Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The Tale of Bromdilimul, "Lancegolds"  (Read 1834 times)

janglur

• Bay Watcher
  • +Blood Soup+
    • View Profile
The Tale of Bromdilimul, "Lancegolds"
« on: February 27, 2012, 02:23:37 am »

You see before you what looks, for all intents and purposes, to be a mole-man of some sort.  He was old and grizzled looking, having a few scars and a long beard and whiskers twisted and braided with glass beads.  He wore a pig tail brais and matching vest as he sat in a wooden chair, smoking a pipe.  His hands ended in enormous, blunt claws for digging, but also potentially quite formidable as weapons.

Let me tell you a tale.  Sit a while, and listen.

You seem surprised to see me.  First time meeting a Mogun, eh?  Well, i'll start with that, then.  The history of the Mogu.  I'll be brief.

Long ago, we Mogun dwelled within the great caverns.  There we hunted and lived as any tribesmen would, lacking the luxury and knowledge of a civilized society.  But we made do, hunting worms and fungi to eat, and we did well enough.  One day, however, we were found by a civilization known as Dwarves, who I am sure you are familiar with.  We welcomed them, and in turn, they did the same.  They taught us many things, and we returned the favor.  Finding their way of life preferable, we soon came to live with them and work for them.  But this would not last.  As we gave more of our time, labor, and knowledge of the caverns, they gave increasingly less in return.  Much of their technology and metallurgy were kept from us, until they discovered a metal of the gods.  They would not even let us see it, and this infuriated us-  for we were the ones who brought them to it, dug our way there.  With sadness, we decided to depart from them, and stake our own claims within the young world.  We found an arid place with much soil and fertile minerals, and there the first home of the Mogun was dug-  Gramor, it was called, meaning 'Earth'.
There, we developed our own ways, respecting our elders and the ancients' traditions.  We learned to make our own goods, and produce our own equipment.  We even brought back much of our old language, what could be remembered, and used the Dwarven we learned when it could not.  Soon, the world knew us as we are, standing staunch within the earth we cleaved with our own claws.  We faced and survived the trials and tribulations of a civilization, from learning to till the soil and water the slime molds, to building our strong llamelar armor to protect us from the goblins' vicious greed.  With claw and katar we set our place and drew our lines, and grew strong with that dedication.

But that is all the past.  Now, I will tell you a tale that is ongoing.  The founding of the newest of Mogun burrows, Bromilimul, 'Lancegolds'. 

Bromdilimul was founded in the 6th year of the Mogun, on Granite 1st.  The county which sent the expedition was The Feral Shield, named from a shield made of the hides of fallen creatures which became it's namesake.  The Wheel of Boots, so named as they favored wagons and simple walking to traverse the world before finding this site, was the name of the group who formed it.
The group of seven Mogun consisted of:
Onget Botodgub, the Leader.  She is 27, very sharp in the mind, upbeat and talkative.
Meng Nokimwedol, the miner.  He is 23 and aloof, assertive, and careful, albeit boring.
Edem Bidomlikot, the engraver.  She is 35, a very caring and compassionate maid.
Hiddom Gakizendok, the Woodworker.  She is 25, a bit of an odd one.  She's self-concious and tends to talk to trees.
Sarvesh Gecastavuz, the Mason.  He is 36, an almost infuriatingly crass fellow, but a good heart.
Bot Fikodsolam, the Tinker, who is 31 and enjoys being the center of attention and impressing others.
And lastly, Ustuth Uvarosed, 24, herbalist.  He enjoys the outdoors and nature more than people.

We have embarked on an area with a nice little brook which forms a small waterfall.  We are on the side of a gentle sloping hill, in a moderately forested area.  It seems peaceful here, and all should go well, I hope.

We have brought with us a pair of moleworms (a large pulsating blind worm we commonly eat), two turkey hens, and to pull the wagon, a mule and a water buffalo.
Our equipment consists of three copper claws (for digging), a copper axe, an iron anvil, four barrels each of rum, wine, and beer.  Various fungal seeds, four barrels of meat, three spools of thread and three bolts of cloth, two ropes, three bags, two buckets, a block of charcoal, 26 portions of anthracite coal, and of course the wagon itself.

I think our first priority will be to get a farm going.

[And stop for now to sleep.  This is a tale of my first fortress with the beta version of a new mod i'm making, with a custom race, lore, reactions, equipment, items, plants, minerals, metals, glazes, megabeasts, animals, monsters, and more!  This story will be to allow you to ask questions and provide input as I develop the lore, and to just entertain.]
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 02:27:17 am by janglur »

GalenEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mac-Man Games
Re: The Tale of Bromdilimul, "Lancegolds"
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 02:53:07 am »

Replying to watch... seems interesting :D I am just now downloading 34.02 now, myself, and already fearing the ZOMBIES!!! Good luck on not dying toooooo quickly!
Fun is Fun......Done is Done... or is that Done is !!FUN!!?
Quote from: Mr Frog
Digging's a lot like surgery, see -- you grab the sharp thing and then drive the sharp end of the sharp thing in as hard as you can and then stuff goes flying and then stuff falls out and then there's a big hole and you're done. I kinda wish there was more screaming, but rocks don't hurt so I guess it can't be helped.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 07:24:56 am »

They remind me of the mountain race from "Summoner" shortish, proud, race that uses katars (poisoned ones at that).

janglur

• Bay Watcher
  • +Blood Soup+
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 08:17:29 am »

Mogun are about 10% shorter than dwarves, and lack some of the dwarven precious technologies, but make up for it with their own ingenuity and blunt-force approach to things.

