Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wait for Next Version, Use current (.40.24,) or use older release (.34.11?)

Wait for the next release. I want usable mugs damn it!
- 55 (71.4%)
We can use the current one. I like the big trees and slightly smarter dorfs.
- 17 (22.1%)
I'll take .34.11 thanks. I want to know I'll get to kill things for sure.
- 5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 769 770 [771] 772 773 ... 815

Author Topic: [34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move  (Read 2259168 times)

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile

Have you guys still not restarted? XD
We're about to.
Welcome back!
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile

Incidentally, I have been unfortunate enough to deal with the undead this update, and they seem just as terminator-like as always.

On that topic, Splint and myself were discussing a way of adding a shotgun-like weapon into the game, which I feel would be a good way of dealing with zombies. Basically a large-contact-area blunt projectile, textured to like throwing sand in really old versions when projectiles rendered in advmode. The range/spread shouldn't be too much of an issue, since within fifty feet or so, shotguns are still quite effective, and haven't spread out enough to account for more than one tile.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Railguns fills these specifications, I gave railgun slugs attack a large contact area blunt attack.

Given what you just said, I understand that you would like a cheap weapon functioning like this.
Unfortunately, large contact area blunt attacks are near useless without enough velocity (shoot force in the case of ranged weapons).
And giving the sufficient shootforce to a cheap weapon of that type would render railguns totally useless, and that cheap weapon would become too powerful for its low cost.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile

Not everything is completely done, I think the nanite paste thingy is left to do. Frog finished the spawns quickly, but he can't post it yet because of the surprises added.

Though it would be nice to have a centralized file to begin testing ! :)

I've just been holding off on posting them since I know, from repeated experience, that if we jump the gun and start posting raws too early they'll just end up getting buried by posts/misplaced on hard drives and lost in the interim. I'm pretty sure this is actually the third time we've made a SB2 mod package; only the toads know where the others went :V
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile

Actually this is the furthest we got. All that was done for sure before were some attempts at adding spawn variations and a minor redesign of the onol-kor/mountain barbarians.

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Third time ? That's pretty terrifying :/

Who should be in charge of centralizing all raws then ? Splint or someone from the modding crew ? ("modding crew". I like how that sounds)

Ninja Splint : oh, that's actually reassuring. If it had been 3 previous times of this scale, I would have been quite worried.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile

Third time ? That's pretty terrifying :/

Who should be in charge of centralizing all raws then ? Splint or someone from the modding crew ? ("modding crew". I like how that sounds)

Ninja Splint : oh, that's actually reassuring. If it had been 3 previous times of this scale, I would have been quite worried.

Normally I'd say that I should gather all the raws up, since I'm the one with the SPECIALSURPRISE and all, but I don't think I'd be much good for testing due to my continued incompetence with the military (my current fort is protected by a massive drowning trap and little else :V)  I suppose I could PM you and Splint (and anyone else who asks I guess) the complete Spawn raws.

E: I will still happily take all the raws for safekeeping, though.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile

Railguns fills these specifications, I gave railgun slugs attack a large contact area blunt attack.

Given what you just said, I understand that you would like a cheap weapon functioning like this.
Unfortunately, large contact area blunt attacks are near useless without enough velocity (shoot force in the case of ranged weapons).
And giving the sufficient shootforce to a cheap weapon of that type would render railguns totally useless, and that cheap weapon would become too powerful for its low cost.

On the one hand, that's quite the opposite of what railguns are for. On the other, the idea of a railgun firing giant hollow-point slugs is fairly amazing.

Muh FG--OOC Thread
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile

The first one is kinda what I imagined our "home-made" ones look like, though with a more crossbow-looking stock/trigger and a backpack power supply (for the record, capacitors don't make energy, they store it.)

The bottom pic is more the corporation battlesuits cranked up a tad.

Speaking of which, battlesuits are for intents and purposes power armor, so it'd be wise to rename any battlesuit stuff to combat armor, since without DFHack witchery we can't make proper Parasol/Ballpoint Battlesuits.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile

Someday hopefully we will.

In Spearbreakers 20, perhaps.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

On the one hand, that's quite the opposite of what railguns are for. On the other, the idea of a railgun firing giant hollow-point slugs is fairly amazing.

The reason why I gave a large contact area to railguns is to "simulate" the immense kinetic power of the railgun slug. Giving a small contact-area blunt attack to railgun slugs will result in shots being unable to crush or explode bodyparts, instead only being able to chip bone or tear the brain. Tearing the brain will be the only way to kill something, so NO_THOUGHT creatures would become impervious to railgun in that case.

It was total crap, worse than crossbows as it wouldn't generate lot of bleeding. :/
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 11:37:19 pm by Nakéen »

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Woops, wrong button.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile

It would appear Toady has yet to implement the effects of hypervelocity weapons properly.

Of course, I really do like the idea that we're using fat hollow-points in our railguns instead of antimateriel sabots, since we won't have much use for the latter.
Muh FG--OOC Thread

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile

Can we discuss the fact that the last railgun image had casings ejecting?

I mean, what are they? Single-use capacitors? Disposable heatsinks? Both? Propellant based boosters?
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Propman

• Bay Watcher
  • Eh.
    • View Profile

Apologies for the glacial pace that the cybernetics is going: not only am I bogged down in RL stuff, but I'm having troubles testing the nanites cause' you know, you can't just plop them into an arena, and doing things the fort way is a bit tedious without DFhack. Also looking at all of the metals Nak added in and seeing if I can intigrate them or not into the plans of the jackborgs, or whether it's needed.
Quote from: from Pathos on April 07, 2010, 08:29:05 pm »
( It was inevitable, really. )
Pages: 1 ... 769 770 [771] 772 773 ... 815