Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [POPULATION_CAP:10]  (Read 1457 times)

Brewster

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Engraver
    • View Profile
[POPULATION_CAP:10]
« on: February 26, 2012, 09:04:06 pm »

Set [POPULATION_CAP:10] and yet I have 18 dwarfs? 12 dwarfs came as a wave. Is there a reason for this?

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
Re: [POPULATION_CAP:10]
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 09:09:19 pm »

I heard that the first two migrant waves in Dwarf Mode is hardcoded to give you people, no matter what the history or cap.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Abregado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 09:11:12 pm »

IF POP < POPCAP THEN MIGRANT WAVE

Number of migrants in a wave is not dependant on your pop cap at all. Forts often go over 200 dorfs on the last migration

I believe this is the case

trees

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUNDANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012, 09:17:00 pm »

To make what Abregado said a little more clear:

The population cap only determines when you can no longer receive migrant waves. The size of the waves themselves is completely independent of your cap.
I am often bad at phrasing things - don't hesitate to ask for clarification if something I said doesn't make sense.

Shazbot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2012, 10:22:45 pm »

On the subject of population caps, does the pop cap affect the growth of the fortress through new pregnancies after the cap has been reached?

Rhenaya

• Bay Watcher
  • Usstan tlun natha hargluk ssinssriggin ilythiiri!
    • View Profile
    • X-Fire Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2012, 04:30:20 am »

On the subject of population caps, does the pop cap affect the growth of the fortress through new pregnancies after the cap has been reached?

there is an own entry in the init file for babies/children and newborn ratios. you wont get new pregnancies if the baby cap is already reached. though the default is some obscure 1k number to make it inpossible to reach it with even a single adult dwarf ^^

This allows you to control the number of babies+children in your fortress.  The first number is an absolute cap on the number of babies+children.  The second is a percentage of the current number of adults in your fortress (the default is the essentially meaningless 1000% here).  The lower number is used as the cap.  The cap only prevents further pregancies, so migrant children, multiple births and existing pregnancies from old saves can still push you over the cap.  Setting either number to zero will disallow pregnancies in the fortress.

[BABY_CHILD_CAP:100:1000]
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 04:34:41 am by Rhenaya »
User Profile: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/User:Rhenaya
Mods: http://dffd.wimbli.com/who.php?id=554

From "Angroshs Kinder" Das schwarze Auge Zwergenhandbuch - (Angrosh Children, the dark eye, german pen&paper, dwarven handbook):
"Elves!? Their men dont wear beards, and their women bathe nacked to lure you into the water and drown you. Thank Angrosh they are as ugly as the day and all big and skinny."