Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Your favourite Video game Towns  (Read 8906 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Your favourite Video game Towns
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2012, 05:21:49 pm »

Hey, let's not forget Sigil from Planescape: Torment. That was one creatively done city. It felt alien-yet-familiar. Vast, despite ever seeing only some of it. Alive(also in the literal sense!) and mysterious. Which made learning about it from bits and pieces of lore scatterd or hidden about as much fun as the actual exploration itself.

I would have said Sigil, but I started with Planescape in PnP....so when I finally got Planescape: Torment, their vision of Sigil was conflicting with the one I'd already built in my head.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2012, 05:41:48 pm »

Im so gonna play planescape, I've heard much interesting things about it. On topic: Pretty much all the cities in assasins creed games, they all felt pretty much the same but they were pretty cool nonetheless.
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2012, 05:46:05 pm »

I've only played up to AC2, but I wouldn't say the cities are memorable. They're GORGEOUS and HUGE.....but they don't have any stand out characteristics other than the visuals. Not dogging them, I just didn't find them memorable. Plenty of fun to go through, though.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2012, 06:05:20 pm »

Exactly what I meant, I cant tell one from another but I have this image of town in AC game in my head which is like collection of few memorable features across all the towns. Those towns were large part of the games afterall so I felt they could deserve a mention.
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2012, 06:08:09 pm »

Everybody loves Zozo.  Likewise, I love Monstro Town and The Drowned Nations.  Something about RPG towns full of "people" you would normally fight or people that you have to fight.  It's adventure.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

dizzyelk

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes kittens for their delicious roasts.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2012, 07:37:49 pm »

Hmmmm, New Reno is a great choice, so's the Hub... but, then again, so's Buccaneer's Den in U7, or Skara Brae in the same game. But, truth be told, I'm gonna have to go with Spielburg in QfG1. Might not be big, might not have very many NPCS, but that little community has inspired so many little hamlets in rpgs that I've run its not funny.
Dwarf Fortress - Bringing out the evil in people since 2006.
Somehow, that fills me more with dread than anticipation.  It's like being told that someone's exhuming your favorite grandparent and they're going to try to make her into a cyborg stripper.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2012, 07:42:26 pm »

Oh man. Spielburg. Whether I know it or not, it's probably influenced half of the cities I've ever cooked up for PnP. Has the quintessential "Thieves Guild" experience, and has that sleepy backwater vibe literally drawn into every scene.

I still wonder what the deal was with the Blacksmith's shop.

Anyways, on Zozo, it was the juxtaposition that made me a fan. Town as a dungeon, full of liars who lie about lying. All the details and signs from normal FF towns are just randomly tacked on everywhere, like they're attempting to lure hapless schmucks like yourself inside. It's one of the few bad guy towns that really is just that. No "pirates with hearts of gold", no "shady merchant who is really just like every other merchant." No quests! You felt like the city had a life of its own, even though it was an SNES console game that didn't use half of the illusions people do now to create life and character. It's a testament to the power of a novel idea.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 07:53:29 pm by nenjin »

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2012, 07:48:58 pm »

Kelethin from Everquest was the first that jumps to mind.  Always fun to watch people fall to their deaths.

There's probably a better one in my head somewhere, but I can't dredge it up at the moment.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2012, 07:52:10 pm »

I was always a fan of Freeport personally. Nothing like a starting city with hostiles in it. (Although watching the Guards in Kelethin chase people to their doom off the platforms was always fun to watch.)

If we're going with zones that aren't just player hubs/hang outs....Plane of Hate was technically a city, filled with awesome. Old Sebilis and City of Mist too.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 08:58:42 pm by nenjin »

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2012, 08:24:08 pm »

Minetown (Nethack).
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2012, 11:21:00 pm »

The village in Harvest Moon I.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Pakhawaj

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2012, 01:49:51 am »

I'm glad I'm not the first to say Tarant from Arcanum. :)
I can always trust people on these forums to have good tastes!*

* tastes similar to mine

Orangebottle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2012, 02:02:27 am »

Athkatla, Targos, Fyrestone.
BGII        IWDII   Borderlands
My Sig
Quote from: The Binder of Shame: RPGnet Rants
"We're in his toilet. We're in Cthulhu's toilet."

""Hey! No breaking character while breaking character"

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2012, 02:09:26 am »

I was always a fan of Freeport personally. Nothing like a starting city with hostiles in it. (Although watching the Guards in Kelethin chase people to their doom off the platforms was always fun to watch.)

If we're going with zones that aren't just player hubs/hang outs....Plane of Hate was technically a city, filled with awesome. Old Sebilis and City of Mist too.
Honestly, Everquest was filled to the brim with memorable towns. From the canals of Cabilis to the hole of Paineel, the clockworks and waterfalls of Ak'Anon.. All of it was made even better by the fact that they were all starting cities. I really can't pick a favourite out of all of them.

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 28, 2012, 02:49:26 am »

Balmora is always memorable. I'll also cast a vote for Whiterun, as a New-Balmora. No coincidence that it's usually the first major city players see. Fairly interesting layout as well.

On the MMO side, I'll throw in a few MMO ones. Silvermoon City. Thunder Bluff. Old Orgrimmar. These are the standouts of WoW's major cities, at least for me. A lot due to memory, but the first two are quite pretty as well.
Although to be honest the other major cities aren't far behind at all. Dalaran was amazing, and Shattrath was memorable as well.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5