Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: which is best (stupid question)  (Read 3621 times)

Melzer

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_POST][CURIOUSBEAST_POSTER][FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
which is best (stupid question)
« on: February 27, 2012, 06:56:52 am »

Which is the best metal to make swords out of? lead, silver or gold?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Linkeron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My FB page
Re: which is best (stupid question)
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 08:05:57 am »

Gold can't maintain an edge, it's a soft metal. In reality a gold sword would conform to the shape of whatever you hit it with. Silver isn't that durable either, but it's better than gold. Lead? I dunno if it could hold an edge, but in my mind a lead sword wouldn't be used for thrusting or parrying. It would be a chopping/hacking weapon, using its weight to force its way through a body.

Hotaru

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange foreigner fond of industry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 08:19:39 am »

No need to guess, just make gladiators in adventure mode with gold swords vs. silver swords or such.

I can tell you from experience, it's not tin.
It is said knowledge is like a foul-smelling herb. It must be cooked well and thoroughly with experience to make it palatable. A young scholar's knowledge is therefore not only worthless but disgusting. -- In Dwarf Fortress you have another paradigm. Gather as much of that smelly herb as you can and toss it at your enemy, fracturing his skull through the +capybara man leather cap+.

chris_strain

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 08:25:27 am »

If those are the only metals you have then you'd be best off using the silver to make blunt weapons. Of the 3, iirc, silver is the only one it will let you use for weapons. Outside of an artifact mood ofc.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 08:30:35 am »

if magmawiki and my raws aren't lying to me then its silver for cutting attacks even if you mod for gold and lead swords.

silver has the highest shear yield and fracture points followed by gold and then lead

Yield       Fracture
silver    100k       170K
gold       50K       100K
lead       10K         12K

edit: also according to the wiki a lower density may also contribute to killing power so you are better off following chris_strain's advice and making hammers/maces anyway
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 08:35:49 am by Unholy_Pariah »
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2012, 08:42:16 am »

If you've somehow created galenaworld like I always manage to do, then sliver maces are your friend.

I'd recommend modding in lead ammo as well, because a) I have tons of the bloody stuff and b) I find historically inaccurate lead bolts to be less thematically disturbing than historically inaccurate lead barrels.
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

Randy Gnoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2012, 08:49:15 am »

Lead is better used to make buckets, pipe sections, flasks, large pots for storing booze and food- that sort of thing.

Gold is for furniture, and silver is for warhammers. 

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
  • Blood for the blood god!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2012, 09:06:24 am »

Remember, the Latin word for lead is the root of the word "plumbing".  The Romans used it for all sorts of water systems, yet there is no record of mass death due to lead poisoning, as the lawyers would have you believe.  Thus, lead barrels make perfect sense, provided that the lead is strong enough to prevent them from being damaged from normal use.
If ignorance is bliss, why are my dwarves all tantruming?

claer_runway

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2012, 09:11:39 am »

Remember, the Latin word for lead is the root of the word "plumbing".  The Romans used it for all sorts of water systems, yet there is no record of mass death due to lead poisoning, as the lawyers would have you believe.

Apparently roman water had so much calcium in it the inside of the pipes tended to get coated, it did increase the stillbirth rate though.

Great, now it just occurred to me that DF should simulate stillbirth. I'm a horrible person.
You can't program common sense.

like Skies of Arcadia?:
http://www.youtube.com/user/clearrunway

Hotaru

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange foreigner fond of industry
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2012, 09:18:11 am »

Well, it would also be nice if cinnabar were actually deadly if you happen to mine large chunks of it, like in real life. As damaging nerves and causing psychiatric symptoms.
It is said knowledge is like a foul-smelling herb. It must be cooked well and thoroughly with experience to make it palatable. A young scholar's knowledge is therefore not only worthless but disgusting. -- In Dwarf Fortress you have another paradigm. Gather as much of that smelly herb as you can and toss it at your enemy, fracturing his skull through the +capybara man leather cap+.

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2012, 10:23:19 am »

Well, it would also be nice if cinnabar were actually deadly if you happen to mine large chunks of it, like in real life. As damaging nerves and causing psychiatric symptoms.

... Is this toady's evil scene? To make us all geologists?
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2012, 10:26:47 am »

try it in arena, I guess
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Dr. Melon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2012, 10:30:00 am »

I'm sure that you could mod the material to give slight nerve damage & drowsiness symptoms. (Note that drowsiness seems to affect psychological stability in fortress mode - there was a thread about it not long ago)

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2012, 10:33:03 am »

Interactions are a cool feature. Now lead/mercury/radiation poisoning can actually happen.
This is a very dorfy thread, and you WILL read it.

claer_runway

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2012, 10:35:11 am »

radiation poisoning! pitchblende goblets ftw.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 10:37:46 am by claer_runway »
You can't program common sense.

like Skies of Arcadia?:
http://www.youtube.com/user/clearrunway
Pages: [1] 2 3