Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: We stand alone.  (Read 4405 times)

RogueSpear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
We stand alone.
« on: February 26, 2012, 10:41:04 am »

So I'm looking to create a world in the Age of Death (All civilizations extinct, some sentients alive) but I'm having trouble achieving this in the default game generator (Over 3 hours spent running iterations with the params Pocket World, Very Long history, Lowest Civs and Sites, High Savagery and beasts, metals everywhere has yielded no luck - despite one world where only 12 dwarves yet lived, that ended in a golden age). Does anyone have any suggestions on how to generate an Age of Death easier? I'm looking to mod the game the absolute bare minimum, preferably only using the advanced world creator, as I'm a very new player(A scant 2 forts of note to my name).
I know starting a fort with no civs (And thus no merchants or allies, but also no enemies and thus no invasions/ambushers/etc) will be difficult. As a bare minimum, I will need to survive 13 years with only 7 workable dwarves (I won't be using any of the DT hacks to allow children to work) and I can only pray I don't get any nobles, but it's a good challenge and losing is fun right?
I came up with the idea after my first post on these forums in the Weatherwires thread where I foolishly and very tiredly decided to build a megaproject of a massive coil of steel barbed wire 42 z levels in height and width in The Circus (I shall wait many years before attempting that - we will prepare, and we will be ready...) in tribute, and since all Dwarves had died, would an Age of Death not make a suitable environment?

For now the plan is to:
A) Generate an Age of Death world with a low - medium savagery
B) Strike the Earth and survive long enough to successfully claim to have restored the Dwarven race.
C) Breach the circus and begin the monument.

I do have a few experienced Dorfers to refer to for Johnny-on-the-spot help and design (Though any and all advice here will be welcomed) during the lifetime of the fortress, but I need to set up the world first. I'll try and keep this thread up to date with how the fort gets on - assuming it doesn't immediately fall.

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
Re: We stand alone.
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 10:52:43 am »

Best way to go would be to do that, then go into adventure mode, kill off a few kings, and slowly bring about the end yourself.
This is a very dorfy thread, and you WILL read it.

RogueSpear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 11:04:34 am »

From what I can tell from researching, killing everything yourself brings about an Age of Emptiness, which is not respected in Fort mode and new migrants, caravans etc will spawn.

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012, 11:06:03 am »

aw...boring. Sorry, then, no idea.
This is a very dorfy thread, and you WILL read it.

RogueSpear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2012, 11:12:45 am »

Cheers for the help anyway mate! You might be on to something with killing just the kings though...I'd need to find out what causes a civ to fall. At the moment I'm looking through legends mode on the world with a scant 12 historical figures that ended in a golden age.
From what I can tell, a fortress sent out two expeditions to create new outposts, and was then assaulted by a Dragon and a Bronze Colossus. One outpost set up, began constructions, and ran into a Hydra (Legends has a dwarf being killed by one) and the other is doing fine EDIT: Or at least uneventful, best I can tell.
The home fort was nearly annihilated by the Dragon, before being slain by 'Reg Romladodok' - a 13 year old child. I won't swear to it (I have no idea what I'm doing in legends mode) but I think he may be the last dwarf of the Fort - he's been made King. One of the last entries in the legends mode is the colossus striking down a pet dog. I can't find Reg's wounds (if any) but I'm hoping when I eventually start a fort/adventure here that he immediately kills it and continues as King of his empty fort...
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 11:14:57 am by RogueSpear »

WaffleEggnog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2012, 11:17:41 am »

In advanced world gen, you can make the whole world emty if you want. Another thing is you should put high civs, and high sites, as having many civs so close together is bound to spark something.

Also, make elves.

-Civs chop tress
-Elves get pissed and charge
-Elves get owned
-Age pf Death
WHEN POSSIBLE, I PREFER TO CONSUME YOUR FACE.

Hotaru

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange foreigner fond of industry
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2012, 11:58:38 am »

I can see your problem.

I thought at first it would be simple: give elves, dwarves, humans, goblins and kobolds everyone [MAXAGE:1:2]. However, even if you do that, the people will somehow reproduce with the babies and sustain a population.

