Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wait for Next Version, Use current (.40.24,) or use older release (.34.11?)

Wait for the next release. I want usable mugs damn it!
- 55 (71.4%)
We can use the current one. I like the big trees and slightly smarter dorfs.
- 17 (22.1%)
I'll take .34.11 thanks. I want to know I'll get to kill things for sure.
- 5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 725 726 [727] 728 729 ... 815

Author Topic: [34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move  (Read 2259736 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: [34.11] Spearbreakers - Sequel or Do-over?
« Reply #10890 on: January 13, 2015, 01:12:45 pm »

Ouch. Well, mostly it's been discussion about a do-over and Spawn testing. Also sent a PM.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10891 on: January 13, 2015, 01:38:05 pm »

Starweaver: You're right, Reudh probably would have gone after Vanya. Katie might have too, but she was a bit exhausted after the spells she did, so I don't think she would've managed. The police bit makes sense too. I knew there were flaws in the plot but couldn't quite put my finger on them.

@Splint: Ultimately I'd much rather have a sequel, and I'd be willing to put in the modding time necessary to get it to work... but I think it looks like more people voted for the do-over, and you've clearly already put a lot of work into making it... I think that's decided at this point.

I'm with Starweaver. The subplots were my favorite part, and how they all wove their way into the Spearbreakers universe. Who knows, though - maybe some enterprising souls will come along someday and create a Spearbreakers II for us, continuing the tradition of each fort in the series being created by new people. I'd be all for that, honestly, and it'd make me proud.

Quote from: Splint
it was the side stories predominantly written by Talvieno with a noticeably smaller amount of input from me, Mr Frog, Reudh, and Hans that made the place by and large what it became: A crazy, fucked up mess so convoluted and rife with errors, crossovers, stubborn authors, and just in general being a setting that was a barely understandable disaster area for even some of us here that the fact we can even make any sense of it is astounding.
Awwww, I'm touched. That was a pretty nice thing to say.

Anyway, yes. The fort itself stagnated, just like you said. The side stories were the best part. I feel bad, honestly, for anyone who read the fort but not the side stories. Anyone who did was missing out on so, so much. Hans' stuff, and Mr Frog's stuff, and of course your stuff... It's the "younger blood" that mostly seem to be against a sequel.

@Mr Frog: Agreed that not pushing people to get their updates out was a mistake. And..... yeah. Your points stand. I guess redo makes more sense. The community lockout wouldn't be a good thing at all, and there's no way to sensibly pare down the information to something manageable that we could expect everyone to read.

Also agreeing with the flesh-and-blood dwarves only.

And the artwork for Spearbreakers was amazing. The community contribution outstanding... The sentimental value there makes it really hard for me to be totally on-board with a redo.

And I'll switch back to my old avatar, perhaps... Although, truth be told, I think I didn't even have an avatar until six months through the fort. :P

Urgh. I was super-proud because it looked like it had worked and the leaves were changing properly and no FPS-killing bullshit was being strewn about, but then winter came around and all of the leaves and fruit dropped off of the trees simultaneously. fffFFFFfff

TOADYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
This made me laugh. :P I missed you guys.

Anyway, I'm up for the redo. Not sure if it'll turn out exactly the same way, but hey, who knows.

Also, can we please have Dorf!Mr Frog in the redo? :P I don't mind if Vanya gets cut, but the fort wouldn't be the same without Mr Frog.

And finally... I'm not sure how much my opinion counts for. I've never really done a good job at keeping up with things. :P
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 01:43:34 pm by Talvieno »
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #10892 on: January 13, 2015, 02:00:58 pm »

Talvi msg me bby <3 <3 <3

Also, can we please have Dorf!Mr Frog in the redo?

