Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wait for Next Version, Use current (.40.24,) or use older release (.34.11?)

Wait for the next release. I want usable mugs damn it!
- 55 (71.4%)
We can use the current one. I like the big trees and slightly smarter dorfs.
- 17 (22.1%)
I'll take .34.11 thanks. I want to know I'll get to kill things for sure.
- 5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 744 745 [746] 747 748 ... 815

Author Topic: [34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move  (Read 2259291 times)

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile

So Parasol is essentially a GLaDOS-less Aperture Science?

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile

Yup.
Except they don't have Cave Johnson's ...strange... design choices behind their forces.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G

I always thought Umbrella Corp, seeing as parasol = umbrella.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile

I think that's what it originally, was (dwarfy parody of the most cartoonishly evil megacorp ever,) but all I saw of them in Syrupleaf was that they were having issues with making magma-proof parasols keep thier users alive, and that the guy assigned to Syrupleaf wasn't the most sane fellow, even by dwarf standards (implying they sent him there to keep him away from anything important.) They may have also been studying the spawn and many other races for sciencey reasons, but I'll have to continue my re-read of it to actually know for sure.

Y'know, it's kinda saddening that desolate frozen hells like that can't really be the norm anymore with the way armies work now...

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile

Well, which would be most likely to punch a hole in a new universe/create one?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Erm, is that a trick question? Cause all three do that on a regular basis. Especially Eris with all of Joseph's little safehouse dimensions that I had to concoct a very contrived reason for him to not be able to get to - over-confidence, Ballpoint assistance, his in-dimension portals, both mega and not, getting data-jacked before the technician supposed to wipe them could do so (Personal one by OG!Mr Frog taking out the techie, megaportal because attacking army was killing anyone with the misfortune of not wearing a Stone, SRA, or Ballpoint uniform,) and routine maintenance of the portal network hooking all of the safehouses together - for him to be killed.

And put forward a retcon to make him that sort of arrogant prick that doesn't seem like it to anyone but himself, and sometime even he forgets he's just some hyper-confident/charismatic/paranoid shithead who can get fucked by Lady Luck's sand-paper wrapped dildo just as hard and bloodily as anyone else, just to allow for the above to even work.

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile

Let me rephrase the question then: Splint as the organizer and guardian of the Spearbreakers canon, which of the secret evil megacorps with pandimensional operations would you like to craft the New Everoc?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

None of them. That's like asking if I want to be beaten with a splintery oar, a cricket bat with a nail in it, or a 2x4 with a hole in the top full of angry blood gnats. It'd suck no matter what.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile

None of them. That's like asking if I want to be beaten with a splintery oar, a cricket bat with a nail in it, or a 2x4 with a hole in the top full of angry blood gnats. It'd suck no matter what.
Yup.
I thought this was just...Fast-forward time a bit, you know?  So Everoc is still Everoc but in the future.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile

I think that was the plan.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yup.
I thought this was just...Fast-forward time a bit, you know?  So Everoc is still Everoc but in the future.

That pretty much was the plan, and I'm still kind of against a direct sequel to be honest. Reboot with all the fat cut off, sure. Sequel? Ehhhh....

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile

Yup.

That pretty much was the plan, and I'm still kind of against a direct sequel to be honest. Reboot with all the fat cut off, sure. Sequel? Ehhhh....
Sequel-with-Cliff's Notes, perhaps?
Just the essential facts of the canon, Parasol, Ballpoint, Eris, STONE, Mr Frog playing all of them.  In-jokes can be left in place, however, for anyone crazy enough to read SBI.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 06:52:43 pm by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Still, Mr Frog gave a good descriptor in his fort Clobbermountains. Spearbreakers is a hideous, deformed, ill-tempered baby, and one that doesn't need our help to press on.

Mostly because the local wildlife wants to avoid it and anything stupid enough to go near it further sustains it's existence. If some other group wants to do a direct sequel, I'd say more power to'em.

But the way this place turned out has burned me out of it, and made me thoroughly not wanna fuck with it any further in this form. Not to say there's not a ton of stuff that could be drawn on for a direct sequel, just it'd take far too much work to do well on the modding front.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile

Still, Mr Frog gave a good descriptor in his fort Clobbermountains. Spearbreakers is a hideous, deformed, ill-tempered baby, and one that doesn't need our help to press on.

Mostly because the local wildlife wants to avoid it and anything stupid enough to go near it further sustains it's existence. If some other group wants to do a direct sequel, I'd say more power to'em.

But the way this place turned out has burned me out of it, and made me thoroughly not wanna fuck with it any further in this form. Not to say there's not a ton of stuff that could be drawn on for a direct sequel, just it'd take far too much work to do well on the modding front.

Obligatory link pimping my fort

My main concern with doing a full sequel would be that it'd be waaaaay too intimidating for many new people to get into, I think, considering how ridiculously-convoluted the backstory is.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies
Pages: 1 ... 744 745 [746] 747 748 ... 815