Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wait for Next Version, Use current (.40.24,) or use older release (.34.11?)

Wait for the next release. I want usable mugs damn it!
- 55 (71.4%)
We can use the current one. I like the big trees and slightly smarter dorfs.
- 17 (22.1%)
I'll take .34.11 thanks. I want to know I'll get to kill things for sure.
- 5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 724 725 [726] 727 728 ... 815

Author Topic: [34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move  (Read 2259706 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: [34.11] Spearbreakers - Sequel or Do-over?
« Reply #10875 on: January 10, 2015, 10:34:05 am »

In terms of stats I still think they need adjusting to be more readily survivable encounters to a less well-off (read: early) militia. My test location got absurdly lucky and had iron and coal on-site. I will note, that said luck obviously didn't extend to those two soldiers, and as a result 1-wide walkways have been added to the outside of the bridge.

As to them roaming off, it's likely they were just passing through the area and happened to notice the residents, or less likely, even on a genuine emu hunting trip. Granted it still showed off the spawn being stupidly durable as normal but still, it was a less than optimal combat test.

Question, does anyone remember how long Spawn fever takes to kick in?

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #10876 on: January 10, 2015, 02:53:34 pm »

'Bout three months. Transform rate was supposed to be about 25% but, in 34x at least, there was a bug that caused the transformation to become guaranteed if you saved and reloaded prior to the time elapsing. I think I may have just cut out the middleman and made the transform rate 100% this time around but I might not have. Gonna go raw-diving.

E: Transform rate is still supposed to be 25%. Not sure if Toady fixed the bug responsible or not.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 02:56:46 pm by Mr Frog »
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10877 on: January 10, 2015, 03:00:41 pm »

Actual fever indicated "basically dead" right? Because if so I should probably make sure he doen't have anything useful on the victim.

Awaiting an additional test force of spawn. Hopefully this time they won't wander off and my idiot soldiers won't go drowning themselves.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10878 on: January 10, 2015, 03:02:27 pm »

Fever occurs regardless of whether the dwarf will actually transform. Still best to quarantine any dwarves that get feverish, though.

E: @Zacen: I think there's a tag to make them ignore wildlife if that's what you're talking about.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 03:07:20 pm by Mr Frog »
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10879 on: January 10, 2015, 03:09:34 pm »

Fever occurs regardless of whether the dwarf will actually transform. Still best to quarantine any dwarves that get feverish, though.

E: @Zacen: I think there's a tag to make them ignore wildlife if that's what you're talking about.

The tag in question is [AT_PEACE_WITH_WILDLIFE] which should not under any circumstance be added to the Spawn.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10880 on: January 10, 2015, 04:50:29 pm »

The tag in question is [AT_PEACE_WITH_WILDLIFE] which should not under any circumstance be added to the Spawn.

Teehee. I know. It wouldn't particularly be in character for them.

zacen299

• Bay Watcher
  • And again everything goes wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10881 on: January 10, 2015, 06:58:33 pm »

I get why we wouldn't want that on the spawn, but I'm curious what has that tag naturally?
I (somehow) wield a marble coffin that i fill with the corpses of all I have slain (to make an already heavy object even heavier) in one hand, and the other holds a book made out out of fucking platinum. The book can crush skulls, and the coffin grows ever stronger and now that is has a few dead dragons in it, it sends people flying a mile backwards to explode in a pile of gore. Gore which I then place into the coffin,

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10882 on: January 10, 2015, 07:24:34 pm »

Elves. Maybe kobolds as well but I can't remember clearly. It basically makes wildlife ignore the creature and the creature ignore wildlife. [INVADERS_IGNORE_NEUTRALS] (or whatever the tag was) may be required in the entity for it to work properly for sieges but I'm really just speculating with that and have nothing to base this on.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10883 on: January 10, 2015, 07:36:21 pm »

I like the idea of sieges eating the local wildlife, and the idea of spawn tying to turn EVERYTHING they come across.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Starweaver396

• Bay Watcher
  • Misplaced
    • View Profile
« Reply #10884 on: January 10, 2015, 11:20:22 pm »

I get why we wouldn't want that on the spawn, but I'm curious what has that tag naturally?

Cats have it as well, although it's buried in a tag that gives them two or three other properties besides it.
...a limbless, headless, bloodless and mutilated dwarf torso that is nevertheless kept alive through benevolent faerie magicks. He is blind, helpless, and in excruciating pain, and yet does not die...
E: I should point out that this is all because of Starweaver giving me inspiration   Aren't you happy with yourself, Starweaver?

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolf Acolyte of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #10885 on: January 11, 2015, 04:26:36 pm »

Teehee. I know. It wouldn't particularly be in character for them.

Definately, with one exception:

"Mooan Chatter chatter!"
Translation : "Kill everythin- awww, what a adorable kitty."

...and suddenly Spawn have Tactical Catsplosion Payloads. Biological Weapons using Biological Weapons, would that be considered Ironic?
TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:
The first time you see this, copy it i

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10886 on: January 12, 2015, 11:38:31 am »

Okay, so invasions aren't exactly working as intended. Yeah, Spawn are showing up in small groups of 3-8, but they've so far appeared, and then left, presumably actually being groups wandering around. However, thier thieves were more than willing to come in one neat bundle of five individuals and they even attacked the militia!

Result: 5 dead spawn and some free psychological trauma for everyone who saw 3 die on the trade depot. Now these are elite soldiers who've had some practice on trogs, emu, and other critters where needed, and about a year or so of straight training. This shows that the spawn will need one hell of a numeric advantage to beat exceptionally well trained soldiers. Granted it might have been because the leader's dog distracted them but still.

Slightly leading cause of death was edged pulping - cloven asunder, cut away from the tissue (essentially resulted in a bisection.) Take your pick. After that was heart damage of course, with a chest stab from a falchion and a chop from an axehammer killing the victims. Still waiting on "the big one" though where I can see how the spawn fare when they have some serious numeric superiority.

In other news, I've tidied up the TVT page slightly, made some stuff reflect the fact the fort's over, added a trope and some examples to others for the barbarians, and in general made some stuff easier to read (while my own examples are probably a bit wordy.)

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10887 on: January 12, 2015, 03:07:35 pm »

Okay, so invasions aren't exactly working as intended. Yeah, Spawn are showing up in small groups of 3-8, but they've so far appeared, and then left, presumably actually being groups wandering around.

Ruh-roh. Does this happen with other hostile civs, or do I need to go raw-diving?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10888 on: January 12, 2015, 03:13:05 pm »

Okay, so invasions aren't exactly working as intended. Yeah, Spawn are showing up in small groups of 3-8, but they've so far appeared, and then left, presumably actually being groups wandering around.

Ruh-roh. Does this happen with other hostile civs, or do I need to go raw-diving?

Most likely the former, but it's also possible the "armies" were just a bunch of jackoffs roaming around. I'm also below "Siege" population (60 rather than 80) so that may be a factor.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10889 on: January 13, 2015, 12:45:59 pm »

Whoa. o.O Think I missed something... been away mostly because a death in the family. I sort of dropped off the Internet for a while... need to do some catch-up reading, it looks like.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 12:47:50 pm by Talvieno »
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand
Pages: 1 ... 724 725 [726] 727 728 ... 815