Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Your favourite Video game Towns  (Read 8915 times)

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Your favourite Video game Towns
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2012, 02:14:12 am »

Toenoe, from Phantasy Star IV.

Filled with scrap-metal heaps, haggling stalls, and the furry blue jerry-rigging Motavians. Also, the theme-song was bizarre and wonderful, and it had the Grandfather Dorin/Alys scene, which is always fun.

Roundabout Lout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2012, 02:15:03 am »

Balmora, no doubt.  Vivec city had more to do, but Balmora always felt like home.

^^This

Aptus

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed ôo
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2012, 02:21:08 am »

Newport from The Longest Journey series.
There isn't that much of the city to see, actually, just maybe a dozen locations total(TLJ are adventure games), and there isn't anything that remarkable about the city itself.
What I liked about it, was how it was shown to have changed between the two games of the series, reflecting the change in the characters. What was once a bright, carefree students' town, where young people enjoyed their youth in TLJ, turned into a darker, almost seedy place with rare inhabitants hiding behind heavy doors and surveliance cameras in TLJ2.

Oh man I wish they would get around to finishing that story, I have waited too long to see what happens to April and Zoë.

On topic though, I agree with newport, I'd also like to say:
Vivec (Morrowind): The first time I stepped into that city was just epic, it was so big and full of stuff to find.
Tarant (Arcanum): Now this was a a place that knew what it was going for, the aesthetic and feel of that city was just amazing.

TSTwizby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2012, 02:26:04 am »

I'm not really sure why, but I always really liked Twilight Town. I can think of loads of places objectively better, but I always thought it had the perfect atmosphere for its role in the game.
I got a female and male dragon on my embark. I got cagetraps on the exits but im struggling to find a way to make them path into it.
Live bait.
3 dwarfs out of 7 dead so far

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2012, 02:35:44 am »

Mega-Primus in X-Com Apocalypse. A retro-futuristic city with slums, gang warfare, segregation (androids and alien hybrids in slums), a crazy alien-worshiping cult and two questionable security companies as the leading manufacturers of arms and vehicles. For all I didn't like about X-Com Apocalypse, I loved the setting and atmosphere.

Also, Tarant in Arcanum. A large fantasy industrial revolution city, where magic is dying out in favour of technology (due to how they interfere with one another).

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2012, 02:39:16 am »

Newport from The Longest Journey series.
There isn't that much of the city to see, actually, just maybe a dozen locations total(TLJ are adventure games), and there isn't anything that remarkable about the city itself.
What I liked about it, was how it was shown to have changed between the two games of the series, reflecting the change in the characters. What was once a bright, carefree students' town, where young people enjoyed their youth in TLJ, turned into a darker, almost seedy place with rare inhabitants hiding behind heavy doors and surveliance cameras in TLJ2.
I really should go back and finish the first game. I got a few disks in and it refused to read one of them so I had to stop. This was years ago. It took me ages to get anywhere too as I always struggle with adventure games.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2012, 06:06:25 am »

Zozo and the imperial capital from ffvi. Balmora from Morrowind. Underworld from kotor.
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2012, 06:49:26 am »

Zozo. Hands down, to me, the best Town-that-is-not-a-town in any RPG.
wow never heard of it. what game???
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2012, 08:04:29 am »

I saw BurningPet made this thread and immediately my mind put a colon in the title. Your Favorite Video Game: Towns! :P

Maybe its some sort of subliminal marketing campaign!

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2012, 08:42:44 am »

I was thinking the same RexNex.
And my favorite town would be Balmora.

Alg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2012, 08:51:01 am »

I saw BurningPet made this thread and immediately my mind put a colon in the title. Your Favorite Video Game: Towns! :P

Maybe its some sort of subliminal marketing campaign!

Same here.

OT : Athkatla (BGII) of course!

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2012, 08:57:24 am »

Hehe, Although i work as a Marketing manager in my real life, that was not the intention.

I must say that it really is a sign of great design that those towns, those virtual, often lackluster places, made us feel like home. and they did not "ask" for that feeling, they gave it.

TSTwizby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2012, 01:55:56 pm »

Zozo. Hands down, to me, the best Town-that-is-not-a-town in any RPG.
wow never heard of it. what game???

It's from Final Fantasy VI.
I got a female and male dragon on my embark. I got cagetraps on the exits but im struggling to find a way to make them path into it.
Live bait.
3 dwarfs out of 7 dead so far

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2012, 02:09:06 pm »

Hm, the towns that have been mentioned from FF6 are definitely in my favorites list. New Reno, too...

I have to say that some of the towns from Star Ocean: The Second Story were great, too. My favorite was in the game's token winter area: Giveaway. Snowy university town with a very sleepy feel. And MAN, the music: (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gD5agM8lh8s). Such a haunting, chilly, and beautiful song. I loved that town just for the music and general atmosphere.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 02:14:24 pm by Lord Dullard »

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2012, 03:41:23 pm »

Hey, let's not forget Sigil from Planescape: Torment. That was one creatively done city. It felt alien-yet-familiar. Vast, despite ever seeing only some of it. Alive(also in the literal sense!) and mysterious. Which made learning about it from bits and pieces of lore scatterd or hidden about as much fun as the actual exploration itself.

Oh man I wish they would get around to finishing that story, I have waited too long to see what happens to April and Zoë.
While there is, understandably, some nagging desire in me to get to know every detail of everything ever about the universe and the characters in it, I can appreciate the two games as a sort-of complete story.
We can, for example, infer what happened to April despite never learining about the how of it. And Zoe's story has some definiteness to it as well - even if the conclusion we might draw is not an overly happy one.
Spoiler: actual spoilers (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5