Where a dwarf would build a massive complex trap labyrinth for invaders involving magma and self-cleaning traps...
Mogun would just close the front door, if they could.
They're much more sensible than dwarves.  But also a lot more stubborn.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 07:03:01 pm »

Mogun are about 10% shorter than dwarves, and lack some of the dwarven precious technologies, but make up for it with their own ingenuity and blunt-force approach to things.

blunt-force approach to things.

dwarves

k

Souleater17

• Bay Watcher
  • [ANGEL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2012, 10:07:36 pm »

This is awesome.

Kofthefens

• Bay Watcher
  • Keep calm and OH GOD CAPYBARAS
    • View Profile
    • Marshland Games
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2012, 11:13:21 pm »

Well done back story. I look forward to more.
I don't care about your indigestion-- How are you is a greeting, not a question.

The epic of Îton Sákrith
The Chronicles of HammerBlaze
My website - Free games

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2012, 12:20:25 am »

blunt-force approach to things.

dwarves

k

There's a huge difference between "blunt" and "Dwarfy".

Blunt implies doing the simplest thing imaginable to get the job done.

Dwarfy implies finding the most complicated way to get a job done, just because they can.
Thank you everyone for the help! I've since flooded the fortress I was working on and now have a new one going up.

Kofthefens

• Bay Watcher
  • Keep calm and OH GOD CAPYBARAS
    • View Profile
    • Marshland Games
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2012, 12:41:00 am »

Yet there is some overlap. Dwarfy often involves more than enough force. Blunt also often uses force in excess.
I don't care about your indigestion-- How are you is a greeting, not a question.

The epic of Îton Sákrith
The Chronicles of HammerBlaze
My website - Free games

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2012, 01:55:10 am »

I think it is dwarfy to take the simplest, bluntest approach possible ... and doing it as complicated as you can.

The solution is simple. "Just kill it."
The process is complicated. "Research physics, build a magma piston or a large set of magma pumps fueled by a water-reactor, put time and effort into it. Prepare a grand engraved and drainable room, lock the subject in, build a viewing balcony and unleash hell."
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2012, 02:07:25 am »

posting to watch.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2012, 04:13:18 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Urist could fix this with blunt force

janglur

• Bay Watcher
  • +Blood Soup+
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2012, 04:35:53 pm »

Sorry for the sudden silence, RL has me by the throat with it's teeth and shaking.

I found a major glitch in the mod beta that necessitated fixing and re-genning a new world, so i'll re-start with the new embark.  To make it worth while I also added more new stuff.  The new content list now includes:
All the ALBM mod stuff (new minerals, metals, alloys, and glazes)
lesser and greater Vraali (new subterranean beast and megabeast respectively, and quite nasty-  but economically viable!)
Moleworms (a gross new subterranean livestock)
Cave Snails (a new livestock with industrial uses)
Flying Leeches (A new reason to fear the swamps)
Mogun Armor (A llamelar armor of fair quality, but heavy and complex to make)
Legwraps (A new leather armor for those of the odd foot)
Spaulders (A new shield)
Bracers (new gloves)
Dunand (Basically a cap with a faceguard)
Half Aprons (An alternative to breastplates for Mogun)
Claws (For digging or combat)
Katars (For fighting)
A host of new toys and games
New instruments
Other new cultural items
(partial) unique language for the Mogun
New plants (Potatos, moleroots, slime mold, and more)
Scythes (A new edged polearm)
Dungeon Masters (A few bugs, but they work!)
New jewelry
and of course,
Mogun.  A new race of anthropomorphic mole-men with ties to dwarves, but their own unique, budding culture, personality, and beliefs.  Physically and mentally different, a bit shorter, and in some ways less frustrating.  But they also lack a few things the dwarves have.  It should make them overall more balanced than playing an elf or human in fortress mode but at the same time offer a bit different play style.

Under Construction:
Even more new creatures
Culturally unique clothing
New foods
More new plants and agricultural products
New projectiles
New stones and minerals
Edible salt
New Traps

janglur

• Bay Watcher
  • +Blood Soup+
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2012, 08:56:19 pm »

Just an update, i'm nearing the first release.

To Do:

A few more toys, instruments, and cultural items.
More culturally unique clothing
New stones and minerals
Edible Salt
New traps

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2012, 03:26:52 pm »

Edible Salt

Turning rock salt into this? Would be worth a GREAT deal.
Pages: [1] 2