Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: injuries & bleeding  (Read 1540 times)

quarague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
injuries & bleeding
« on: February 26, 2012, 09:43:54 am »

is there a way to bandage bleeding wounds? or do you have to just wait until it stoops naturally, with the amount of detail in combat that would seem rather strange

this is more general combat strategy but how do you reduced the risk of chopped of limbs in combat? I just had a dingo (ie a dog of some kind) bite of my left foot through a +iron low boot+
it seems combat works in a way where the first side that suffers an injury worse than bruising looses and even if you manage to run away afterwards you will be permanently crippled in a way that means you can't really fight again
it is kind of sad if that is all it comes done to with all the sophistication in the game
More importantly, ... , making the project pointlessly difficult and requiring greatly overcomplicated means to set up  ...
from Sphalerite

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: injuries & bleeding
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 09:47:37 am »

There is exactly one medical procedure for wounds available..
you can activate it via Shift + t

Chilton

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok Cultist - Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 09:49:46 am »

Dude.
1: DF is barely in ALPHA.
2: The Injury System itself is still a Work in Progress.
3: Id like to see You stop fighting and put Bandages on in a Real Fight. Its Realistic not to. After the fight, sure. If You have the time by then. In Fortress Mode, You first need to get to the Hospital, then its Stitched/Sutured/Splinted/Washed/Whatever. Thats optimal for Realism and Depth. Now just make it either a Medical Companion or a Town.
4: Adventure Mode was only recently brought up to par from a Skeleton State.
5: Medical Practice in Adventure Mode will be in a Future Update.
6: To be fair, the Bleeding stops really quickly.
I Like To Think Of Myself As An Artist - I Create Masterpieces With My Tools Of Trade.

lionstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012, 09:54:16 am »

Well the game is far from done >:I

And in adventure mode, there is no way to heal/bandage yourself other than sleeping/travelling (If the damage is even repairable)
and it is very easy to be crippled due to nerve damage and sometimes it seems like broken/shattered bones never heal.
Crutches are an option if you can't walk, I don't know if splints have any use in adventure mode. Also the strength/toughness attributes can make it more difficult for enemies to cripple you. Observer can help you dodge bolts/arrows. Not sure if the recuperation attribute actually helps with otherwise crippling injuries.

Lexyvil

• Bay Watcher
  • Serenading the folk.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2012, 10:30:50 am »

So far as I know, major wounds are permanent, although there is a way to walk again if you're missing a leg, that is to equip a crutch.
By fast travelling (Shift+T), it will heal minor injuries such as bruises.
The game is still far from being done, but supposedly someday the health system will be more realistic
My post ends here.

ff2

• Bay Watcher
  • The Occasional Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2012, 10:41:33 am »

You can also be bitten by a werebeast and when the full moon comes your injurys  automatically heal.

Intro1827

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2012, 11:27:03 am »

If you have cloth, you can use shift+i to bandage your wounds, or so I heard.
In mid air, the dwarf continued to take hits from both the minecart and his own falling axe.

Xotano

• Bay Watcher
  • Elite Head Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2012, 11:49:39 am »

If you have cloth, you can use shift+i to bandage your wounds, or so I heard.
orly? sounds like you got lied to.
"Engraved on the wall is a masterful depiction of a human by Logrin.  The artwork relates to Xotano Beastblood The Everseeing Dwelling of Clouds the human vampire recruiting some new human shields companions after his encounter with Ral Firewealthy the Warm Flicker the dragon, during which his face was melted off."

300 human/elf/dwarf/goblin/kobold bodies 20 random animal/fish/bird bodies and 3 dragon bodies all in one backpack. fun stuff.

kulik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2012, 03:22:42 pm »

Combat in the latest version is far more deadly than it was before. A chopped off limb is an instant death in couple of seconds. And having armour without armour skill is nearly useless against armed opponents. A kobold with coper short sword will cut easily through your iron breast plate if you lacking skill in armour use. On top of that it seams to me that the penalty from wounds raised as well, in older versions it happen frequently that i was stabbed, cut and bruised and still managed to fight or at least hoped for a lucky strike that sometimes occurred.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2012, 03:38:43 pm »

Combat in the latest version is far more deadly than it was before. A chopped off limb is an instant death in couple of seconds. And having armour without armour skill is nearly useless against armed opponents. A kobold with coper short sword will cut easily through your iron breast plate if you lacking skill in armour use. On top of that it seams to me that the penalty from wounds raised as well, in older versions it happen frequently that i was stabbed, cut and bruised and still managed to fight or at least hoped for a lucky strike that sometimes occurred.

I don't know if that is actually the case- I don't remember toady's logs about making combat harder.

I think you are getting that impression because in this update, you are actually fighting a lot more and fighting harder enemies.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

TheLinguist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2012, 04:14:35 pm »

I think you are getting that impression because in this update, you are actually fighting a lot more and fighting harder enemies.

I, personally, have also noticed that some of the enemies are tougher. There seem to be a lot more elite bandits, for instance, which are pretty scary, particularly when they get the drop on you. And at least to me, things seem to be exacerbated by the overabundance of werebeasts, and the lack of night trolls and bandit camps - not only am I regularly being sent to fight warlords now, who have high skills and good equipment, but I don't even get the training that a nice bandit camp or night troll used to provide me!

And yes, I realize the catacombs would work for training, too, but they're laggy and large, which I don't find to be a fun combination.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2012, 04:37:00 pm »

You can also be bitten by a werebeast and when the full moon comes your injurys  automatically heal.

They don't just heal, lost limbs grow back.

Also wounds don't permanently affect you unless it's motor nerve damage, chipped/broken bones or a lost limb. These are adventure ending wounds, and signify a good time to retire.

quarague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2012, 05:40:35 pm »

Also wounds don't permanently affect you unless it's motor nerve damage, chipped/broken bones or a lost limb. These are adventure ending wounds, and signify a good time to retire.

which is how I play, too. It just means that the average adventurer is only active for about a week or two of game time (when I play and without using serious training exploits like slaying a whole village of peasants). You can get a decent set of armor and a lot of wealth in that time but your skills barely improve. I guess this will get more balanced in further updates.
More importantly, ... , making the project pointlessly difficult and requiring greatly overcomplicated means to set up  ...
from Sphalerite

NonconsensualSurgery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2012, 10:27:05 pm »

which is how I play, too. It just means that the average adventurer is only active for about a week or two of game time (when I play and without using serious training exploits like slaying a whole village of peasants). You can get a decent set of armor and a lot of wealth in that time but your skills barely improve. I guess this will get more balanced in further updates.

The nice thing about the game is you can balance it yourself. Body transformation syndromes cure nerve damage; turn yourself into a flesh ball for eight hours. The pain sensitivity of bone is just a number in the raws and many people decrease it slightly while increasing the sensitivity of their meaty parts.

There's all kinds of good stuff over in the modding forum, particularly the spellbook interaction repository. Salt and pepper to taste.
Never had a bat massacre people with an axe before.
EDIT2: Oh god, the bat has got a title now.

Chilton

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok Cultist - Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2012, 10:36:07 pm »

The nice thing about the game is you can balance it yourself. Body transformation syndromes cure nerve damage; turn yourself into a flesh ball for eight hours. The pain sensitivity of bone is just a number in the raws and many people decrease it slightly while increasing the sensitivity of their meaty parts.

There's all kinds of good stuff over in the modding forum, particularly the spellbook interaction repository. Salt and pepper to taste.
Non. Consentual. Surgery.

I love that name!

On Topic;
You can also transmute body parts!
I Like To Think Of Myself As An Artist - I Create Masterpieces With My Tools Of Trade.