Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wait for Next Version, Use current (.40.24,) or use older release (.34.11?)

Wait for the next release. I want usable mugs damn it!
- 55 (71.4%)
We can use the current one. I like the big trees and slightly smarter dorfs.
- 17 (22.1%)
I'll take .34.11 thanks. I want to know I'll get to kill things for sure.
- 5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 759 760 [761] 762 763 ... 815

Author Topic: [34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move  (Read 2259160 times)

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile

Disappointing, I'd very much have liked to see some of that sort of thing in action.  Ah well, ludicrously heavy, high-powered weapons, HO.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile

(Bit off-topic) I remember Splint mentioning Jackborgs. Do we have raws for those yet? Are they updated to the new version? And most importantly what are they because I remember literally nothing about this fort
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile

Jack Magnus kept dying constantly and Drakonic_Sankis, being the helpful fellow he was, kept bringing him back to life with various mechanical bits, including reinforced bones, built in waterwings, and presumably some sort of robot eyes.

We were going to extrapolate that as a caste and possibly a "pet" found in mountainous and forested areas, these wild jackborgs being equipped with built-in weapons and running amok as brigands and such, or acting as auxiliary infantry for armies based out of areas close to these places.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Jack Magnus kept dying constantly and Drakonic_Sankis, being the helpful fellow he was, kept bringing him back to life with various mechanical bits, including reinforced bones, built in waterwings, and presumably some sort of robot eyes.

We were going to extrapolate that as a caste and possibly a "pet" found in mountainous and forested areas, these wild jackborgs being equipped with built-in weapons and running amok as brigands and such, or acting as auxiliary infantry for armies based out of areas close to these places.

So do we have raws for them yet? Is my main question.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think at one time we did but they were lost or something. I don't remember.

I was figuring since we're probably going full sequel now, a means to turn soldiers into fearless, drowning-immune (Drakonic had installed counter drowning measures as Jack died once by pond drowning,) and hard-to-kill Jackborgs would be a neat thing, their main offset being cost of production preventing you from making an entire army of them overnight (as you need various parts plus a uranium energy core to power these non-biological bits - probably necessitating most of a season or more of labor from four or five dudes to get all the shit to make one jackborg.)

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think at one time we did but they were lost or something. I don't remember.

I was figuring since we're probably going full sequel now, a means to turn soldiers into fearless, drowning-immune (Drakonic had installed counter drowning measures as Jack died once by pond drowning,) and hard-to-kill Jackborgs would be a neat thing, their main offset being cost of production preventing you from making an entire army of them overnight (as you need various parts plus a uranium energy core to power these non-biological bits - probably necessitating most of a season or more of labor from four or five dudes to get all the shit to make one jackborg.)

I might be able to squodgle something up on that front, although I have no real idea how to implement such a thing short of a reaction that produces a transforming cloud (which work extremely unreliably in my experience). But it's basically a mechanically-souped-up dwarf, is what I'm getting here? That sounds fairly-doable.

E: To be clear, I'm not yet saying I'm going to put them in. I'm not 100% sure I can make it work and I try not to make promises I may not be able to come through on.

E2: Also, to be clear: @Splint is there anything left that you want to have in but that we haven't finished/queue'd up yet?
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 03:14:59 am by Mr Frog »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Transformation works, just a bit finicky. I find that the transformation syndrome method for it works decently when the unit is pastured or otherwise locked into the place somehow.

As to new additions... Nothing springs to mind at present.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Transformation works, just a bit finicky. I find that the transformation syndrome method for it works decently when the unit is pastured or otherwise locked into the place somehow.

As to new additions... Nothing springs to mind at present.

It's a bit silly, but it occurs to me that attaching the syndrome to a material which is then consumed in the form of either a meal (nanobot capsule?) or beverage (nanobot paste?) would be extremely-reliable in terms of whether the reaction will result in a transformation (in my experience, syndrome clouds from reactions have a lowish chance of actually triggering the syndrome), although getting the right dwarves to eat it would be a royal pain in the ass.

Are the onol-kor(?) upgraded to 42x yet?

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile

Nah, lock the dwarf in a room and drop it on them.  Not literally.
You'd want to quarantine the dwarf anyway to avoid a suddenly everything is Jackborgs.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Nah, lock the dwarf in a room and drop it on them.  Not literally.
You'd want to quarantine the dwarf anyway to avoid a suddenly everything is Jackborgs.

The transformation need not be contagious, although you may later regret giving me the idea.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile

... Aw carp.

But yeah, just ensure that they're the only one to have access to the food.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The onol-kor are not yet updated, but would't be hard as i really don't need to do too much, just copy-paste humans, modify their skin colors and facial hair some, add on fearlessness and inability to be raised as zombies, and boom. Taken care of.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The onol-kor are not yet updated, but would't be hard as i really don't need to do too much, just copy-paste humans, modify their skin colors and facial hair some, add on fearlessness and inability to be raised as zombies, and boom. Taken care of.

Maybe add a general poison immunity (i.e. simply remove CREATURE_CLASS:GENERAL_POISON) and put in a semi-rare 'witch' caste that can cast curses on people or something. I'm worried they'll feel too vanilla compared to the other enemies we have in here.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile

I'd like to suggest that, while we're going to both use a different thread for the next game, and wait for more bugfixes before starting, we begin a test fort, or series of test forts, to make sure the mods are actually entirely functional. We don't want another generation of too-easy Spawn, or learn too late that none of our modded weapons actually work fifty percent of the time and get recked by the first Megaspawn.

Also, courtesy link to the discord chat since there isn't one on this page:

We've created a Discord channel to discuss things! Feel free to join! https://discord.gg/0g2sUaS4K5R68cpr
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'd like to suggest that, while we're going to both use a different thread for the next game, and wait for more bugfixes before starting, we begin a test fort, or series of test forts, to make sure the mods are actually entirely functional. We don't want another generation of too-easy Spawn, or learn too late that none of our modded weapons actually work fifty percent of the time and get recked by the first Megaspawn.

Would you believe that I actually did playtest the Spawn before Spearbreakers, except that I didn't realise at the time that I was extremely-incompetent at military management and so assumed the large number of casualties I suffered would be reproduced in the fort itself (spoiler alert: it was not).

Although, I believe Splint retested the Spawn with the new pulping system and they are quite nasty now that I removed their weakness to decapitation.

Thanks for the courtesy link, btw.

Still, I second the suggestion of starting up test forts once everything's all modded up and using this thread as a place to share our experiences.

E: Also anyone who volunteers to test the mods should be credited in the sequel's OP, obviously.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 08:10:19 pm by Mr Frog »

Pages: 1 ... 759 760 [761] 762 763 ... 815