Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wait for Next Version, Use current (.40.24,) or use older release (.34.11?)

Wait for the next release. I want usable mugs damn it!
- 55 (71.4%)
We can use the current one. I like the big trees and slightly smarter dorfs.
- 17 (22.1%)
I'll take .34.11 thanks. I want to know I'll get to kill things for sure.
- 5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 776 777 [778] 779 780 ... 815

Author Topic: [34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move  (Read 2258970 times)

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
Re: [34.11] Spearbreakers - Prepping for reboot, now testing mods.
« Reply #11655 on: December 28, 2015, 07:09:04 pm »

Heck yes!
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #11656 on: December 28, 2015, 07:20:00 pm »

I'm honestly not seeing why the undead needed nerfing, though? :V  My current fortress is in an evil biome with zombies and they haven't posed too much of a problem (although admittedly the zombies seem to only be there due to some kind of bug with regional interactions, and there does not appear to actually be a reanimating effect on the region). Ah well, it's a thing now regardless.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11657 on: December 28, 2015, 07:33:29 pm »

The problem was that a single deer or weasel could wipe out a somewhat experienced militia. In evil embarks or forts that rely on soldiery to fight its battles over machines, something like a deer killing an experienced, armed, and at least partially armored force is a sign something while amusing, went horribly wrong.

Of course we'll also have zombie elephant people to contend with, but still.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11658 on: December 28, 2015, 07:36:59 pm »

The problem was that a single deer or weasel could wipe out a somewhat experienced militia. In evil embarks or forts that rely on soldiery to fight its battles over machines, something like a deer killing an experienced, armed, and at least partially armored force is a sign something while amusing, went horribly wrong.

Of course we'll also have zombie elephant people to contend with, but still.

My militia was garbage and suited entirely in copper, though..? Meh, I probably just got lucky, plus I didn't have to deal with the damn things resurrecting constantly. Lol.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11659 on: December 28, 2015, 07:41:28 pm »

Just out of curiousity, is said fort before, or after the combat rewrite that made undead stupidly OP? More so than before v40 I mean.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11660 on: December 28, 2015, 08:00:39 pm »

Just out of curiousity, is said fort before, or after the combat rewrite that made undead stupidly OP? More so than before v40 I mean.

Current release (or semi-current, haven't bothered updating to .04). It looks like the new version fixed the performance problems I was getting significantly -- I was getting ~160FPS on embark, although that went down a bit once it started raining poisonous gunk and a lot once I decided to empty the ocean into a cavern layer for shiggles :V  Having lots of trees still causes things to slow down a lot, unfortunately.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11661 on: December 28, 2015, 10:13:21 pm »

Current release (or semi-current, haven't bothered updating to .04). It looks like the new version fixed the performance problems I was getting significantly -- I was getting ~160FPS on embark, although that went down a bit once it started raining poisonous gunk and a lot once I decided to empty the ocean into a cavern layer for shiggles :V  Having lots of trees still causes things to slow down a lot, unfortunately.

Ahhh, that gunk probably sorts them out in some manner. Dunno about blisters, but if said toxic gunk bruises at all, then it probably pelts the zombies to death.

If not, then you sir are just obscenely lucky and have a rather potent automated murder machine.

As to the trees... Well, DFHack will update, sooner or later. That map clean function's  gonna be almost mandatory to use late on...

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #11662 on: December 28, 2015, 10:42:19 pm »

Slice all them trees and then quantum-stockpile their wood.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11663 on: December 28, 2015, 11:27:54 pm »

Just out of curiousity, is said fort before, or after the combat rewrite that made undead stupidly OP?

According to the devlog, stupidly OP undead shouldn't be a problem in the next bugfix release.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11664 on: December 29, 2015, 12:34:59 am »

Colonial Report 1-1: Spring.

Overseer's note: For the inclusion of these documents in royal archives, I have added a proper introduction of sorts to this endeavor. Should the reports cease, assume the worst.

