see trade in trade screen, your broker needs appraisal skill. Using the trade screen for a few caravans should bring someone without any skill up enough that you will see the value.

My last fort, had a gobbie capture system, was getting around 20,000 trade value in giant cave spider silk stuff each year, 100 gobbie per year, mostly ambushes, lol.
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

Linkeron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My FB page
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2012, 10:05:48 am »

I don't trade, I have garbagemen that pay me for the honor.
I like this.

Chilton

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok Cultist - Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2012, 10:18:20 am »

Not too bad.
I mean, its far from good. But its okay for now :)

All Your Questions have been answered, but I have one suggestion.
DOORS.
Make them.
ASAP.

Have fun!
I Like To Think Of Myself As An Artist - I Create Masterpieces With My Tools Of Trade.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2012, 10:33:51 am »

since it wasn't conclusive:

if the broker has no appraiser skill, you won't see a value
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

zubb2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2012, 10:46:09 am »

Brokers let you see how much somthings worth??

Bugger never used one before ever.
(Anyone else have any stories that can compare to a man being beaten to death with his own trousers by a giant gopher?)
(when goblins showed up, I mumbled "Smithers! Release the hounds!" and had the lever pulled.)

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2012, 10:46:56 am »

That and getting the merchants to accept less profit is...the point of them, yes :p

You want a broker with appraisal to see the value of..everything, anyway.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4