No and yes. Mr Frog himself is in fact banned by Splint's own rules re: one's OC having to be a flesh-and-blood dwarf (strike one, worth noting that Splint specifically said no gnomes :p) with no super-dwarven abilities (strike two) or knowledge outside of what is normal for the setting (strike three and he's, most definitively, out). I didn't see anything in the rules he PM'd me specifically banning planeshifters but I'll respect his intent. I could most certainly write in an equivalent with a similar personality and affiliation but I also want to try someone else and I don't think Splint will let me have two OCs (*puppy-dog eyes*).
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10893 on: January 13, 2015, 02:05:04 pm »

I also want to try someone else and I don't think Splint will let me have two OCs (*puppy-dog eyes*).

Man i couldn't give a rat's ass if you gobble up extra dorfs if you feel like it. Chances are we'll have more than we'll have people who want'em.

@ Talvieno: Obviously your opinion matters. Hence why you got a message with the beta version of the new fort's OP.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10894 on: January 13, 2015, 09:51:06 pm »

Y'all will probably be pleased to realise that I made a mistake when attempting to disable leaf/fruit litter on trees and failed to remove the responsible tag from all types of tree. While the trees I left the tag on are dropping leaves and fruit as normal, the others are not dropping anything at all. Their bases are clear of litter. It worked. You just have to make sure to do a find+replace in both plant_new_trees.txt and plant_standard.txt (I only did the former, not realising that the latter also had trees defined in it). This is good news.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolf Acolyte of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #10895 on: January 15, 2015, 03:59:19 pm »

[snip]

Hurrah! The FPS has been struck down by a spinning *Mr Frog*!
TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:
The first time you see this, copy it i

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10896 on: January 15, 2015, 05:35:43 pm »

[snip]

No, that would be if I'd secretly modded trees to grow triple the amount of twigs and drop leaves constantly year-round.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10897 on: January 15, 2015, 05:42:49 pm »

[snip]

No, that would be if I'd secretly modded trees to grow triple the amount of twigs and drop leaves constantly year-round.
An act punishable by having your eyelids stapled open, your person lashed to a chair, and forced to endure a manamaid lap dance.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10898 on: January 15, 2015, 05:44:47 pm »

[snip]

An act punishable by having your eyelids stapled open,
Eh.  :-\

your person lashed to a chair,
Eh.  ::)

and forced to endure a manamaid lap dance.
OH GOD HOW COULD YOU EVEN THINK OF DOING SOMETHING SO HORRIBLE

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolf Acolyte of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #10899 on: January 15, 2015, 08:26:40 pm »

Horrible[/u]

See: Bay12, Dwarf Fortress, Mermaid Harvesting. Originally meant 'to be horrifying', now generally accepted to mean 'THAT WAS AWESOME! DO IT AGAIN!'

Similiar words: !!FUN!!, Hilarious, Amusing.

-The (Unofficial) Dwarven Dictionary
TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:
The first time you see this, copy it i

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10900 on: January 15, 2015, 08:30:15 pm »

Talonis, I respect you, but I don't think you quite understand the horror that is manamaids.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10901 on: January 15, 2015, 09:24:13 pm »

Talonis, manamaids are... Well... The sight would kill a spawn. A blind spawn.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

zacen299

• Bay Watcher
  • And again everything goes wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10902 on: January 15, 2015, 10:37:55 pm »

Remind me again who came up with manamaids and why?
I (somehow) wield a marble coffin that i fill with the corpses of all I have slain (to make an already heavy object even heavier) in one hand, and the other holds a book made out out of fucking platinum. The book can crush skulls, and the coffin grows ever stronger and now that is has a few dead dragons in it, it sends people flying a mile backwards to explode in a pile of gore. Gore which I then place into the coffin,

Propman

• Bay Watcher
  • Eh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10903 on: January 16, 2015, 04:13:33 am »

We're still adding em' in, right?
Quote from: from Pathos on April 07, 2010, 08:29:05 pm »
( It was inevitable, really. )

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10904 on: January 16, 2015, 05:37:16 am »

Remind me again who came up with manamaids and why?

I think it was Talvi, but in true Spearbreaker's spirit... Blame Reudh

Reudh I'm sorry
Pages: 1 ... 725 726 [727] 728 729 ... 815