Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: I am suck at this games.  (Read 5974 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: I am suck at this games.
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2012, 10:55:58 am »

All I have to say is "Congrats on getting a doctor to work.  You've made a major step there."  Also "You don't need to irrigate those farms.  Farms built on soil don't need mud."

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2012, 10:58:17 am »

bookkeeper with apraisal to see the "worth" of your fort
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Marshall Burns

• Bay Watcher
  • American Wizard
    • View Profile
    • Beyond the Wire Productions store
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2012, 10:59:43 am »

Hey, don't feel bad about getting killed by goblins. Statistics (that I just made up based on casual observation) indicate that you've got 3 or 4 more of those losses coming, plus 1 or 2 due to FBs, 1 from a titan or dragon, and a big one from the Hidden Fun Stuff if nobody spoiled it for you, before you get the hang of it. On the bright side, once you get the hang of it, it's so easy that you develop enough of a deathwish to go zombie-baiting and such just to make it more interesting.
By the way, I design table top RPGs and other games. You can buy some.

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2012, 11:01:50 am »

Don't forget all the deaths by flooding, starvation, dehydration, magma, tantrum spirals, etc etc.

Everyone dies in DF :D

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2012, 11:04:21 am »

don't forget accidentally flooding the fort, forgetting to seal the caverns properly and having a horde of troglodites and trolls kill some people causing a tantrum spiral, not being able to satisfy axedwarf crazy-mood and him going berserk, trying to create a magma dumper to deal with invaders and magma-flooding your fort and many, many more disasters

ninja'd
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Kibstable

• Bay Watcher
  • We didn't start the fire...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2012, 11:07:34 am »

I have a large stockpile for crafts above my trade depot - when the caravan arrives a pit is designated above a corner of the trade room, and all the crafts get dumped to 1 square right next to the trade depot, a couple of  haulers move it to the depot after reclaiming the crafts, I just hope the traders bring me enough stuff I acually want, as I want them to take all the crafts.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2012, 11:09:37 am »

In general, your fort will die to 1: Goblins, or 2: Something you did.  In the early days, it'll be goblins more than anything else.  Once you gain confidence in your leadership (or stop carrying about dwarven lives) then you'll start to become a proper overseer with the intense desire to reshape the world around you and the skills to do so.  This is when you start caving in walls on accident and kill your mayor to induce a tantrum spiral, and when megaproject death toll rises the most.

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2012, 11:15:50 am »

One of my forts died because I accidentally let out a pair of blind cave ogres, having assumed that trading animals and prisoners was fixed this version... between them and the giant mosquito horde, my dorfs never stood a chance. Even the voracious cave crawler and several rutherers I tamed couldn't stand a chance...
This is a very dorfy thread, and you WILL read it.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2012, 11:33:15 am »

One of the secret of survival against goblin sieges is to have planned ahead, from even before the goblins actually started showing up.

in 0.28.x it wasn't that needed as your soldiers trained quicker and were having very high skill (the price was that training could be dangerous for the dwarves), higher than the goblins ones, but since 0.31.x in which military train a lot slower (assuming you're not using a "danger room" exploit) and the goblins are much stronger so you'll need a trap system.
A mix of building walls, setting traps everywhere can do wonders to break the backbone of a giant goblin siege army

Adding the archery range that is broken in current DF means additionally that your marksdwarves will not be as good as they should be by the time a goblin siege arrive, while they'll have very good archers in their ranks.

So plan from the start a trap system, but try to not build 1 tile large corridors with walls, for some reason i noticed the siege army were very reluctant in walking inside, prefer to build 2 tiles large ones to channel the goblin armies to their doom.

Nothing more satisfying than seeing a 80 goblins+ogre+other monsters strong siege army showing up and only 10 of them managing to reach your fortress entrance alive or not trapped, only to be destroyed by your 20 dwarves.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2012, 11:45:34 am »

Toady has fixed archery targets and that'll be in the next bugfix release (ie, very soon).

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2012, 11:54:45 am »

Toady has fixed archery targets and that'll be in the next bugfix release (ie, very soon).

Cool, so they'll start getting more experience or something? I never noticed a difference no matter how long they shoot at a em.

Come to think of it, I've not noticed em shooting in 0.34, is that the broken you mean? Lol. But ya, 0.31 they'd shoot at em all day, didn't seem to make a dif far as I could tell.
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

Linkeron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My FB page
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2012, 12:03:00 pm »

Will Armor and Weapon Racks be fixed as well? I dunno where to go to look up bugfix reports just yet...

makpantek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2012, 12:46:32 am »

All I have to say is "Congrats on getting a doctor to work.  You've made a major step there."  Also "You don't need to irrigate those farms.  Farms built on soil don't need mud."

Yeah, i figure it out when someone's wounded notify me every 5 secs. Sigh... i should have read the farm section under wiki closely next time. Spent an entire day to read irrigation and planning to make such system.

Well, the problem is when the goblins arrived, all my recruits were still equipped with training axes/swords/spears. It took 5 recruits to kill a single goblin axemaster. It's time to refer to wiki again to find how to make weapons.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 12:51:24 am by makpantek »

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2012, 01:06:00 am »

Buy ore, smelt ore, build weapon at forge. I usually embark with 3 units of cassiterite and 3 of bismthinite, and typically dig for 6 copper units. Smelt everything to bars, then smelt them into bismuth bronze. That will give you a LOT of metal: 1 tin + 2 copper + 1 bismuth = 4 bismuth bronze bars. Triple that, and you've got weapon, mail shirt, boots, and chain leggings for 3 dorfs. Also, bring iron ore, fuel, and flux. Enough for ONE bar per military dorf. Turn it into steel helms.

OR get wood, build crossbow at bowyer's workshop, make bolts at craftdorf shop. Draft everyone in 10 man squads, give them crossbows and quivers.

Also: when you embark, make your military dorf a Proficient Teacher and Proficient Dodge OR a weapon skill. Maybe 2 teachers, one with dodge and one with a weapon skill. They will POWERLEVEL together.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2012, 01:09:22 am »

FWIW, you can turn invaders off in the d_init file. Maybe you like to learn the game while under the gun, but after trying to dig a well and having goblins constantly invade in the middle of it, I turned them off. It can be hard to see any late game features or even explore some parts of the game more thoroughly when invaders are breaking down your doors in year 2. Especially now since migrant waves seem to have gotten HUGE, and that can push you toward getting goblins quickly.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4