So then I thought, let's make them go the way of the kobold. I removed the ability to farm and use animal products from everyone and made everyone need food. Still they survive with a population of about 20 in a pocket world. The cockroaches... so, I make them [STERILE], but even STERILE, STARVING BABIES WITH NOTHING TO EAT will reproduce enough to live thousands of years (as a civilization). I don't know what to make of it. They will also build tombs, literally cover the world's surface with tombs.

Well, at least that way you will be able to get the twilight age consistently. And lots and lots of tombs. Yes, I checked, they're still alive in the year 2522. Everyone else is dead but there's still one human town of one-year-olds dying of hunger. Like there has been for a millennium.

Edit: before anyone points it out, yes - all supernatural elements were turned off.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 12:09:49 pm by Hotaru »
It is said knowledge is like a foul-smelling herb. It must be cooked well and thoroughly with experience to make it palatable. A young scholar's knowledge is therefore not only worthless but disgusting. -- In Dwarf Fortress you have another paradigm. Gather as much of that smelly herb as you can and toss it at your enemy, fracturing his skull through the +capybara man leather cap+.

Dalkar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2012, 12:24:01 pm »

Add a load of Titans/megabeasts and they'll finish off any starving survivors.

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2012, 12:24:17 pm »

How do you check the number of each civ left, I never found out... :S
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

Hotaru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2012, 12:50:07 pm »

Add a load of Titans/megabeasts and they'll finish off any starving survivors.

Well, what do you know. Creating a Human Extermination Squad of 100 titans with no requirements before attacking, to contain this insane will of humanoid beings to survive, actually worked - everyone's dead. The last human died at the age of 1 in 105.

However, it also left the world stuck in the age of myth permanently. Things that wouldn't like semimegabeasts or bogeymen don't seem to kill everyone off, on the other hand. One civilization of something always survives. I wonder if culling historical figures has to do with it, so I'll try it without but not holding breath. (it doesn't seem to change anything)

Interestingly another last resort attempt to exterminate humanity and all humanoid beings, namely making everyone aquatic and not have a starting place except for the dwarves who got to keep their mountains, resulted in starving human babies living in dwarf fortresses. Of three gone dwarf civilizations, no less. They promptly air-drowned as soon as I adventured, of course.

How do you check the number of each civ left, I never found out... :S

Legends.
It is said knowledge is like a foul-smelling herb. It must be cooked well and thoroughly with experience to make it palatable. A young scholar's knowledge is therefore not only worthless but disgusting. -- In Dwarf Fortress you have another paradigm. Gather as much of that smelly herb as you can and toss it at your enemy, fracturing his skull through the +capybara man leather cap+.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2012, 12:59:49 pm »

Just remove one the male or the female castes of every civ. This should greatly increase your chances.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Hotaru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2012, 01:41:46 pm »

Just remove one the male or the female castes of every civ. This should greatly increase your chances.

How to do that? Seemed to lead to civilizations not being placeable.

I'm starting to think maybe some hotfix Toady has made has lead to civilizations simply being unkillable. This is because I set starting population to 1, maximum population to 1 and sites to 1 and they just ignored all that and lived.

On the other hand, in .31.25, doing the above schemes quickly lead to a world where every civilized being was dead and a 10000-year history consisted of various named animals settling in long-dead sites. When you embarked, it gave you dwarves who were "born today, which makes [him/her] very young indeed".

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2012, 01:50:10 pm »

Yeah, I know it's in Legends, I have no idea where...
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

Hotaru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2012, 02:21:52 pm »

Can count them from historical figures.

Orky_Boss

• Bay Watcher
  • Why not?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2012, 02:59:48 pm »

Well, according to the wiki, if this happens in only the world generation, then you'll only be able to use adventure mode and legends. Also, you only have to try to kill key figures. Remember, this is the end of civilization, not the end of sentient beings. Also, does sapient count? Sentience is the ability to percieve the world through the senses, while sapience is just high intelligence.
Shit! He's flatlining! Quick, get the Doctor in!

Doctor: Nah, I'm on break.
Pages: [1] 2