I and my associates have been chosen by royal lottery to establish a new home for our people. For what purpose, I know not, but I can assume our maps all pointing to the ancient volcano in The Unswerving Crest is no accident. There is no running water, but we can at least access the edge of the woodlands. The volcano, I'm told, is called The Furnace of Seducing, though most refer to it by its more proper (in my opinion,) title of simply "The Furnace." The Crest is a wild place, unclaimed by dwarf. This is likely why we are being sent here: The only source of open magma on the island, and none have lain claim? We shall rectify that.

There are, at present, seven of us in all.

Impenitrable - Miner. Likes music, particularly some sort of harsh music involving heavy use of drums and metal-stringed instruments. His songs are incomprehensible.
BorderHopper - Metalworker. Likely selected due to our location.
Fischer - A woman possessed of immense bravery and a distressingly calm demeanor. Never seen her insult... Anyone, actually. Acting Colonel of our "militia," and professes skill as a swordsdwarf. She says she was named after a heroine from a few centuries ago.
Haze - Jumpy and talkative. She has been trusted with braving the forest's edge.
Jenken - A coward of a woman, but fairly strong and possessed of solid endurance. She was selected for her skill as a miner.
Skytoucher - A third miner. Considering the mountainous terrain, I deem her a good choice.
Myself, Splint - Overseer of Colony. Mason and engineer. I am also to act as trade negotiator.

The new home is to be called "Fightcrafts," and our group "The Kindled Blades," according to the papers given me. Hmm.

Anyway, we arrived just after the new year by Haze's reckoning. We are digging in now.

-

First week's labor has netted us a hole in the mountain. Fairly typical, but I hope it will grow into a bastion our people can be proud of. The giant mosquito buzzing around has me a tad concerned though.

Finally managed to start testing the mod. Elves are corpses. Mountain is savage. Spawn closest neighbors. Death: likely by third year. Also got a dwarf that reminded me of Fischer: Incredibly calm, foolishly brave, somewhat cruel, and comfortable around others different from herself ("Elf? Goblin? Feh, all the same if they're on my side.") James is left by the wayside.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11665 on: December 29, 2015, 12:38:46 am »

Yessssssssss.

It begins!

Ia!  Ia!  Spearbreakers II ftaghn!
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #11666 on: December 29, 2015, 01:12:26 am »

I think this is just Splint testing the mod before beginning a proper fort, but I could be wrong, or this could turn out amazing.
Muh FG--OOC Thread

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11667 on: December 29, 2015, 01:14:11 am »

It's already amazing.  We have someone channelling The Fischer.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Propman

• Bay Watcher
  • Eh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11668 on: December 29, 2015, 02:23:36 am »

Latest update on nanites: I've reached a roadblock and am not sure how to overcome it: getting the dwarves to actually use the bloody stuff.

As it stands, nanite paste is either extracted from nanites and held in glass containers (drink) or contained in capsule-like units (pill food) constructed from schematics, and is stored along with the rest of it sans using a custom stockpile. Now, the best method I've come up with to make sure a peasant doesn't acidentially consume the stuff is to use a burrow, but while restricting it is one thing, getting the dwarf you want converted, especially if they're crippled, to actually eat the stuff is another. In my current test fort where I've cheapened the requirement to make it, locking a dwarf in for a couple months has not caused him to eat it yet.

Hopefully, once he's starving, he'll actually consider eating that metal mixture! Otherwise, the basic jackborg conversion interaction is going on without a hitch.

Edit: Oh wait, the mod test is starting? Give me a couple days to compile this mess into proper RAWs and I'll ship it to ya ASAP!
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 02:31:54 am by Propman »
Quote from: from Pathos on April 07, 2010, 08:29:05 pm »
( It was inevitable, really. )

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #11669 on: December 29, 2015, 04:20:44 am »

There are a couple of concurrent tests.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Pages: 1 ... 776 777 [778] 779 780 ... 815