Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: "Orc Fortress"?  (Read 1067 times)

spelljammer

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
"Orc Fortress"?
« on: February 26, 2012, 11:00:08 pm »

So I've been looking at DF after a friend posted his silly whatsit adventures on a forum I frequent, and I'm interested to say the least.
However, I'm not at all interested in playing a developing culture of dwarves... especially not the homicidally insane, greedy, and disorganized dwarves that this game is known for.
But orcs that behave like that? Oh BABY, sign me up!
Is there a way that I can change all mention of MY dwarves to orcs and leave the CP dwarves untouched? Maybe even edit the little smiling multi-colored dwarf face to be a scowling tusked orc face? (assuming that said faces represent dwarves? I'm a little new to this...)
I'd like a step by step process if anyone knows how. Thanks!

calico103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: "Orc Fortress"?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 11:18:48 pm »

The easiest way I can think of is to modify the dwarf's raws in creature_standard.txt (found in raw/objects). You can check here for what the words in brackets (a.k.a. "tokens") mean and how to use them. This isn't exactly what you wanted--it'll change ALL the dwarves in the game to orcs--but unless one is willing to make an entirely new orc creature and entity raw, it's as close as you'll get.

The super-happy-regardless-of-whatever-dangerous-situation-I'm-in faces can be changed with tilesets. I'm completely in the dark about how to use those, however, so I'm not the best person to ask. I'm only experienced in making raws for creatures and the like. :P
This is the bomb!

And it's set to go off in fifteen seconds...

Master Catfish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 11:26:21 pm »

I believe there are orcs in the Genesis mod, and it would be pretty easy to switch them to being playable instead of dwarves.  Genesis even comes with graphics!  Here's the thread for it:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=52988.0

Mind you, I have not tested this myself, but I'd be surprised if it didn't work.

in one of the entity_x folders, you should find Dwarves.  Remove [CIV_CONTROLLABLE] from the text under Dwarves.  Then add it in under Orcs.  That makes them playable in fortress mode.  The intro text telling you to 'strike the earth' will still imply that you are playing as Dwarves, as that is hardcoded.

Otherwise, you'll need to spend some time learning the ropes and modding the game yourself.  What you're trying to do is fairly easy though.

spelljammer

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 10:42:56 am »

Wow, that was easy!
Now if I can just figure out how to build shit...
Thanks you two!

Rhazak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 11:09:21 am »

Dimosa actually made an Orc Fortress mod for genesis, but it's not updated any more:

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=52988.msg2363412#msg2363412
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=4529

But if you're ok with playing on 0.31.25 you could get it, it has some cool features and not just race change.